The mood of Defcon gives me the creeps

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

FullSciencePackgage
level0

The mood of Defcon gives me the creeps

Postby FullSciencePackgage » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:37 am

Fantastic game!

Just bought it and I'm addicted, but reluctant every time I start it up. It gives me the creeps. Something about the sterility of the interface, the cold facts and the gruesome soundtrack, topped with that womans crying echo from the cold walls of a bomb shelter. Thumbs up for the sound department! Really puts images in my mind. Oh, and of course the gameplay is top notch.

Defcon is definitely a case of "less is more". But perhaps some static/blurs across the screen when a nuke hits homeland would be nice? Or maybe some political buildup and ground troops? Woops, guess that's for another topic..

All you nuke nerds/weirdos/psychos out there, get hold of "Trinity and beyond (The Atomic Bomb Movie)"
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:40 am

Listening to the music for long periods is not good for you. I have done psychological tests on flatmates.

Play some of your own tunes instead.

I like Paul Oakenfold high tempo music to Defcon.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:55 am

Welcome home FullSciencePackgage :D

Just dont care about Cobra, it is a lazy student in psychological :arrow:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:28 am

I had the same feelings when I first played the game, but for better or for worse they have long since gone away.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:52 am

It goes away? Aw... :(
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:33 pm

Feud wrote:I had the same feelings when I first played the game, but for better or for worse they have long since gone away.

I think that would be for worse :s
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:26 pm

martin wrote:
Feud wrote:I had the same feelings when I first played the game, but for better or for worse they have long since gone away.

I think that would be for worse :s

What if it never ever bothered you to begin with?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
mallebrok
level1
level1

Postby mallebrok » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:11 pm

For me, the fading pitch in the background soundtrack every time someone gets a mayor hit to my population, is one of the most depressing sounds i have experienced in games.

I remember the first many default games i lost because i was too defensive and tried to avoid it happen :)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:What if it never ever bothered you to begin with?

I don't recall the atmosphere of the game ever bothering me, I guess that I am more attuned to personal suffering rather than the cold, clinical suffering that Defcon is about.

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (supposedly).

I've been raised with video games - particularly strategy games - so I've never been too bothered about sending swarms of people off to their collective deaths, but when I play first person shooters and games with a more one-to-one personal aspect I have great trouble killing my enemies if they do anything like talk to each other and other humanising actions. ^^;
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 am

I like the feeling of being the ghost in the machine that Introversion evoked in Defcon and Uplink. It lets you use your imagination. Every time I crashed a central mainframe in Uplink, I pictured a bunch of executives panicking and wondering what on Earth they would have to do next. Every time a game of Defcon ends, I think of the closing scenes of The War Game and imagine them happening on a terrible global scale. It helps that Defcon's music augments the game's mournful atmosphere.

I hope Subversion will create that feeling again.

Return to “General”