DEDCON Setup Help

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

rstd2
level1
level1

DEDCON Setup Help

Postby rstd2 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:46 pm

I am sure there have been hundreds of posts about this program, but unfortunately I "am not experienced enough here" to send private messages, whatever. Anyways, I am trying to set up a DEDCON Dedicated Server, and when I try to edit the ConfigFileX.txts, I cannot, thereafter save to those files (I get a message "Access Denied." I have tried looking up tutorials, but the WayBackMachine of the wiki doesn't take me to the right place, and all of the in-depth tutorials are based around pictures, none of which still work. I have read through all the documentation and sample configs, I just need to figure out how to do the basics.

Please give help, or redirect somewhere else,
-Rstd2
Ärstotzka
level2
level2

Re: DEDCON Setup Help

Postby Ärstotzka » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 pm

You don't need to edit an old one, just make a new file and throw your configuration in there. Call it test.conf then in terminal run it:

Code: Select all

./dedcon /path/to/test.conf
rstd2
level1
level1

Postby rstd2 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Ärstotzka wrote:You don't need to edit an old one, just make a new file and throw your configuration in there. Call it test.conf then in terminal run it:

./dedcon /path/to/test.conf

Well thanks, I was able to work around it. I've run against another issue though. Basically when I try to give myself admin rights I'll do

Admin Sophus~OWNER~0~<password>

Thing is, I'll place my password in there with no white space, and copy every character of it and place it in my chat box and do /login <password>, it tells me I have the wrong password! Do you have any idea what is wrong?
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Try:

Admin Sophus~ ~0~<password>

Player keyID goes where you have put "OWNER". If you don't want to specify the keyID, fill it with a single space.
rstd2
level1
level1

Postby rstd2 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Laika_rus wrote:

Try:

Admin Sophus~ ~0~<password>

Player keyID goes where you have put "OWNER". If you don't want to specify the keyID, fill it with a single space.

No, I looked it up in the sample config, placing OWNER has worked fine, and I don't know if the passwords are being accepted because now I am "fake Sophus" and it won't let me register an account to that! WHY AM I EVEN FAKE SOPHUS, I AM THE ORIGINAL SOPHUS, GOD DAMMIT! And even still, I edited the DuplicateNames variable, and with what you suggested using my exact name, a space for key ID, 0 for the admin level, and my password, it still won't work. Perhaps it's a bug in the latest version?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:41 pm

I think the actual syntax (at least it works for me) to omit the keyID check is

Admin Sophus~~0~<password>

Like the "~" is a field seperator and you dont fill the field.

And while you are fiddeling I would suggest to either omit the keyID check or omit the password

Admin Sophus~OWNER~0~

A "fake" name usually means the keyID check failed, which should not happen if you use OWNER. Does the Server tell you about its own authentication?

Server key authentication succeeded, key id = xxxxxxx.
rstd2
level1
level1

Postby rstd2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:06 am

trickser wrote:I think the actual syntax (at least it works for me) to omit the keyID check is

Admin Sophus~~0~<password>

Like the "~" is a field seperator and you dont fill the field.

And while you are fiddeling I would suggest to either omit the keyID check or omit the password

Admin Sophus~OWNER~0~

A "fake" name usually means the keyID check failed, which should not happen if you use OWNER. Does the Server tell you about its own authentication?

Server key authentication succeeded, key id = xxxxxxx.

I tried removing the password requirement and it worked. I dunno why it wasn't working before.
atomic oracle
level2
level2

Postby atomic oracle » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:28 am

unplug it......then plug it back in, this almost always works for me.

Return to “General”