All American Mobster
level4
level4

Still Global Domination

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 pm

But anyone here played Risk before?

Do you enjoy it?

-$tanley
Last edited by All American Mobster on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Re: Still Global Domination

Postby Hyperion » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:40 pm

All American Mobster wrote:But anyone here played Risk before? Do you enjoy it?

-$tanley

I played Risk on the PS2...was crap...but i love the Risk 'style' world domination modes in the Rise of Nations series :)
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:41 pm

I didnt even know they had it for the PS2.

-$tanley
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Video versions of board games are always crap, unless its the movie version of Clue. :wink: The box version of Risk is great, and I have it at home.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:18 pm

correction: video game versions of board games are always crap when they're not multiplayer accessible to at least four people.

Risk games are usually junk because they're single player. :P

Whereas Facebook Risk is very basic, not even that good, but had a large player base because you can play with anyone around the world in a matter of seconds. Playing with other players is everything.

And yes, I play facebook Risk sometimes lol. It gets boring after a few games though but it's always unpredictable which is fun.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:44 pm

Risk is my middle name, the game was designed as an interactive narrative of my life and adventures.
The ILLUMINATI
level0

Risk

Postby The ILLUMINATI » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:35 am

I played more Hasbro computer Risk than anyone on the planet.
(well not really, but I play hundreds of games and I like the Europe threator the best.)
I hope they come out with it for Vista.
And as far as the board game. I loved playing that with a bunch of friends getting baked and drinking Mountain Dew and eating FunOions and playing the good ole board game.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:39 am

Peace and Love wrote:correction: video game versions of board games are always crap when they're not multiplayer accessible to at least four people.

Risk games are usually junk because they're single player. :P

Whereas Facebook Risk is very basic, not even that good, but had a large player base because you can play with anyone around the world in a matter of seconds. Playing with other players is everything.

And yes, I play facebook Risk sometimes lol. It gets boring after a few games though but it's always unpredictable which is fun.

I hate the way Facebook has turned into MySpace/WAYN/other crap "social networking sites".
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 am

Eh. I kinda saw that as an inevitability. The site is still visually more appealing than MySpace, at any rate. I wish people would opt to use applications less, though.

I've played Risk a few times. You really need to have other people next to you so you can have that fun banter between you and the other players.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:51 am

Feud wrote:Risk is my middle name, the game was designed as an interactive narrative of my life and adventures.

This seem somehow, familiar. :wink:
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:09 am

Mm, Risk good. We have a copy at home, but barely ever play it ... mainly because I have acquired a reputation as a backstabbing backstabber who can't be remotely trusted. :D

Also, it's been cheapened a bit by lots of movie tie-in variants, plus there's a fundamental change in recent editions in the way the reinforcements from cards work, that changes the endgame significantly.

But anyway, this is a game that all Defcon players should love:

Only problem with this one (apart from the aforementioned backstabbing rep) is that it takes faaaar too long to play, and needs 7 players to work properly! (You'd think there'd be seven UK-based ppl who'd come and play Diplomacy for a da..cough..weekend? Drop me a PM if you're bored this winter ...)

Cheers, Tripper
Torp
level1
level1

Postby Torp » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 pm

You can easily modify Diplomacy so that it takes a lot less time. Almost every time I've played Diplomacy, we've managed that.

The trick is to go to a specific, pre-set year. We usually go to 1907, with 10- or 15-minute Diplomacy periods. This takes just an evening, or approximately five hours.

On the subject of good strategy games, anybody ever tried Vinci? That's a good game, too, and has the benefit of only taking a 2-3 hours, as opposed to RISK's full evening and Diplomacy's potential full day to weekend. It's not a game where you try to conquer the world, it's about scoring points with your different civilisations (you play randomly generated civilisations, one at a time, and swap to a new civilisation once you feel like it).
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Risk is indisputably awesome (though I sometimes drop cards, because they can bog things down); on the PC front I find MissionRisk better than the official equivalents, though. I've also got an extremely old box of Diplomacy which I've never played.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Grandstone wrote: You really need to have other people next to you so you can have that fun banter between you and the other players.

Not necessarily, I enjoy playing Risk with me and my divided mind.

-$tanley
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:56 pm

All American Mobster wrote:
Grandstone wrote: You really need to have other people next to you so you can have that fun banter between you and the other players.

Not necessarily, I enjoy playing Risk with me and my divided mind.

-$tanley

That's actually not a bad idea. Sorta like Bobby Fischer playing chess against himself. :wink: Once, my brother-in-law and I tried playing a game openly discussing moves and evaluating each one from both points of view in an attempt to teach our brains to think further down the road (number of moves) and in more depth. Man, that was the hardest game I've ever played but it opened my eyes as to how little I had 'seen' before. It was also the longest game of chess I've ever played. :roll:

Return to “General”