Unbanning people

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Endless
level5
level5

Re: Unbanning people

Postby Endless » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Colytic wrote:I am glad to see the return of the old ways. That said, it is pretty shocking that Baton is not included in this amnesty. Seems like a vendetta.

Were you around when literally every time he posted something, it was anti-US propaganda? He got warning after warning to stop that it was just being trollish. It's not a travesty. It's just keeping us from having to deal with his bullshit.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Endless wrote:Were you around when literally every time he posted something, it was anti-US propaganda? He got warning after warning to stop that it was just being trollish. It's not a travesty. It's just keeping us from having to deal with his bullshit.

(to your question) Yes, I know. But I'd like to put aside my own opinion on the justness of Baton's ban to make the point that under the new system, he surely couldn't qualify for that sanction. It seems that bans are now only intended for extreme circumstances - the worst abusers and liars such as BGP or Sicilian Hound. Considering that Baton promised not to mention politics (or curse anyone) again, as well as his importance in the community, I submit that a reasonable application of the new principles would leave him free to speak here.

Footnote: and I don't think he would have been banned in the old days.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe baton had promised before and broke that promise.
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:47 pm

There was a brief moment I thought were Baton was un-banned and then re-banned, and he began spamming. I don't understand why he needs more then one account, that type of behavior is not good. Perhaps that was just frustration on his part. I have been threatened with a ban by kudayta on here, whilst fighting with him on the servers, I can not imagine how difficult it is must be to have no voice here.

If we are in a new era and a new governance, then a way needs to found to bring baton back into the fold. He is one of the greatest players of all time, he must have a voice here.
Taking into account what happened this past few days and merge everything from the past impose a brand new ban of 30 days. Lakia should try diplomacy with baton, tell him, he will do a set ban then its a fresh start. Under the new governance, a poster can say anything they want so he should not be banned ever again for what he says.

The same thing must take place with hound, impose the most harshest ban possible, that behavior of that kind has no place in this community, I would say he should banned for the rest of the year from the forums. He admitted wrong doing, punishment must follow, after he does his punishment it should end.

LHH
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Lord_Haw_Haw wrote:The same thing must take place with hound, impose the most harshest ban possible, that behavior of that kind has no place in this community, I would say he should banned for the rest of the year from the forums. He admitted wrong doing, punishment must follow, after he does his punishment it should end.

I'm a little confused by this... as far as I can tell, what SicilianHound did was not done on the forums, and was not in violation of the forum terms of service. I get that he violated the trust of a lot of people and was a complete and utter douche, but I don't see why he should be banned from the forums for that... Again, the forums are not the game, and the game is not the forums.

xander
Ärstotzka
level2
level2

Postby Ärstotzka » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 pm

xander wrote:
Lord_Haw_Haw wrote:The same thing must take place with hound, impose the most harshest ban possible, that behavior of that kind has no place in this community, I would say he should banned for the rest of the year from the forums. He admitted wrong doing, punishment must follow, after he does his punishment it should end.

I'm a little confused by this... as far as I can tell, what SicilianHound did was not done on the forums, and was not in violation of the forum terms of service. I get that he violated the trust of a lot of people and was a complete and utter douche, but I don't see why he should be banned from the forums for that... Again, the forums are not the game, and the game is not the forums.

xander

Before starting a new conversation you should probably finish your old one: Nagasaki and Hiroshima
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Dynamic wrote:Before starting a new conversation you should probably finish your old one: Nagasaki and Hiroshima

I was not aware that further comment was needed in that topic before posting in another topic.

xander
Ärstotzka
level2
level2

Postby Ärstotzka » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 pm

xander wrote:
Dynamic wrote:Before starting a new conversation you should probably finish your old one: Nagasaki and Hiroshima

I was not aware that further comment was needed in that topic before posting in another topic.

xander

The thing is you're just a troll. You're just coming in here after things are starting to recover, as we work things out as a community, to just poke us and agitate an already some what volatile situation. You never actually stay to finish a debate you start. All you do is start a heated debate and make a lot of people upset then leave. Please don't come in here and take a cheap opportunity to get a inflammatory comment in then go back to idling, waiting for your next moment to strike and continue your cycle.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Dynamic wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

The thing is you're just a troll. You're just coming in here after things are starting to recover, as we work things out as a community, to just poke us and agitate an already some what volatile situation. You never actually stay to finish a debate you start. All you do is start a heated debate and make a lot of people upset then leave. Please don't come in here and take a cheap opportunity to get a inflammatory comment in then go back to idling, waiting for your next moment to strike and continue your cycle.

You're a bit out of your league, and it's clear you don't know who Xander is. See all of those badges under his avatar? He's a beta tester for all of those games. See the amount of posts he has? He belongs to more than one forum. He is not trolling, he has been around a lot longer than you. To even insinuate he is a troll is ludicrous. His opinion, whether I agree with him or not, is always valued.
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:54 pm

kudayta wrote:Vic has told me to reban Baton. He's in the "huge jerK" category.

The above quote is the forums policy in action I am replying too. I am only giving my opinion on a way forward, for Baton and Hound with regards to the "huge jerK" category. Maybe this needs to be put to Vic and Kudayta, were in the violation of the forum terms of service did baton and hound mess up?

LHH

xander wrote:

xander
Ärstotzka
level2
level2

Postby Ärstotzka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:09 am

Endless wrote:You're a bit out of your league, and it's clear you don't know who Xander is. See all of those badges under his avatar? He's a beta tester for all of those games. See the amount of posts he has? He belongs to more than one forum. He is not trolling, he has been around a lot longer than you. To even insinuate he is a troll is ludicrous. His opinion, whether I agree with him or not, is always valued.

I know who he is, but it's irrelevant it's still true that these days, he only posts on the defcon forums to make a cheap point and instigate others. I don't value his cheap point posts just like he doesn't value the defcon community.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:12 am

I don't think Sicilian Hound's actions are forgivable.

I doubt he is sorry either, because he recently sent me a threatening PM saying he was looking to bring me down.

xander wrote:I'm a little confused by this... as far as I can tell, what SicilianHound did was not done on the forums, and was not in violation of the forum terms of service

This isn't the case.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:44 am

Dynamic wrote: he only posts on the defcon forums to make a cheap point and instigate others.

That's pretty much what everyone else does in these "arguments"
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:54 am

Either way you look at it either side won't be happy...."what's fair/not fair?" will always be a topic of discussion tbh and no one has any solid ideas or plans to contribute to this "conversation" besides "I'm right! No, I'm right!" type of shit ...so yeah idk what to tell everyone
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:01 am

Endless wrote:Were you around when literally every time he posted something, it was anti-US propaganda? He got warning after warning to stop that it was just being trollish. It's not a travesty. It's just keeping us from having to deal with his bullshit.

"Anti-US propaganda" is way too vague to justify a ban. The US has done, and continues to do, many deplorable things. That's not "propaganda". These forums are not the best place to debate them, but I think the Hiroshima & Nagasaki thread was relevant enough here. Anyway, it's not like there's anything stopping you from posting anti-Croatian things. There's no shortage of tidbits from the NDH period that you could bring up. Also a sizable war in the 90s.

xander wrote: Again, the forums are not the game, and the game is not the forums.

They're not the same, but they are still related. One can significantly enhance the other. Tournaments, for instance, require forum access for posting screenshots, tracking results, and organizing matches. On the other side, actually playing the game can give you a better understanding of the people that you are talking about. Bans should be reserved for extremely poor conduct, especially when they concern pillars of the actively playing community.

Return to “General”