3v3, no backstabs.

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Blackbeard
level4
level4

3v3, no backstabs.

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:51 am

Anyone at all interested in playing the above?

I've played a few Diplomacy games recently which have turned into 3v3 games, but no-one I've asked seems to want to start a game with the explicit intention of making it so (Jean Luc :) ) from the start.
Anyway, it's late, and I'll be going to bed soon, but if you are interested, make a reply, and perhaps we can drag 6 players into a server within the next couple of days.
PS. Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:20 am

Herro :D

You mean which mode ? Diplomacy, Default, Totally Random ...
If diplomacy it is difficult to play 3 vs 3 full game, for Default mode or Totally Random you can use defection off option.

In any case I reserve my place for now, you can also ask Bert for the help to use this mode on DedCon Test Servers when a game is organized.. 8)
SyndicatedINC
level0

Postby SyndicatedINC » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:47 am

I run a game like that every once in awhile. I used ot host it very often but now with the dedcons I find I no longer need to host. though if I do you will usually catch me doing so on Saturday or Sunday between 1700 GMT and 2330 GMT

The game I run like that is called North vs South. It is played as a locked alliance (ie defection turned off) survivor mode game with 50 cities and 200 population. 3v3 (North America, Europe, Russia, vs South America, Africa, Asia).

I came up with it on my own about 5 days after launch of the game last year. I dont know if anyone did that particular game with predetermined forced alliances or not before me (if so I'd be interested in hearing about it). I ran a lot of them in Nov, Dec, 2006 and Jan, Feb 07, after that I got too busy to play defcon regularly until a month ago.

On the old game occasionally I used VUC (variable unit count) but that wasn't a mainstay of the format. I also lowered the final countdown timer to 15 and increased the time duration to 55. This was due to the extreme teamwork oriented nature of the game. Often times it was advantageous to have one nation hold back nukes, while tyhe other 2 dumped them, and this could prematurely cause final countdowns before the nations plans could be implemented (in other words alot of military blown up but the final stirkes on cities would never happen). So the increased timer length and decreased nuke threshold created a more balanced approach (essentially it is like 3 people controlling 1 giant empire). Also the increased timer length was necessary to help prevent Nuke supression (this was an abusive tactic whereby nations could keep a steady stream of nukes launched at one opponent, thereby forcing them into a permanent defensive. Prior to the adjustment it was not uncommon for a nation to go an entire game without firing a silo nuke because they never could without their silos being instantly destroyed. This prevented that by creating a situation where by if you do this, then eventually you are out of nukes to throw, and they have plenty of time to open up with all their remaining nukes. (its about teamwork to dominate your opponents and prevent casualties, not about kill grabbing first)

Under the newer version of defcon I have found that equalized cities option works ideally for this, as it truly requires one team to defeat the other team militarily in order to win the game via score as well. Creating an even greater need for teamwork and coordination.

If you are interested I could run one soon.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:36 am

There is no way to force players into the north vs south alliance in DedDon. The best you can do is

Code: Select all

/include team
or just disable defection and random territories from the start, and ask people to make the alliance.
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:46 am

[({Re-energisation almost complete})]
Last edited by Cobra Commander on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:08 am

Herro :lol:
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Nothing to add really, just wanted to make sure the 'idea' got as much exposure as possible :)

...I've been thinking about 2v2v2. I've played a few, and they can be quite good, but how many times while playing one have you had a private message from an opponent saying, "if you put us (blue team for example) on ceasefire, we can finish off (eg) red team, and then fight each other"?
It wears thin after a while. Anyway, I'll keep thimking of things to add :)
R.Reagan
level1
level1

Hurray!

Postby R.Reagan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 am

When i see your game i´ll join ;)
Batou
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Ha ha, you won't see my game :( . You see, my Pc. was built during the time of Richard III, and my internet connection is relayed back and forth by carrier pigeon, so it's very unlikely I'll be hosting a game until I can get my backside into the 21st. Century. (But when I do, hosting will be the first thing I do do, er do :roll: )

Another suggestion for a game-mode however: Default Diplomacy, (or Diplomacy Default :? ), where everyone stays as allies until at least Defcon 1. So, what you have in effect, is a Default game, where everyone knows what everyone else is doing, but can't do anything about it, other than play cat and mouse, until Defcon 1, when the shooting war really starts :wink: .

Of course, nothing there can be enforced, so you would need players who could be trusted to keep to the spirit of the game (no sneaky ending of ceasefires etc. :evil: ).

To re-iterate: Its a Default game, but everyone agrees to ally (with radar sharing and ceasefire) until Defcon 1. Think on it :D

Return to “General”