General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

keger
level1
level1

AKE servers shutting down on June 1st

Postby keger » Sat May 23, 2015 8:17 am

Hi folks,

After 8 years of uninterrupted service, the AKE Group Defcon servers and the associated website will permanently go dark on June 1st. I know some haters out there won't give a damn but I thought I'd let the rest of you guys know so you have time to grab the recordings you want.

We are currently hosting 5500+ recordings (about 2.5GB uncompressed). After the servers are taken down I'll post a dump of all of them as well as the database from the website, though obviously it'll be much harder to find a specific recording.

As for the backstory, e-t172 and I discovered the game when it was released almost 10 years ago and we used to play fairly regularly, so when bert_the_turtle came out with his dedicated server we decided to host one (then two, then three, then four) on a machine we were leasing. We were both in college back then and had plenty of time to set this up, but as you can imagine a lot has changed in 8 years: today we both have full-time sysadmin jobs and simply don't have time to play nor take care of these servers. More importantly, the machine we've been leasing all these years does not serve any purpose anymore so we do not intend on renewing it when the bill comes due next month.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

/keger
FunkyMonkeyBaby
level2
level2

Re: AKE servers shutting down on June 1st

Postby FunkyMonkeyBaby » Sat May 23, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for AKE server admins. I have been addicted to this game about 2 more years and held many diplomacy games on AKE server with many folks. Good luck!
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Sun May 24, 2015 8:05 pm

keger wrote:I know some haters out there won't give a damn but I thought I'd let the rest of you guys know so you have time to grab the recordings you want.

As much as real players sneer at diplomacy, it is an approachable mode that both eases new people into the game mechanics and provides a fun format for people who never will be (or don't care about getting) very good. The AKE servers were a great service to the community and there's definitely an end of an era feel to them going dark.

Thank you for providing them all these years and for preserving the dcrecs. They don't have the same historic value as the classic 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 matches, but they're where a lot of people got their start.
atomic oracle
level2
level2

Postby atomic oracle » Mon May 25, 2015 12:37 am

Thank you keger for the years of AKE. I started playing when your servers were pretty new and I have grown with them. I cut my teeth on 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 and then stepped up to the apex of Defcon, diplomacy and never looked back. Now I find myself now like you were then, a partner with a fellow server owner. We don't want to see AKE go and if you could go to your inbox here on the forums my partner Lord HawHaw has a message for you. Thank you again, ATOMIC ORACLE.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Mon May 25, 2015 2:10 am

Good natured sneering at diplo players aside, let's not all forget that keger and the AKE administration passively encouraged cheating and the subsequent erosion of integrity of this game. I for one, bid him a fond farewell.

Don't come back asshole.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon May 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Hello Kereger,

Defcon is a old well sought out game that has a very rich culture and history.

Hearing you taking down your servers is a shame.

My intentions are only to seek and preserve the rich history of Defcon.

All I ask of you, not for me but for Defcons sake give someone or me the Event Files and Recording. So it may be preserved and archived for the future of Defcon.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon May 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Would it be possible for someone to host your servers under the brand name AKE as well?
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon May 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:Would it be possible for someone to host your servers under the brand name AKE as well?

I don't like that idea at all. Just let them die. The ake servers were the Wild West with no authority interference, something that i liked. It wouldn't be the same if say G6 took over.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue May 26, 2015 12:47 am

kudayta wrote:Good natured sneering at diplo players aside, let's not all forget that keger and the AKE administration passively encouraged cheating and the subsequent erosion of integrity of this game. I for one, bid him a fond farewell.

Don't come back asshole.

lololololol +1
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Tue May 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Endless wrote:
Sicilian Hound wrote:Would it be possible for someone to host your servers under the brand name AKE as well?

I don't like that idea at all. Just let them die. The ake servers were the Wild West with no authority interference, something that i liked. It wouldn't be the same if say G6 took over.

Seconded. I think this would be a sham. Please be better than this, G6.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Wed May 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you for years of service! Also, saying that AKE servers were some kind of Wild West, I'm pretty sure the Phoenix servers are doing fairly well at being completely un-moderated pieces of crap at the moment :)
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 pm

What? Group 6 Admins police Aug servers and make bans.

I am certain Aug servers are not the Wild Wild West running unchecked by cheaters and ragers alike.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Thu May 28, 2015 10:14 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:What? Group 6 Admins police Aug servers and make bans.

I am certain Aug servers are not the Wild Wild West running unchecked by cheaters and ragers alike.

Nope. I have no affiliations to G6. As such, they indeed are running unchecked by cheaters and ragers alike.
Eral
level4
level4

Postby Eral » Thu May 28, 2015 2:08 pm

What a tragical news!

I would like to thx these AKE adminstrators. We had a lot of fun thanks to you, your servers and website.
i would like to do smthg. It's a part of the game history wich goes away and i'll feel me a little orphan :( . Hopping you stay in the near, who you could be, keger and any other member of the AKE team.

Thank you very much.

Edit: will be there this WE for a last row.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Thu May 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Eral when did AKE have Admins?? Lol

Return to “General”