General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Endless
level5
level5

Re: AKE servers shutting down on June 1st

Postby Endless » Thu May 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:Eral when did AKE have Admins?? Lol

Just because they don't log in every chance, doesn't mean they weren't behind the scenes doing things.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri May 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Enlighten me, would like to know these cheater enabler admins. They did a super shitty job of enforcing any kind of sportsmanship or protection on AKE what so ever.

Don't get me wrong having no Admins made it the wild wild west of DEFCON. Its what gave AKE its "unique" reputation. Weather it was good or not, I did get my start there and I did too grow up with AKE over the many years I been around. Honestly its quite saddening to see them go.. I guess this is my goodbye post to AKE...

I tip my hat a goodbye keger.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Fri May 29, 2015 9:05 pm

I actually don't know what got this, "keger endorses cheating" talk started. I've even asked before where the proof is and wasn't shown anything. It's definitely not on these forums. So if kud could show us that I'd appreciate it.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Sat May 30, 2015 3:10 am

Endless wrote:I actually don't know what got this, "keger endorses cheating" talk started. I've even asked before where the proof is and wasn't shown anything. It's definitely not on these forums. So if kud could show us that I'd appreciate it.

Oh it started back during the BGP Incident. I had sent keger several recordings where he was ghosting, and keger responded that he wasn't going to do anything about that.

If I get bored tonight, I'll see if I can find them again.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Sat May 30, 2015 5:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6739&p=120235#p120235

I think that makes his stance on that issue very clear.
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:29 am

Servers have been shut down.

Endless wrote:I actually don't know what got this, "keger endorses cheating" talk started. I've even asked before where the proof is and wasn't shown anything. It's definitely not on these forums. So if kud could show us that I'd appreciate it.

Oh, kudayta simply wasn't happy that I refused to ban people based on his word.

As I've said before we long ago stopped having time to play Defcon so although it is true we couldn't actively monitor the servers (or get to know who we could trust with admin privileges), we did ban cheaters based on player feedback... but that doesn't mean we would just ban anyone who's been accused without proper proof. Around that time I even enabled IP logging in the publicly available recordings so that it would be easier for people to build their case against cheaters. As Endless pointed out, when presented with enough evidence we did go ahead and ban people (we've also acted on multiple email reports over the years).

Also, a GriefLog shared between all AKE servers was enabled in October 2012 with pretty harsh thresholds in the server settings and there have been 1700 entries in that file since then:

Code: Select all

:~$ cut -d "," -f4 griefers.log | sort | uniq -c
   1098  grief = earlyQuit
    211  grief = noReady
    335  grief = spam
     57  grief = voteKick

Sicilian Hound wrote:Would it be possible for someone to host your servers under the brand name AKE as well?

That would be kind of stupid since they would be different servers in all aspects.

Sicilian Hound wrote:All I ask of you, not for me but for Defcons sake give someone or me the Event Files and Recording. So it may be preserved and archived for the future of Defcon.

We never kept the event files, they were deleted as soon as the games were added to the website. We did keep all recordings since mid-2012 though, just hang tight while I find a place to store them.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 am

keger wrote:That would be kind of stupid since they would be different servers in all aspects.

Though maybe keeping the variety of name would appeal to the community. It doesn't matter now, we filled the gap of servers when you left. Is all good. :D

keger wrote:We never kept the event files, they were deleted as soon as the games were added to the website. We did keep all recordings since mid-2012 though, just hang tight while I find a place to store them.

That is a shame, oh well.. :| Okay will hang in there but.., would you be willing to dump the recordings on our mainframe?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Hey, I missed the opportunity to make a backup of the recordings. Any chance I can get them?

Also: everything chances, but AKE going down hits my sentiment. Farewell.
VSj
level2
level2

Postby VSj » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:09 pm

keger wrote:just hang tight while I find a place to store them.

That can be arranged. PM if there's a need.
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:53 am

Sorry for the delay, been busy.

Here's everything: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LZex ... dQeW8/view (514 MB)

There are a little bit more than 5500 recordings split into 4 folders (one per server).

Also included is a recordings.sql file containing the list of recordings. The database schema is pretty simple: one table with an incremental recording ID as primary key, the start and end timestamps for the game, the list of players (in one field, separated by |, dirty I know...), the server number and the filename for the recording.
Kangaraptor
level2
level2

Postby Kangaraptor » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:22 am

Noryb wrote:
keger wrote:I know some haters out there won't give a damn but I thought I'd let the rest of you guys know so you have time to grab the recordings you want.

As much as real players sneer at diplomacy, it is an approachable mode that both eases new people into the game mechanics and provides a fun format for people who never will be (or don't care about getting) very good. The AKE servers were a great service to the community and there's definitely an end of an era feel to them going dark.

Thank you for providing them all these years and for preserving the dcrecs. They don't have the same historic value as the classic 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 matches, but they're where a lot of people got their start.

The realest players of DEFCON were the diplomacy players. It took a special skillset to bullshit everyone while you peed in their faces.

The fact that DEFCON has come down to segregating diplo and the "real" (I want to puke a bit saying that) tourney-gamer players is nothing short of disgusting and, frankly, an insult to what this game is about.

Shame AKE is shutting down, had a lot of good times (and some pretty horrid ones).

Best of luck to my sysadmin kin.

**fixed some spelling.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Now that sounds like something a diplo player would say. Harharhar :mrgreen:
Kangaraptor
level2
level2

Postby Kangaraptor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:29 am

DTNC Vicious wrote:Now that sounds like something a diplo player would say. Harharhar :mrgreen:

You say that, but I used to play a lot of duels and 2v2s. Stopped when people started trying to make it 'competitive'.

:^)
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:19 am

I mean it's suppose to be competitive though ...who just plays for "fun"!? That's lame AF ;) If people just played this game for "fun" the current player base would be even smaller now.

Return to “General”