All Star Games on DedCon Test: every Sunday, 17:45 and 19:15

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

All Star Games on DedCon Test: every Sunday, 17:45 and 19:15

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:12 pm

MVPE raised the idea in the other thread to hold "All Star" six player games on a regular basis. It's not a fundamentally bad idea :) My minimal fuzz implementation idea would be the following:
* we pick two times, one for TotallyRandom games, one for Default games. Sunday evening (for the Europeans) would be a good time, that is early Sunday afternoon for the Americans. The two games can run in parallel, players would then have to decide where they what to play this week.
* the "All Star" aspect could be simply done like this: at those predefined times,
a) the server name is changed.
b) the game will refuse to start during a forced 15 minute lobby phase (MinTeams 7 :) )
c) an admin will be present and give higher ranked players priority to play, i.e. he will remove lower ranked players from the game to make room for the higher ranks.
d) the Default server will switch to random territories.

And that's it. The game would of course count as normal for the ranking table, and since it will have an unusual density of top players, the winner will get an extra high boost for his/her score. Those of you who don't have much time to play, but want to get a high place on the ranking table, could try to use these games as a shortcut to the top (if you dare, of course). It is very unlikely that the topmost players will appear in every game, so everyone who wants probably can get a chance.

The times of the games would be announced on the servers so that even those who don't frequent the forums will know about them.

So, who from the forums would be interested to see this happen? We should settle this question before we start talking about a regular time.
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:15 pm

OMG Great Idea! Too bad I won't win... I'm 503rd.

FIRST POST IN A 30 PAGER! WOW! That was an edit, by the way. Not precognition. Sorry.
Last edited by microchip08 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:55 pm

Nice idea with good options 8), but higher ranked players in All combined, Totally Random or Default mode ?
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:30 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:10 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:At this rate I fear the allstar game is never gonna happen :?
What do you mean? You made the suggestion yesterday, you expect people to be ready today, and probably even the top six ranked? Go back to the Unofficial Tournament Organization threads and see how much pain it was every time to get people who had already signed up to play to meet at a specific time.

For the off topic comparison, the ladder guarantees that among the people who signed up, you always play an interesting opponent.

MOR: good question. For the time being, I'd suggest the combined ratings, as the Default table is quite fresh and still unstable.

I may even find a way to automate this. It would be good to use the score display in the server browser to display the scores from the ranking table, for example, so you know before you join a server what you can expect from the players; once the score is known to the server itself, giving the higher ranked players priority should be trivial.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Thank you for your answer Bert, but if a player belongs the first 6 steps not present or at work… which can replaced it? 7th in the list? :D
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:36 pm

Of course. The idea is to always let the best (according to the ranking table) players available at that time play.
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:36 pm

[({Re-energisation almost complete})]
Last edited by Cobra Commander on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:48 pm

I'd say it's a great idea. The only problem I have with it is I'll be too busy over the next several weeks too get my rank up and participate. :roll: Although, in a couple of months when things get back to 'normal' look out... :wink:

Heh, I just looked to see how I did in that one Totally Random game I started to play yesterday. To be honest, I thought I might have lost my touch in 6 player games since I've been stuck on 1v1's for so long.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Another concern :?, as you see on the table it exists players with 10 games played and it is 6th or 7th and others with more than 30 games played and behind..
Then, what the solution in this case? And dont forget can be you will have chance to gain 10 games and to have a good place but with 30 games ?
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Cobra Commander wrote:I'd be up for this.

I havent played the likes of Nightwatch or MVPE at all as far as I know as we keep on missing each other :) so some form of regular arranged meetup for the top 6, 10 or 20 players so everyone knows when people may be about would be a nice idea.

Strange - it seems that every time I fire up defcon for a quiet game and what do you know? There is MVPE, insulting my mother and flattening my cities. Nightwatch I don't mind so much, although I've haven't beat him yet.
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:45 pm

yeh i'd be up for this. sunday evening is fine, well next sunday is.
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:32 pm

[({Re-energisation almost complete})]
Last edited by Cobra Commander on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:41 pm

(MOR) wrote:Another concern :?
I don't see a problem with that; the table is not a "plays most often" table, but a "plays well consistently" table. Those at the top have proven they can (no matter whether it took 10 or 30 games), and they deserve to play.

Ace: There is still the chance that some of the people higher on the list won't turn up. You know how it is :)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:44 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
(MOR) wrote:Another concern :?
I don't see a problem with that; the table is not a "plays most often" table, but a "plays well consistently" table. Those at the top have proven they can (no matter whether it took 10 or 30 games), and they deserve to play.

I can agree with that. I can't remember how many games I've actually played on the Totally Random server without changing it to diplomacy (perhaps only one), yet I'm still in the top 20 in the All Combined because of consistent 1v1 games. I

Ace: There is still the chance that some of the people higher on the list won't turn up. You know how it is :)[/quote]
Well, I'd have to (be able to) turn up too. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “General”