Does this game upset anyone?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Elreddo
level0

Does this game upset anyone?

Postby Elreddo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:44 am

I know that this will probably sound very lame and i know the piss will be extracted from me for this but here

I was playing this game for around two hours, before something very strange happened.
Probably just a sudden prang of consience but all of a sudden i felt upset about what i was doing and went involuntarily into defense mode, and recalled all of my bombers and disarmed all nukes travelling to civilian targets.

It happened more or less around the time I was looking out of my London apartment window and saw a resturant across the road hosting a party, all of the guests were obviously having a great time when i turned back to my screen to see 'LONDON HIT 15.4million dead', And i just thought what if.....

Any thoughts at all feel free lol.
A bit wierd i know. :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:11 am

You are not the only one to have qualms about DEFCON. In fact, I think that a certain amount of discomfort is one of the things that IV were attempting to achieve with DEFCON. In Uplink, one is often asked to do unethical things, and deal with the repercussions. Also, the beeping of the trace_tracker can cause an adrenaline reaction better than most games. Darwinia caused many players to form attachments with the DGs. IV is good at making games that evoke certain emotional reactions.

xander
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:33 am

This is why I consider attacking military targets a higher priority when I play, even in default mode. Even if I come in last place because of getting little kills, but I still keep my cities safe, I still say I did a good job.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Am i the only one that is desensitized to this kind of thing? O_o hmm a guess a diet of violent media when growing up does this to some people :roll:
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:33 pm

I had this only in the first couple of games against the CPU. In multiplayer games, my videogame instincts tell me to treat cities are places to grab points from only.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:I had this only in the first couple of games against the CPU. In multiplayer games, my videogame instincts tell me to treat cities are places to grab points from only.

That's the spirit :D
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Honestly, the real attachment between me and the cities is that I consider my territory an extension of myself. That is, when my cities are being attacked, I am under attack. When the nukes take out my radars, I am blinded. When the enemy's nukes finally break through to my silos, those are my defences being ruined. When my nukes are mostly shot down from the air, that's me failing to hit the other guy. I don't care about the other guy's wellbeing, ruining it is the point of the game.

When I run out of nukes, and all that's left is to wait, everything just becomes numbers and I'm left hoping that mine end up better looking.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:45 pm

Although I was never upset by it, it did make me wonder and I learned a lot about nuclear war on the times following the game's launch. Ultimately I played it so much that that feeling simply vanished, which in fact contributed for me to stop playing it.
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:56 pm

The ability for mass murder without consequence is what made me buy the game, does that make me a bad person? :twisted:
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Deamon wrote:The ability for mass murder without consequence is what made me buy the game, does that make me a bad person? :twisted:

Probably
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Almost all games is about killing: FPS, RTS etc. Who arque than is more ethic to kill 100 persons since 100.000.000 is a cinic killer or a hypocrite. Defcon is only a game like other games. Who see more about that maybe he look to much on the news, where governments tranform genocide and crime in righteous action in name of good and democracy. All killings is bad and grotesque no matter if games producers or governments gives you a justification. You problem Elreddo is not killing of people, is missing of justification for that. IV gives you a very good strategy game, nothing more. Don't forget the game motto: "It's Global Thermonuclear War, and nobody wins. But maybe - just maybe - you can lose the least." :wink:
Last edited by Mojo on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
crystal_Palace
level2
level2

Postby crystal_Palace » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:49 am

you have GOT to be fucking kidding
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:33 am

I am totally desensitized :P

I only feel sorry for someone who's not real when it's in the context of a deeply emotional story (drama!!) or well developed romance. Otherwise, I enjoy gratuitous gore a lot actually (probrably because I grew up on gory anime) so I remove myself from the death of those who are not real, especially if they're given little development.

Basically, I will feel worse for the leader I have betrayed than the millions I have killed, because the person betrayed is a real person while the 23 million dead in Moscow is merely a statistic of an imaginary population.

Of course with a little imagination anyone can find great sorrow in this game, but it's still meant to be fun.
JESUS
level2
level2

Postby JESUS » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:56 am

This is the reason why I always try and nuke the shit out of the UK . . . because we've got a growing population problem. :shock:

So when I look out of my window , I don't think WHAT if , I think if ONLY . . .
crystal_Palace
level2
level2

Postby crystal_Palace » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:24 pm

seriously, you have got to be kidding me!
the only thing MORE retarded than this discussion, (which involves the real life "feelings" in playing a GAME?!?!) would be a discussion on global warming and AL Gores FANTASY that his movie is REAL! and actually depicts life on our planet, a planet that will ALWAYS take care of itself no matter WHAT we do to it or for it.
PLAY A GAME. Lifes too short to worry about a games impact on your emotional state. You would really have to have some SERIOUS emotional troubles and life threatining issues to get that seriously wierded out by a game.
Remember the first time you played SILENT HILL in the dark??
I do and this is NOTHING! (if you never played silent hill then perhaps you'll not understand creepy! so go ahead and play it)

Oh BTW Get "shivers" and play that in the dark. it could get to you to.

then when your all done getting the creepy out of your system, WAKE THE FUCK UP!
its a game.!
A game that is no more violent then half the games out, that "require" you to kill some one or everyone!
an I have played them all!
gee wizz, emotion's and video games??
Some one call OPRAH!! this sissy need a hUG!

Return to “General”