No spectators + kick votes = trouble?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

VSj
level2
level2

No spectators + kick votes = trouble?

Postby VSj » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:07 pm

On a server with no spectators allowed, when one of the connected clients gets kicked for some reason, it is transformed into a spectator. Even though the server doesn't allow spectators. This seems to result in the server not letting any more clients in, telling them that the game is "already full", even though there's one player slot open. People waiting in there do not get notified that no one else can join and they are waiting for nothing.

Possible solutions: disable kick votes on zero spectator servers or perhaps better yet... enable spectators?
aug
level1
level1

Re: No spectators + kick votes = trouble?

Postby aug » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:43 pm

+1 for enabling spectators. Atleast, for example, G6 1v1 Asia vs. Russia has no spectators, why is that? Spectating is one of the best parts of the game imho.
General Ivan
level2
level2

Postby General Ivan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:23 pm

aug wrote:+1 for enabling spectators. Atleast, for example, G6 1v1 Asia vs. Russia has no spectators, why is that? Spectating is one of the best parts of the game imho.

Something to do with lagging the servers apparently.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:05 pm

General Ivan wrote:Something to do with lagging the servers apparently.

A simple 1v1 game with a few spectators causing lagging? I think not. Dedcon is pretty bandwidth friendly, and furthermore very CPU friendly.
I might be wrong though, please correct me if I'm at fault here. But to me, this just doesn't seem plausible. With a 3v3 or 2v2 with lots of units this might be true.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:03 pm

aug wrote:
General Ivan wrote:Something to do with lagging the servers apparently.

A simple 1v1 game with a few spectators causing lagging? I think not. Dedcon is pretty bandwidth friendly, and furthermore very CPU friendly.
I might be wrong though, please correct me if I'm at fault here. But to me, this just doesn't seem plausible. With a 3v3 or 2v2 with lots of units this might be true.

It's because Sicilian doesn't trust people not to cheat in 1v1.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Endless wrote:It's because Sicilian doesn't trust people not to cheat in 1v1.

Well, that's a totally different matter then. I didn't know cheating was such a problem. It would be pretty difficult to cheat without getting caught, but if this really is the case, then okay. I'm fine with it.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:04 am

Currently there are two games in progress that I'd like to see, both of them are "full", so, maybe no Defcon for me tonight, I'll just have to watch/do something else. Is this really what you want?
VSj
level2
level2

Postby VSj » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:05 am

aug wrote:It would be pretty difficult to cheat without getting caught, but if this really is the case, then okay. I'm fine with it.

I think it is actually disappointingly easy. Of course it depends on how one uses the gained knowledge. There's also these who must have practically wanted to get caught, naming the spectator after the host bot (duplicate). :P But for example just simply knowing the opponent's current arrangement can be a great advantage and could be exploited without giving out any direct clues about it. What I personally fail to understand is what kind of sick pleasure can one actually get from a game won by cheating. :/ All I can do is hope that others feel the same way as spectating is indeed a great part of Defcon.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 am

VSj wrote:I think it is actually disappointingly easy. Of course it depends on how one uses the gained knowledge. There's also these who must have practically wanted to get caught, naming the spectator after the host bot (duplicate). :P But for example just simply knowing the opponent's current arrangement can be a great advantage and could be exploited without giving out any direct clues about it. What I personally fail to understand is what kind of sick pleasure can one actually get from a game won by cheating. :/ All I can do is hope that others feel the same way as spectating is indeed a great part of Defcon.

If someone wishes to cheat, I think he/she will find a way to do that, even without the spectator mode. Cheaters exists, but they will never be "one of the greats", as they will not stand the test of time. They will eventually be exposed for what they are, cheaters. This kind of fear just kills the game for those who really like watching others play and those who wish to play no matter what is the outcome. And if you lose a game to a cheater, is it really a loss?
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:26 am

Why any of this matters? The problem was fixed. Its only on 3 out of 18 servers, you want to watch the game? That's what we have GROUP6.INFO for. Lastly, if I remember right we are the ones paying for them.

Now lets drop this subject for good.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:Now lets drop this subject for good

No.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:31 am

kudayta wrote:No.

Sassy(:
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:36 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:Why any of this matters? The problem was fixed. Its only on 3 out of 18 servers, you want to watch the game? That's what we have GROUP6.INFO for. Lastly, if I remember right we are the ones paying for them.

Now lets drop this subject for good.

Yes, sir! Overlord, sir! What the fuck? This doesn't answer anything. It only makes me think that there's something more than an actual reasonable answer to all of this.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:41 am

aug wrote:Something more than an actual reasonable answer.

Yes there is totally a super evil, hair brained scheme behind 3 servers that are blocked. Wonder what kind of conspiracy would be behind that :roll: :roll:

Edit: [Found better pic]
Last edited by Siсiliаn Ноundd on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aug
level1
level1

Postby aug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:48 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:
aug wrote:Something more than an actual reasonable answer.

Yes there is totally a super evil, hair brained scheme behind 3 servers that are blocked. Wonder what kind of conspiracy would be behind that :roll: :roll:

Well, if you want to play it like that, fine. Just for arguments sake, I think it's pretty ridicilous, but hey, what would I know, I'm just a newbie who nobody knows and no one cares about. You keep on running things as you do.
Since you pay for them. I'm just really really amazed of these solutions... they don't make sense to me. I'm sorry, but they don't, they really don't. I won't pursue this issue anymore, I've made my point clear and so have you.
Peace out.

Return to “General”