Moderator: Defcon moderators

backstabber
level1
level1

Postby backstabber » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Yeah, k

2 options.
- I make group. (bad idea)
- Some hardcore defcon player OR Defcon developer creates the group. better. < this way the group will keep alive and dont disapear suddenly.

The cool thing about the group thing is that its very handy to create events. (matches)
And you dont have to buy steam stuff for it. Its free with a steam account.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:04 pm

backstabber wrote:Yeah, k

2 options.
- I make group. (bad idea)
- Some hardcore defcon player OR Defcon developer creates the group. better. < this way the group will keep alive and dont disapear suddenly.

The cool thing about the group thing is that its very handy to create events. (matches)
And you dont have to buy steam stuff for it. Its free with a steam account.

If you do not think that there is enough interest in such a group to keep it going, then perhaps such a group does not need to exist. This might be called "option 3."

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:17 pm

I am big fan of " option 3 " .
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:21 pm

shinygerbil wrote:I am big fan of " option 3 " .

Me, too.

xander
backstabber
level1
level1

Postby backstabber » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 pm

"Lets nuke someones Idea because we dont need it"

how sad :(
im a bit disapointed by the reactions..
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:28 pm

I'd bet most hardcore Defcon players didn't go through steam.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
backstabber
level1
level1

Postby backstabber » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm

I know. what I surgest is not for them. but for interested steam users..
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:51 pm

backstabber wrote:"Lets nuke someones Idea because we dont need it"

how sad :(
im a bit disapointed by the reactions..

I don't understand why you are disappointed by the reaction. You seem to think that someone here with clout (i.e. the developers) should take time out of their busy schedules to administer a fan group based around the Steam version of Defcon. Your stated reason for this is that the community might fizzle if someone from IV isn't in charge. Why should that make any difference? If there is interest in the group, it shouldn't matter who runs it. If there is no interest, even someone from IV isn't going to be able to keep it doing. So, as I said before: make your own group. If you think that a dedicated person can keep it going, then you can be that dedicated person. If you don't think that you can keep the group going, then you obviously don't care about such a group all that much. If you don't care enough to get it going, why do you think that anyone else does?

xander
backstabber
level1
level1

Postby backstabber » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 pm

Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:08 pm

Feud wrote:
backstabber wrote:I assume you are speaking about a while ago when Steam still sucked. Times had changed. windows 98 sucked to.
Give steam an other change. Its pretty good these days.

The program was only a small part of it, the larger part was the terrible customer service that Valve provided. I don't care how good a product is, if a company treats me bad then I want nothing to do with them.

You do realize that Steam saved Introversion? So without it there might not even be a Defcon. Anyway, you don't have to own Defcon through Steam. If you bought it through the Introversion website you can "add a non-steam game" to your games list on Steam. The group lets you schedule events, see who's playing, etc. So you don't have to come to the forums and say "who's up for a game?", then wait for hours till someone actually reads your post. The steam community also comes with a LIVE chat. Which you can also open in-game via hotkey.
backstabber
level1
level1

Postby backstabber » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:09 pm

and working voicechat ;) :D
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:11 pm

backstabber wrote:and working voicechat ;) :D

Yup. So it's an extended version of Xfire, Ventrilo, and an app organizer in one. Not to mention it's free.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Sr_Dela wrote:You do realize that Steam saved Introversion? So without it there might not even be a Defcon.

That is probably true, but it in no way is an argument in favor of, or against either a Steam user group for Defcon; nor is it a response to Feud's argument. If Feud was really concerned about IV, then he could easily argue that, by buying directly from IV, he is supporting IV more than by buying through Steam, as IV gets to keep more of the money that way. Feud's point was that he used Steam, and didn't like it, so is not going to use it any more. You are being silly by trying to convince him otherwise.

Sr_Dela wrote:The group lets you schedule events, see who's playing, etc. So you don't have to come to the forums and say "who's up for a game?", then wait for hours till someone actually reads your post. The steam community also comes with a LIVE chat. Which you can also open in-game via hotkey.

And I wish the group luck. I never said that it shouldn't exist, only that there is no reason why IV should be responsible for its existence. Now that backstabber has created the group, it is there for anyone that cares. The rest of us are free to ignore it, if we wish.

xander
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 pm

xander wrote:And I wish the group luck. I never said that it shouldn't exist, only that there is no reason why IV should be responsible for its existence. Now that backstabber has created the group, it is there for anyone that cares. The rest of us are free to ignore it, if we wish.

xander

Nothing wrong with ignoring it. But if persons are not interested then they should leave this thread alone, rather than infesting it with negative energy towards the idea. I understand why back would want to have someone higher in the IV forums host it though. That way if there ARE events or news to post, they could post it on the group's calendar. Now that Backstabber's in charge of it, we'll only be notified if he, by chance, decides to check the IV website/blog/forums. Although, he COULD give other said persons administrative access, so if someone decides to go along with it, you should probably contact him.
backstabber
level1
level1

Postby backstabber » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:08 pm

btw. I did not make the group.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gaz madi it. I guess.

Return to “General”