The Endless Yearly Challenge for Charity!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Endless
level5
level5

The Endless Yearly Challenge for Charity!

Postby Endless » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Seeing Dynamics ladder tourney gave me a new concept or idea for a tournament or challenge.

It is a 2 team challenge. I can/will be a captain and obviously will be another. The captains will pick between everyone that signs up on alternating turns, creating their team. The losers of the challenge will cough up $25 USD as a whole (not individually) to the charity of the captains choice.

How the scoring will work: Simple. Post recordings of your wins over someone on the other team.
So for 1v1 you would obviously have to be against someone on the other team. If you win, your team gets a point.
For 2v2 & 3v3, you would be on one team, and the person from the other team would obviously be against you. The whole game does not have to consist of the team members. Just as long as there is one team member on each side. It's not about individual scoring, its about the team score.

It's a simple concept. No commitment to it, and its for a good cause and something fun. I will make one little byrule: The game will not count if all players have not shown their alias before the game starts, no exceptions.

Lets go ahead and start the signups now! And also I'll take whoever nominates to be a captain if they are on my ranking. If multiple people nominate themselves, I will go by higher ranking to determine the captain spot.

Signups so far:
Endless
Laika
Max
United Air
Senator
Vicious
Coke
Last edited by Endless on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laika
Site Admin

Re: The Endless Yearly Challenge for Charity!

Postby Laika » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:18 pm

I'm in.
UNITEDAIR
level2
level2

Postby UNITEDAIR » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 am

Please research charities before donating. Many are for profit businesses masquerading as nonprofit charities!
(Think Susan G. Komen)!
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:40 am

UNITEDAIR wrote:Please research charities before donating. Many are for profit businesses masquerading as nonprofit charities!
(Think Susan G. Komen)!

Mine is either going to be St. Jude's children hospital or wounded warriors.
MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 am

Count me in. Child's Play would be my choice (the charity Ace Rimmer had to support when I humiliated Laika).
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 am

I'd like to get at least 20 signed up before we can do the draft.
UNITEDAIR
level2
level2

Postby UNITEDAIR » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:28 am

St. Jude works where I live, Memphis.
So I am in.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:50 pm

I am in.

I wanna suggest to pay money into a pool up front. I dont care how much or if it is even. I just wanna avoid the situation where the tourney might fail and all was just chitchat. If a normal tourney fails it's a hit to the motivation of players, which is bad already, but if a charity promise fails it feels like a dishonour. If we pay up front we could have a tourney abortion rule and avoid it (e.g. give all money to charity we can agree in before).

About charities: Any thoughts about oxfam?
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 pm

trickser wrote:I am in.

I wanna suggest to pay money into a pool up front. I dont care how much or if it is even. I just wanna avoid the situation where the tourney might fail and all was just chitchat. If a normal tourney fails it's a hit to the motivation of players, which is bad already, but if a charity promise fails it feels like a dishonour. If we pay up front we could have a tourney abortion rule and avoid it (e.g. give all money to charity we can agree in before).

About charities: Any thoughts about oxfam?

I like the idea. I would definitely do that. The only problem that I can see with it is, that people dont want to pay up, so they wont join. I'm going to make sure the $25 gets paid for my team regardless whether I am a captain or not.

Oxfam is a good one. I reckon we can evenly distribute the money evenly to all the charities, unless we decide on just one.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:24 am

Are we going to have two different 2v2 tours going on? Should just combine the two then if so. Still with the $ for charity and all that, I think thats great. Wounded warrior would be my choice also.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:08 pm

Same question.
Is this in contention to Dynamics thread or just a different approch to a collabarate community attempt? I assumed later one and posted here, but if it is former one, I am with the original author and not with the imitation.

Thinking: if imitation then maybe it is a mirrow to the ranking lists double issue and I also have an opinion on this one.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:05 pm

trickser wrote:Same question.
Is this in contention to Dynamics thread or just a different approch to a collabarate community attempt? I assumed later one and posted here, but if it is former one, I am with the original author and not with the imitation.

Thinking: if imitation then maybe it is a mirrow to the ranking lists double issue and I also have an opinion on this one.

No sir it is not in contention at all. No reason we can't have more than one tournament going right? It's not a competition with his tournament, just a fun idea. As far as lists are concerned, i cannot speak for Vic as to why he made his.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:39 pm

ttt
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:11 pm

In :)
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:23 pm

7 people so far. Just 13 more and we can get it going!

Return to “General”