Now available: Player Ratings

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:47 pm

damn i knew i forgot something in that last post it was the :wink:
in retrospect it wasn't actually really funny but we all have our weak moments :wink:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 pm

Sometimes, a ;) is needed. ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Player7
level1
level1

Postby Player7 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:55 pm

This ratings system has got got me back into defcon again after a long hiatus. The site is a little crude but hey it's defiantly a step in the right direction... good job! :)

I'm even up there on the list now!

Player7 aka Pte. Parts
rotw
level1
level1

Postby rotw » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Hey,

I was bored (like so many in this forum), so I decided to make you a website design.

It's just an idea, but I could code it in HTML for you. XHTML and CSS of course ;)

Anyway, hope you like it!

rotw
Last edited by rotw on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:40 pm

rotw wrote:Hey,

I was bored (like so many in this forum), so I decided to make you a website design.

http://rotw.byto.de/dedcon2.jpg

It's just an idea, but I could code it in HTML for you. XHTML and CSS of course ;)

Anyway, hope you like it!

rotw

I protest! I'm rather sure that Incontenta Buttocks is number one, not Biggus Dickus!

NeoThermic
rotw
level1
level1

Postby rotw » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:42 pm

She is busy with an affair with Wudolf the Wed-nosed Weindeer :D
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:46 pm

I wonder who this "Ace Runner" is. Hmm, Bizzaro Ace Rimmer? :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rotw
level1
level1

Postby rotw » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Hehehe...

Oh dammit. My stupid short-term memory again :P
Player7
level1
level1

Postby Player7 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:28 pm

:idea: how about displaying Wins/Loses ??

I really don't understand this upper/ middle / lower business. Whats that all about?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Player7 wrote::idea: how about displaying Wins/Loses ??

I really don't understand this upper/ middle / lower business. Whats that all about?

Define "win." What is a win if you are playing a six player game? Should winning a six player game be given greater or lesser credit than a two player game? bert has tried to address those questions, and has done some math to come up with a rating system. The lower / middle / upper numbers are a part of that rating system. If that is too complicated for you, do as he advises, and assume that your rating is your "lower" number. And that is just what it is -- a number that ranks you among other players. It is no different than the chess rating system, for instance.

xander
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:01 pm

I finally (after some help from bert) worked out how to do /setscore and /signscore. As long as I can remember to do it every time, I'll be fine and falling down the ranking nice and quick!

Although you did freak me out a bit when you started talking to me directly through your bot.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:14 pm

Just a side note for anybody else with a two part name (I.e, Ace Rimmer, not AceRimmer).

When using /setscore, only put in the first part, before the space, of the name. I could never get it to work with /setscore Ace Rimmer 800, but /setscore Ace 800 works just fine. Thanks to zjoere for suggesting that.. (again) :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:12 pm

That could be added to the tables, but since you yourself pick your opponents and choose how often you play, both numbers are meaningless. The scores the table is based on depend not only on how often you play and win, but also who you win and lose against. As xander says, it's somewhat similar to the ELO rating. Well, it's rather more similar to the Glicko rating in the basic idea that your score has to be seen as the most likely theory that explains why the games you played turned out the way they did.

About the design: all my webpages are design free and I like them that way :) Of course, I'll make the script and my databases available to anyone who wants to build a better UI around them.
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player7
level1
level1

Postby Player7 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 pm

xander wrote:

Define "win." What is a win if you are playing a six player game? Should winning a six player game be given greater or lesser credit than a two player game? bert has tried to address those questions, and has done some math to come up with a rating system. The lower / middle / upper numbers are a part of that rating system. If that is too complicated for you, do as he advises, and assume that your rating is your "lower" number. And that is just what it is -- a number that ranks you among other players. It is no different than the chess rating system, for instance.

xander

It's not that it's too complicated (or maybe it is for a simpleton like myself :?) I have just never heard of an explanation as to what the numbers are representing.

In a 6 player game I see the winner as whom ever has scored the most points and the clear loser as the player who scored the least, the rest is sort of a gray area. Perhaps this doesn't quite work well for win / loses ratio. In given this some thought... Perhaps the number of times a player has finished in each position could be shown

ie.

1 |2 |3 |4 |5 |6 |
-------------------
50,12, 5, 2, 8, 34

Where as 1st represents 1st (duh :lol: ) but 6th is a representation of last place in any game. So you could essentially tell that this player has won 50 games and lost 34 regardless of how many people where playing. 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th are not represented as losses but still are shown. Also there could be a stat of how many games of each type (1 through 6 players) have been played.

EDIT:: I agree this should'nt be used to rate players overall, but it would be a nice addition of information. ::

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Another question I had was if points come into effect at all.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:38 am

See last post: only counting how often you ended up in a certain position is worthless; winning against Ace Rimmer (hah! as if) is a far better indication of superior skill than winning against [DEMO]NewPlayer.

Two new rules, well, actually just one new rule, the first "new" rule should be obvious:

New Rule A: Entering false scores on purpose is a reason for immediate removal from the database and an instant ban. If you notice you accidentally entered wrong scores, notify me, I'll correct the mistake. If you notice someone else enters wrong scores, either while you are there (you can try to correct him, if it was an accident, he'll accept), notify me, too.

New Rule B: once you are in the database, games you participate in without someone entering the scores will count for the upper and lower scores as if you had lost some other game you had won. This is worse for your position in the tables than losing the current game, in case you're wondering. The counting of score-less games will start today and take effect on the ranking table positions when the system is implemented.

Calculating the ranking scores takes longer and longer; I therefore switched the table update to happen only once per day, during the period where my ADSL connection resets and no servers are active. That's around 4 AM GMT.

For the designated server admins who have the power to change the game settings: if you use the provided /include files to switch the mode, the scores that are entered will now influence different ranking tables than TotallyRandom.

Return to “General”