Switch DedCon Test TotallyRandom to other mode?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What shall be the default mode?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Leave it at default game mode, totally random cities.
29%
Default game mode, default cities.
38%
Diplomacy
21%
Orgazmo
8%
Other (specify in a post or die!)
4%

Total votes: 24
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Switch DedCon Test TotallyRandom to other mode?

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Simple question in the thread title. There are now quite a lot of other default game mode DedCons out there, at least one other with TotallyRandom city distribution, which wasn't the case when I switched it to that mode. It may be more useful for players to offer an alternative game mode, such as Diplomacy, Speed Defcon, or 1 vs 1 vs 1 with two territories each. I'll probably make a poll, but first, I want to fish for ideas :)

Alternatively or additionally, I can give a bunch of you guys admin/moderator rights with the power to at least select between different preconfigured game modes. There's nothing you can seriously break, so don't worry. Applications welcome, just PM me your KeyID (if you didn't buy the game over steam), your in-game name, and a password. Right now, I can't think of anyone I wouldn't accept.
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:26 pm

Orgazmo?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Why not make the bot accept requests from players to change the config to a different gametype?

NeoThermic
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:36 pm

Dedicated Diplomacy would be nice. There's never enough Diplomacy games up.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:40 pm

Yeah, Diplomacy would be good, I don't think I've seen many diplomacy dedicated servers (if any at all)
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:51 pm

There used to be one or two but they're both gone.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:11 pm

I would like the idea of being able to change it to diplomacy (my current preferred 6 player mode) rather than just leaving it at Diplomacy.

Having (trusted/non abusive) persons with such ability would greatly enhance that particular server and its attractiveness. If it wasn't for the bad lag for the AKE diplo server, I'd miss it. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:26 pm

diplo is good but i like orgazmo more

and why not use all of the unit types in a sort of modified radar defense with 6 players?
world idiot
level4
level4

Re: Switch DedCon Test TotallyRandom to other mode?

Postby world idiot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote: There's nothing you can seriously break, so don't worry. Applications welcome, just PM me your KeyID (if you didn't buy the game over steam), your in-game name, and a password. Right now, I can't think of anyone I wouldn't accept.

even me?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:36 pm

world idiot wrote:and why not use all of the unit types in a sort of modified radar defense with 6 players?

Would there be a point? Even in normal RD mode, not too many radars survive, and now imagine the added attack force of those units plus six player mayhem. Plus, the players can agree before the game that they only want to count surviving radars in the end.

And yes, even you. If you're afraid to bork things up, I set it up so I could give you only the privileges of a Rank 3 Moderator :) That's just enough to execute the "/include" chat command that activates predefined settings, you would not even be able to kick spectators. If the predefined settings are borked, that's my fault.

NeoThermic: how should that work? I played through three scenarios:
1. The first to enter the server gets the rights to determine the game mode. Risk: since the server starts up on every full hour, it would be easy for anyone to predictably grab the rights and lock the server to the least favorite mode of everyone else.
2. Players vote on the mode. This would predictably have the opposite effect that only the most popular modes get played, and there is little benefit.
3. When the server is full, someone is given admin powers by a lottery. Then the game mode is set after everyone has waited for some minutes, and half the players will leave again because they don't like the game mode.
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:32 am

Diplomacy.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 am

I implemented the relatively easy and secure mode switching via /include for the admins. Read here about the configurations that are available. Yes, Orgazmo and Diplomacy are available.

Edit: Poll is up. Nothing fancy or unexpected.
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:22 pm

I can't vote in the poll.

I think you should change it to default cities, 200 pop, and random territories off. It seems that Torig's dedcon has trouble staying on the master server list. Many times we will get 5 players in the game, then it disappears from the list, so we never get the last player. It shows up on my 'recent servers' list as not responding, but if I join it I can get in just fine, seems to be up 24/7. NL Noob server doesn't accept any demos, and Paranoia UK isn't up all day. So this leaves me with either Helios or your server, bert, and both of them are TotallyRandom.

But keep the 200 pop, bigger scores are fun. Also, consider keeping random territories off. This rewards players who sit in the server for many minutes waiting for others to join (gives them first pick on the territories).
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:27 pm

You can change all that on this particular server already. I've changed it to diplomacy at least once with regular city distribution.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm

Really? how?

Return to “General”