Could you beat the Star of India if you're the USSR?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Do you have what it takes?

You bet!
46%
I'm not sure, maybe after several attmepts.
17%
I don't think so.
4%
Only against a poor player and with massive amounts of luck.
21%
No.
No votes
Dinosaurs.
4%
Nuke wales/whales, take your pick or nuke both!
8%

Total votes: 24
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:03 am

I watched the recording... I'm still convinced that The Star can be beaten. Hyperion made few mistakes.
-While launching on Bombay he had to send just 2-3 nukes more. That could have given him about 2M more.
-Extra large amounts of bombers wasted with no use in that bomber run on Indian fleet. Theese bombers were to be used to bomb unprotected China... that could have given much if all the nukes from carriers are used.
-4 subs were wasted at the end. That's 20 nukes. Were to be unloaded on China.
-All other subs launched too early and thus were nuked. I don't think there was any point in hurrying that much... firstly radar, than launching from long distances, you know...

So, calculations show, that not less than 15M more could have been scored. I believe that Hyperion made this mistakes because of lack of practice :wink: but next time it will be much closer.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 am

I had gone into this game assuming that Ace's set up would be the same :roll: ...i didn't realise of the radar in Japan until quite late in the game and after my bombers had been flying there and my subs had already fired nukes and in turn, been nuked :( .

I think my Indian bomber rush was sound because were it not for that lone bomber id have had more nukes in the air and a wave of bombers to keep attacking his fleeing fleet...i was prepared to sacrifice those bombers in turn for my carriers later clearing the way and fighter rushing the Indian.

I believe the mistakes i made were clear:

- Not practicing the set up prior to the actual game (unfortunatly i had no literal time to do this).
- Not opening all my silos when he did.
- Getting most of my nuker times/distances off...that hurt me most :roll:

I was deservadly punished for it :wink:

(Don't forget our game tomorrow mike :P )
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Hyperion wrote:I had gone into this game assuming that Ace's set up would be the same :roll: ...i didn't realise of the radar in Japan until quite late in the game and after my bombers had been flying there and my subs had already fired nukes and in turn, been nuked :( .

I think my Indian bomber rush was sound because were it not for that lone bomber id have had more nukes in the air and a wave of bombers to keep attacking his fleeing fleet...i was prepared to sacrifice those bombers in turn for my carriers later clearing the way and fighter rushing the Indian.

I believe the mistakes i made were clear:

- Not practicing the set up prior to the actual game (unfortunatly i had no literal time to do this).
- Not opening all my silos when he did.
- Getting most of my nuker times/distances off...that hurt me most :roll:

I was deservedly punished for it :wink:

(Don't forget our game tomorrow mike :P )

So, you're saying a single radar and a single bomber was your downfall? :wink: heh, Well, ok two bombers. One over Europe/North Africa that found your western attack and the other (lead) bomber in the Indian meant for your incoming battleships. Both of which allowed me to wipe out both waves with a few fighters.

I'd say rus|Mike is correct. Subs launching early and in radar = bad. Although I only nuked them because my bombers were close, already armed, and what else was I gonna do? :shock:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Lol, nah i know how it sounds and im not using it as an excuse, i simply went into the game thinking i had a major advantage when infact i didn't treat it as a normal game and already assumed i knew what you'd be doing :)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm pretty sure you were the one that tells people to be unpredictable... :wink:

I did stick to my usual plan with a slight deviation to try and discover your plan. Seeing as how you already knew where'd I'd be, I figured a 1-2% change on my part would be warranted. :wink:

:P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Can't argue with that :P ill be better prepared next time :wink: (Already has a new plan to beat you)

Return to “General”