SPAM guy!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Leben
level0

SPAM guy!

Postby Leben » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:20 am

I have seen this twice today!
someone comes onto a defcon server, with a new name (spectator or not). Then he some how (looks computer controlled), on chat. says repeatedly a single letter like:
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m

etc it goes on (through the ascii table or something).
this easts up ur memory and slows ur computer down (or it dose 2 mine!)

Either that person come forward, or something mut be done - is it possible to log the IP address of someone who has connected to your server?
MegaDeathKill!
level2
level2

Postby MegaDeathKill! » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:00 am

I agree 100%. There must be a way to ban such idiots!
Skripted
level1
level1

Postby Skripted » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:03 am

Yes I purchased the game today - unfortunately out of my first 4 online games ever...... 2 of them were ruined by spammers :roll: It really didn't help my first impressions of the game.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 am

If only there was some way...

Oh, yeah, I forgot. There is a way, and it's been out for several months now! Silly me.

Edit: Sarcasm not pointed at Skripted since he is new, but still guys, there is already two other topics virtually identical to this one that have been discussed quite a bit today. Did you really need to make another?
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 am

Feud wrote:If only there was some way...

Oh, yeah, I forgot. There is a way, and it's been out for several months now! Silly me.

Edit: Sarcasm not pointed at Skripted since he is new, but still guys, there is already two other topics virtually identical to this one that have been discussed quite a bit today. Did you really need to make another?

It's an indication of how pissed the consumer is initially at how there isn't any protection natively in the Defcon program against online scumbags.
I've met a ton of people ingame that don't have a clue about the existence of these forums and don't understand the point of the dedcon servers entirely.

I still find it very, very odd that IV didn't anticipate the problem with deadbeats.
hobophobe
level1
level1

Postby hobophobe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:51 am

kentuckyfried wrote:I still find it very, very odd that IV didn't anticipate the problem with deadbeats.

Odder still is what they've done about the problem so far: F**K ALL.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:39 am

Nope, they helped with some things in DedCon, answering questions, making the metaserver explicitly support it.

With anti-griefing, you basically have to go all the way or you don't have to start at all. If you take away one way to grief, the various forms of scum will find another way, and what they will do cannot be anticipated reliably. Something like this can happen:
- right now, the most widespread form of griefing is a simple chat flood. You fix that.
- griefers notice chat flooding doesn't work anymore. So they switch to changing their names and flooding the chat box that way. You fix that, too.
- griefers notice all flooding is fixed. So next thing they do is to recklessly give out game intel. You cannot detect that automatically, so you add ingame kicking for the host.
- with another favorite pasttime gone, griefers start to run servers on their own and randomly kick players in the middle of the game. Ok, so you forbid to kick active players.
- now the griefers enter random games as players and leave the speed on realtime. Now you have to change the game mechanics.
- next thing the griefers do is spam other players with alliance requests. And so on.
I didn't make that up; that's basically what happend with DedCon, leaving out the various idiotic behaviors in the lobby, and that some of the griefers' actions were anticipated by smart forum members or detected early enough so a fix could be made available before they became widespread. 90% of the work that went into DedCon deals with griefers in one way or another.

These guys are destructively creative, and I have the theory that they somehow communicate and that there is a big meeting place for internet smegheads somewhere out there. Maybe this is the place? http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/forum/ ... hp?forum=7
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 am

The problem is that every Dedcon doesn't have realtime budget, only your's Bert. Some even have kick disabled... This is why I always try play on Dedcon Test Totally Random before any other server.

Also, if someone is spamming you with ally requests, just don't answer it. This will force them to ask you only once every 60 seconds, which will annoy them.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:14 am

hi there (name sux) wrote:The problem is that every Dedcon doesn't have realtime budget, only your's Bert. Some even have kick disabled... This is why I always try play on Dedcon Test Totally Random before any other server.

Also, if someone is spamming you with ally requests, just don't answer it. This will force them to ask you only once every 60 seconds, which will annoy them.

Hi there, even without real time budget the anti-griefing is effective.
My bot will auto-speed up people who are leaving it on real time "for too long".
Sure, you can hit 1x immediately after that again, but I still need to look into the real time budgets.

Of course, if no one mentions this to me ("Yo torig, your server sucks because the real time budget isn't enabled") I can't do much about it. I can set some parameters and hope they are enjoyable, but I'd say I play my servers the least. So it's others feedback I have to go by ;)

I've got /kick, but only for mods/admins. Which is only me really, and I'm not constantly around.

I'll look into the majority-vote kicking, but once that's popular/mainstream expect to see it abused (a bit) too :(

edit: For the main poster, get involved in some of the forum-ran ladder matches, such as the 2v2 and the 1v1, or even the (somewhat forgotten) King Of the Hill (koth) 1v1.
These people won't chatflood, hack or abuse you. They will not drop from games unless technical problems cause them too (in a freak occurence) and it will generally help you preserve your fun & general sanity ;)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:35 am

I don't get it. Does every game out there with online capabilities possess anti-spam measures? Is IV that far behind that everyone has to place the blame on then?
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 am

Xocrates wrote:I don't get it. Does every game out there with online capabilities possess anti-spam measures? Is IV that far behind that everyone has to place the blame on then?

In the case of Ultima Online (yes, it's ancient) this was dealt with easily:
- on the one hand, you had to be 16 (or even 18) to be allowed to have an account.
- you could player kill in Felucca. Helped keep the smashtalk in control.
"Whahaha you n00b, prancing around with a full platemail armour and a weapon of vanquishing (+X damage bonus, expen$$ive weapons)!!! Die at my hand"
<hits macroes to wear magic leather tunic and an axe of <whatever the name was> (double damage to humanoids).
"OoooOOOOOoooOOOOO" (ghost of griefer while you looted his corpse clean of every item, gold piece, ...).
Very, very satisfying.

One thing that sticks out is mostly that the spamming people are people that _own_ a defcon key. People tend to really react badly to being backstabbed for the first time, too. (Hence "cease fire abuse", which is something that doesn't exist in defcon really but is named thusly by unexperienced players).

Return to “General”