How long was it before you won your first game?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MegaDeathKill!
level2
level2

How long was it before you won your first game?

Postby MegaDeathKill! » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Did you win immediately, or did it take a lot of time (and thrashings) before you learned the ropes?
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Honestly, I don't remember.
Back when I started everyone was quite new to the game, and I played diplomacy games all of the time.
There seemed to be more diplo games back then than now, anyways. In those I came out equally well, but I sure as hell got nuked to shreds more than I won I think ;)
MegaDeathKill!
level2
level2

Postby MegaDeathKill! » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:51 pm

I've just won mine! It was a one v one, my 4th game. This game is amazing and all for only £15 (plus Uplink!) It's also the sort of game that we'll probably play for years on and off!

I'm not going to use my real 'name' until I've won a few victories and can hold my head up high!

Edit: Oh sod it, why not use my real 'name'?
Last edited by MegaDeathKill! on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kumiankka
level1
level1

Postby Kumiankka » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:46 pm

I downloaded the demo about two weeks ago and immediately tried 1v1 online... took a beating of course, playing South America against USA, only got a couple of nukes through into New York and Washington. :(

Later on I started getting some wins too, after practicing against the CPU for a while :roll:
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:24 am

Still waiting.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:03 am

first game i played I won with 100+ points. I am trying to find the screenshot. I did a glorious sub attack on the east coast which won it for me.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:34 am

I honestly don't remember. I have a general feeling that it was within a game or two though. I remember being absolutely terrified of 6 player games for a long while. :shock: Then I played one.

The only other games I had played against others online was Star Trek: Armada, briefly because by the time I picked up the game (years after it was released) the community had long since formed clans and gotten every possible tactic down pat, and NFS Most wanted. Although I did have a brief try at Star Wars Galaxies. (Demo) Uh, boring.

Well, if you don't count Spades and Checkers that is... :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:02 am

I pretty much walked over the CPU from the start. Only played 2-3 games (including tutorial) after I decided it was too boring, and went online.

I won either the first or the second game, cant remember. First week I won about 50% of the games (most 6 player), after that about 2/3rds to 80%.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:29 am

I twigged fairly early that 6-player games require aggression.

In my third game, I was Europe, allied with Russia, swamped USSR airspace with my bombers, launched silos and subs all over NA / Africa then broke the alliance and launched on Russia.

I think I got the ethos of DefCon pretty quickly. I'm still always bested by anyone who has better micromangement though... Or anytime in Diplomacy...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:35 am

I beat the CPU my first time, then a second, then lost against CPU when I went to get a sandwich.

I lost my first 1v1, and my second, but I won the third when the other player went to get sandwich ( It was LAN )
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:46 pm

i won my first match 2 months ago

ive been playing for 6 :cry:
The Black Death
level1
level1

Re: How long was it before you won your first game?

Postby The Black Death » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:33 pm

MegaDeathKill! wrote:Did you win immediately, or did it take a lot of time (and thrashings) before you learned the ropes?

I took about 11 goes before i actually won :oops:
The Black Death
level1
level1

Postby The Black Death » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:34 pm

Deamon wrote:I beat the CPU my first time, then a second, then lost against CPU when I went to get a sandwich.

I lost my first 1v1, and my second, but I won the third when the other player went to get sandwich ( It was LAN )

lol :lol:
whac-
level1
level1

Postby whac- » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:59 pm

i totally remember when i won my first game. It was great it took me about 6-8 game untill i got the basic tactic for the game. and then somehwere between the next few more games i finnaly won one. I was asia in a 6 player match. Africa was my ally. I had put all my subs in the indian and launched everything on russia. and then my carriers is sent Na where i hit La and Sf. And that was enough for me to win. And then thats where i started to grasp on. There were flaws in my plans but overall they were very efective agiainst noobs. And when i started to play with the pro players i learned form them and got ideas form them. Like take out silos first keep carriers behind ships. Have silos away form radar range all sorts of stuff.
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 am

2nd full game, albeit a me v machine one.

I think I was USA and comp was Europe. Was very little "tactics" involved and it came down to the fact that I forgot about a couple of subs I parked up closer to Siberia than mainland Europe. :wink:

Return to “General”