General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Defcon v1.43 almost ready

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Hello,

Defcon patch 1.43 has been produced and is very nearly ready to be released publicly. Before that happens we'd like to do some last minute checks on it (with your assistance), just to be sure we didn't break anything in the mean time.

Please download patch 1.43 from here:
http://www.everybody-dies.com/downloads ... -v1.43.exe

Please be sure to test this patch works ok for you, and fixes the ship movement exploit that previously allowed people to sail through continents.

Post your responses in this thread. We are hoping to release this patch publicly tommorow.
Thanks!
Last edited by Chris on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks for all the hard work... *goes off to test*
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:00 pm

I can't test it directly, my XP partition is what they call "b0rk".
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:01 pm

I'll be testing as soon as I'm back from work!
<Demosthenes>
level1
level1

Postby <Demosthenes> » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Psh, you got to test it AT work man!
Panther Unit
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:39 pm

<Demosthenes> wrote:Psh, you got to test it AT work man!

Yea......Go office mode!!!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:47 pm

The australia bug does not appear to be fixed though, so it seems one can still cross continents :?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Well some quick testing...

I certainly can't reproduce the "ship exploit" in the sense that you can move over dry land because of the Hudson/Med. The odd movement from Australia is still there; moving towards the east (western S. America) sends your ships south between Australia/New Zealand.

On side note, the North Sea seems to be a little "less" accessible, the Sea of Japan/South China Sea seem to be the same (which is good), and projected missile arcs are (still) not to be trusted especially in the Middle East.

Oh yeah, thanks for leaving the Bering passable... :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Angel of Death wrote:

Honestly, I know that if I install it at work that I will never get anyhting done. At first, I'll only check it every 15-30 minutes. By the end of the day I'll be checking it every five minutes, spending five to ten minutes at a time doing so. I don't trust my ability ot resist. :wink:
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Feud wrote:
Angel of Death wrote:

Honestly, I know that if I install it at work that I will never get anyhting done. At first, I'll only check it every 15-30 minutes. By the end of the day I'll be checking it every five minutes, spending five to ten minutes at a time doing so. I don't trust my ability ot resist. :wink:

I know what you mean....I would be fired the first week!!!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:53 pm

So far, no new problems have emerged with it here. I haven't been actively playing, only spectating, though.
Tucsoncoyote
level1
level1

Question...

Postby Tucsoncoyote » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:10 am

I have a simple question:

if I downloaded the 1.43 Beta 1 patch, will this new one supersede it, or will I have to uninstall the 1.43 beta 1 patch so I could install the current 1.43 patch? :?:

Tucsoncoyote(aka Gen.Stormfury)--
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 am

Typically, all patches can just be installed on top of each other, provided you do it in the correct order; installing 1.43, then 1.4 may not give you the real 1.4, but installing 1.43 on top of 1.43 beta1 or anything else before that should work just fine.
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 am

I hate to report something as I really want to see this get out, so I will emphasize that this bug is a minor thing as it is probably rarely if ever going to come up but, the subs have issues when sitting next to alaska and trying to tell them to go through the bering straight. When you position them below the strait and tell them to go above it, they first split up, a group of 6 subs splitting with 4 subs going left and 2 going right. After they have split, they slowly rejoin in formation and freeze right where they are, still indicating that they have orders to go around africa and come up around europe.

Reproduction steps.

1.) Start as North America (any superpower will probably work though)
2.) Create a 6 sub group (I haven't tested other ship pairings yet, but they will potentially behave the same way, I'll have to test more later.
3.)Position your subs as high as they can go directly below the bering straight.
4.) Tell them to move tot the water directly above the straight. Use a straight line.
5.) The ships should now move southward, indicating that they are going down past ussr and asia, around africa, and then up past europe into the waters above Alaska.
6.)After they have moved southward a bit, the formation will split in two and move in opposite directions. After a moment, they will group back together and remain where they are until given new orders.

Please try to reproduce this in as many ways as possible and let's see if it is something to worry about. I don't think it is enough to hold a patch for.

Edit: Keep in mind, I don't know the proper procedure for actually getting ships through the strait so this error occured on a looooooong go around.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:30 pm

I posted this in the beta forums in May. Is it the same thing?:

xander wrote:Fleets behave oddly near the world wrap, when they are ordered along the line of the wrap.

http://yozh.org/sandbox/haywire_fleets.mov

Place a fleet on the line (drawn on the whiteboard, where the map wraps). Then, order the fleet due south of New Zealand along that line. The fleet will divide, ships on one side of the line going one way, and ships on the other side going another. After a bit, they will then try to regroup, will meet up near their original position, and sill stall. They will still show orders to travel, but they don't move. I have tested this with 6 ship fleets, both same unit type and mixed. I have not yet tried it will smaller fleets, and I have not tried going north. I will probably get to it later today, but don't have time right now. If someone else wants to experiment, be my guest. :)

xander

Return to “General”