Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Yes, you need to add

Code: Select all

GameMode 6

before you can do the more obscure changes.

Also, a suggestion, for making the spectator chat private, use this at the END of the config:

WaitStart
SpectatorChatChannel 0

That way you avoid the spam bug.

ynbniar: The random port is not chosen by DedCon, it is chosen by your router. Usually, whenever possible, a router will leave the desired port unaltered, and usually, the metaserver matchmaking service compensates for that. Can you host games with the regular DEFCON client on the machine that runs the server?

Ok i try these but there are a few things still wrong like it noty accepting random terrirtories to begin with strange
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:49 am

Sorry Cobra I was sleepy mode, 5 min and I'll be free for you :D
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:33 am

I have it up and working but random terrirtories still not set as default also now big question what do i have to do to keep server up and running all the time???

Leave my comp with dedcon on permenently???
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 am

FinalConfig :

Include authkey
Include ConfigVersion-1.43-beta1
# put your configuration below this line

TimestampFormat %T:

Include ConfigVersion-1.43

HostName Cobra's Bot
ServerName (COBRA)'s DedCon Totally Random Premium

AdvertiseOnInternet 1

GameMode 6
TerritoriesPerTeam 1
CitiesPerTerritory 50
CityPopulations 3
RandomTerritories 1
PopulationPerTerritory 200

PermitDefection 1
RadarSharing 1

GameSpeed 0
SlowestSpeed 1

ScoreMode 0

VictoryTrigger 20
VictoryTimer 45
MaxGameRealTime 0
VariableUnitCounts 1
WorldScale 100
MaxSpectators 4
TeamSwitching 0

MaxTeams 6
MinTeams 4

MaxPing 500

# run for at least an hour
MinRunTime 3700

SeqIDMaxAhead 300

# slowdown budget
SlowBudgetRefill 20
SlowBudgetStart 240
SlowBudgetMax 300
SlowBudgetUseRealtime 100
SlowBudgetUse5x 0

KicksToSpectator 2
KicktsToBan 3
KickVoteMin 3
KickVoteMinPlayers 2
GhostProtection 2
ChatsPerMinute 12

TotalBandwidth 10000
PlayerBandwidth 8000

IdleTimeGlobal 1200

# have extra low requirements to use includes
AdminLevelInclude 5

Admin Cobra Commander~421910~0~

WaitClient
Say Welcome to (COBRA)'s DedCon Totally Random Premium
Say Feel free to start a game any time.
Say This server will only allow you to start when at least 4 players have joined. .
WaitStart
Say Here we go!!
SpectatorChatChannel 0

Just run DedCon and go away..
Last edited by (MOR) on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:49 am

This looks like my week for asking questions:

Most max pings in servers (exc paranoia) are set to 500.

Could this be raised to, for example, 700 without adversely affecting the gameplay of all players?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:55 am

Well, the problem is that your regular player who notices a ping of > 500 as soon as the game started will cry "Laaaaag" and leave. The obvious exceptions being those who are used to high pings, like those living on the other side of the globe relative to the servers. I can raise the ping limit on my servers for a while to 1000 and we'll see what happens.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 am

Thank you Bert.

I have had the good fortune of players moving to other servers to accommodate my high ping, but I cannot expect this to happen every game.
The servers I have the most problems with are (MOR)'s, which at present are the servers I most enjoy playing on. Joseph Heller anyone?

If the raised ping causes problems for others then of course I would expect it to be reduced back to 500.

I should add that this is not a constant problem - sometimes my ping hovers quite happily around 450 :roll:

Oh well, at least we have plenty of sheep...
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:ynbniar: The random port is not chosen by DedCon, it is chosen by your router. Usually, whenever possible, a router will leave the desired port unaltered, and usually, the metaserver matchmaking service compensates for that. Can you host games with the regular DEFCON client on the machine that runs the server?

Yes I was able to host games (haven't since DedCon came along)...though not everyone was able to connect...I couldn't host any of the original tournament games because all or some of the players couldn't connect.

If I start a normal game now without Dedcon it shows my real IP with port 5xxxx for internet identity and my "pretend" IP and port 5010 for LAN identity :?:
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm

If the external port, as displayed by the server browser, behaves similarly in DEFCON and DedCon, the part of the protocol that determines it probably works correctly. What does not work correctly is the NAT piercing protocol. What is supposed to happen when a client wants to connect to your server is this:

- The client sends a "I want to connect to server <public server ip>:<public server port>" message to the metaserver
- The metaserver sends a "Client on <public client ip>:<public client port> wants to connect to you" message to the server
- The server sends a "Hello!" message to <public client ip>:<public client port>
- The client, ever since it sent the message to the metaserver, tries to connect to <public server ip>:<public server port>

The problem this tries to work around is that NAT routers only handle outgoing connections and can't handle incoming connections. The purpose of the "Hello!" message is to pretend the connection from the server to the client is an outgoing connection, where in fact it is incoming. The whole thing only works if some assumptions are met, the most important one being that the public port the NAT router assigns to a connection does not depend on the target, and that needs to be the case for both the client's and the server's NAT.

Now, why do I ramble about this? The message from the metaserver to the server is a bit odd, it contains two IP:port pairs. The second pair appears to be rubbish, the port constantly changes, so DedCon ignores it. My suspicion now is that your NAT is of the type that is not supported by the protocol as outlined above; since DedCon only uses that method, it fails for you. The regular DEFCON client, as I suspect now, uses an extended version of the protocol that works as long as ONE of the NATs involved is of the good type. That would explain why only some players can connect to you if you host regularly, those are the players with a good NAT. Players with a bad NAT can't connect to you.

The easy way now to go on for you is to set up port forwarding. That always works. Use the designated 5010 port for that (or whatever you want to set up on the server), ignore the public port you get usually; once port forwarding is set up, your public port should match the private port. Once this is done, all players should be able to connect.

The slightly more complicated way would be if you help implementing the full version of the protocol. You'll need to just run a server version with debug output I'd send you. However, once this is done, still only some players will be able to connect to you.

I'm leaning towards not fully implementing the connection protocol; it is, IMHO, better to have a server admin either give up or set up port forwarding if he has a "bad" NAT, I don't like the idea of servers on the server list that some players just cannot reach.

EDIT: Sorry to those who were wrongly accused of spamming on my servers yesterday. It vas an inverted logic error :) The events have been cleared from your criminal files, of course.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote: a lot of helpful stuff

Thanks Bert...I won't clog up this thread or the Defcon General section with any more of my tedious router problems.

Last word though is that I have already got port forwarding set up...on my router and XP firewall...I've had port forwarding setup for ages.

I'll try it again tonight maybe and if I need to I'll post about it in the DedCon thread in the mods section...probably more apporpriate there.

Cheers

Return to “General”