What's up with those people :(

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torig
level5
level5

What's up with those people :(

Postby torig » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:43 pm

I was looking for a game, but it was kind of slow/I saw no interesting games. Second best option is to find a cool game to spec.
I noticed Steve :D was on, and since I know him and have played with him I popped over there to spec the game.

I arrived at Defcon 1 counting down, and NewPlayer (a NewPlayer that is) was just explaining to the other two that "Africa would be undefended. In previous games it was managed to take out 80 percent of the population". Also he "liked seeing Israel and Iran/Iraq hit, as well as Africa as it filled him with deep satisfaction to see those problems solved".

Now I didn't want to ruin the game, but I did tell that guy he is a big racist. And then that I was leaving and not watching the game because of that bullshit.

Some discussion ensued (mostly the other guys agreeing/understanding; and the NewPlayer mouthing off some extra smack talk about "the solution to both problems" and how he liked seeing a nuke hit "those muslims") and I did just that: leave.
What was funny is that he explained to me, the purpose of the game, as being : "seeing places you do not like get hit by nukes" :? :shock:

Look, I'm not trying to be overly sensitive here, but if anyone from the forumz notices this kind of behaviour, and decides to play the game anyways I'd be sad.
Not to mention desillusioned ;)

I know, I know, not a positive post, not a post that will change anything, not a rant really either. Consider it as a good-hearted wtf ;)
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:52 pm

I sometimes also make some innocent remarks (when i'm usa and west coast get's hit i'll state i've always been a east coast fan or something along that line, but nothing really serious.)

why the hell would he want to nuke iraq and israel ? i don't remember any cities being there
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:57 pm

Well he didn't say Iraq, I interpreted that. He did mention Israel though :s

There is a difference between making innocent remarks -which even I do- and saying stuff like :

the only good Africans are glowing dead Africans.

Also, not placing any units and getting your enjoyment and thrills from the bare fact "the Africans are getting it" is a far stretch from being an innocent remark.

I'm not in any way sensitive to racism normally. I'm essentially a racist too. Only, my selection criterium is not race, it's open-mindedness (and intelligence, to some extent).
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:31 pm

If you increase the number of cities, Baghdad will appear as a target. Also, Jerusalem is in the city list, so I have seen it appear on Totally Random Cities before. Tel Aviv might be in the city list too, I'd have to check.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:35 am

and how he liked seeing a nuke hit "those muslims") and I did just that

:o !
daz0r
level0

Re: What's up with those people :(

Postby daz0r » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:34 am

torig wrote:but I did tell that guy he is a big racist. ... wtf ;)

You must be new to the Internet. Welcome! And sorry for all the losers.
thindigital
level1
level1

Postby thindigital » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:30 pm

i played a game with this guy in i think, endless ranting about seeing Africa nuked - im undefended he said blah blah bleh..

me and another guy nuked the crap out of him, i turned off chat cus im not interested in tht kinda crap... cheers for the points tho :)
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:32 pm

DueAccident wrote:
and how he liked seeing a nuke hit "those muslims") and I did just that

:o !

Hey don't misquote me :)
Or perhaps I wrote it quite strangly, but the "I did just that" referred to leaving (after stating I would)

@daz0r new to the internet. That's a good one ;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:35 pm

A guy joined my server, calling himself Nuke Them Paki's[sic]. I did comment on the racism, but no-one seemed to care; one person did say that he'll get his comeuppance ingame - and he did, coming last by a large margin.

Still, "new to the internet" or not, it's perfectly allowable to dislike or disapprove of racism..
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “General”