IV Gets Tough on Crime

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

IV Gets Tough on Crime

Postby Feud » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:18 am

Anyone else notice the new notice on the main screen?

I say more power to 'em. That type of stuff is one of my personal pet peeves, so I'm glad that IV did what they did.

Who knows, maybe all those griefers that have shown up as of late will dry up now. :D
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 am

While arguments can be made for pirated software actually benefiting the companies that made it, I definitely don't think Introversion is one of them. I think they're quite generous in giving out a free Demo that's not even terribly crippled, and if you aren't happy with that or the cheap price of around $20 for the full version, then something's wrong with you. I mean jeez, I don't even have a job and I still bought it!

That's insane though, 10,000 users using the same handful of keys... I didn't even know that many people played, given the small number of active games at any given time.

Interresting.

I hope my key never gets stolen, that would really suck.

It will be funny if there's fewer "game ruiners" now though.

-Rog
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:04 am

About game ruiners - just nuked one. Really nuked. His computer just coudn't swallow a 10K ping repeated at 100 ms rate :)
Dropped in the middle of that cr@p he flooded the chat window with :) Nuke the bastards it is probaly more fun than the game itself. If you ever plan to host a game - try to get some DoS tools - as soon as such a jerk reveals himself - "nuke" him.
Masaq
level2
level2

Postby Masaq » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:22 am

I say:

Go IV.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:11 am

And here I am with a legit key, unable to play the game. :(

VISTA SUPPORT !! :(

Man, 10k players, thats just hilarious. ( That'll decrease server load a notch. )
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
xray
level1
level1

Postby xray » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:09 am

I've seen it too. I can understand the move, but somebody has to be the legit owner ... of course it's hard to determine. But if he bought it with CC can't you check ? They most likely got their key stolen. The text about not wanting to hear from those is very harsh.
And I think it shout be "were" instead of "we're" :roll:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:45 am

xray wrote:I've seen it too. I can understand the move, but somebody has to be the legit owner ... of course it's hard to determine. But if he bought it with CC can't you check ? They most likely got their key stolen. The text about not wanting to hear from those is very harsh.
And I think it shout be "were" instead of "we're" :roll:

Maybe they had their keys stolen. I consider it more likely that they gave their keys away. Maybe to friends, who then gave keys to their friends, &c. Doesn't really matter. They weren't careful with their property, and they deserve to have their keys revoked.

xander
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:57 am

Good work.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:40 am

Rogviler wrote:While arguments can be made for pirated software actually benefiting the companies that made it, I definitely don't think Introversion is one of them. I think they're quite generous in giving out a free Demo that's not even terribly crippled, and if you aren't happy with that or the cheap price of around $20 for the full version, then something's wrong with you. I mean jeez, I don't even have a job and I still bought it!

That's insane though, 10,000 users using the same handful of keys... I didn't even know that many people played, given the small number of active games at any given time.

Interresting.

I hope my key never gets stolen, that would really suck.

It will be funny if there's fewer "game ruiners" now though.

-Rog

Funnily enough i was thinking this today. Considering how much enjoyment and play i get out of Defcon (it's the only game i play or have time to at the moment) i'd have been willing to pay full price for it, say (£39.99), but go figure :roll:

On the IV key issue i too think it's quite harsh to say to those few players whose keys are being used that they don't want to hear from you :? i can understand IV's anger on the issue, especially considering the small number of keys compared to the large number of players abusing them (that's a possible 10,000 copies worth of game income lost/not taken, you do the math) but i guess there's no margin for fairness on this matter...anyone can claim their key was stolen :roll: (hopes his key still works when he gets back).

Luckily the game is cheap enough for anyone not to complain and just get another key :)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:32 pm

To those who say "IV's being unfair to those whom had their keys stolen". They are not. Two of the stolen keys came from STEAM accounts, ergo two people are letting others use their steam account. The other three people would have been told by the metaserver via e-mail that their key had been used from a number of IPs. Since they did nothing based upon those e-mails, it's to be assumed they facilitated the piracy by not acting. It's more than fair for IV to say they don't want to hear from them, as it was those who screwed everything up.

NeoThermic
Rising Thunder MVP
level2
level2

Postby Rising Thunder MVP » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:39 pm

10,000 players!!! Dont think there is that many players. Also spotted peace and love with a new nick as a demo player, something like "hope and trust" or some shit. When I asked her/he/it about it it quickly left the lobby.
OAM
level2
level2

Postby OAM » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Wow, 10,000, I didn't even know that many people heard of Defcon, let alone played it. Plus, thats 5x the size of my city.

Also, I wonder if you put a steam auth key in a non-steam version if it would work, because I highly doubt people would let someone in there actual steam account, if only for the reason only one can use it at a time.
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:52 pm

This is good :). I did not know that this was a serious problem, but I am glad they take these messures.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:56 pm

OAM wrote:Also, I wonder if you put a steam auth key in a non-steam version if it would work,

Yes it does! I do it myself so I don't have to wait for steam to load up. The keys are revoked after a while though and you have to login back on steam to get a new one.
OAM
level2
level2

Postby OAM » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:49 pm

Yes, steam is a very love hate relationship. Also some guy on counterstrike was talking about on the steam demo, if you open and close the game enough it would give you the full version :?: :!: :?:

Return to “General”