General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Re: Endless Unbiased Official Top 25

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:51 am

I will not suck your balls Endless, but I will say, in all honesty, that:

1. I appreciate the recognition, even though I think such lists are useless - it is the in-game record that counts.

2. I should, when the ranking is there, be ranked below Legendary - he is, with the exception of MOR and perhaps Kudayta, the best player I have ever met.

and

3. The notion that "naval and other skills" are more important than the ability to win games is a continous plague in the Defcon community. It is vanity, and nothing else. Granted, good naval skills are a big advantage (and a skill to master!), but only if it helps you win games. I have endured countless 2v2 games where either my opponent or my comrade has wasted time, not to mention nukes and thereby points, by hour-consuming naval trips. It is no more important (actually less so) than the ability to maneuver subs to the designated target, manage bomber waves, and use your silos to a tactical advantage.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:59 am

MAXtheMASTER wrote:3. The notion that "naval and other skills" are more important than the ability to win games is a continous plague in the Defcon community. It is vanity, and nothing else. Granted, good naval skills are a big advantage (and a skill to master!), but only if it helps you win games. I have endured countless 2v2 games where either my opponent or my comrade has wasted time, not to mention nukes and thereby points, by hour-consuming naval trips. It is no more important (actually less so) than the ability to maneuver subs to the designated target, manage bomber waves, and use your silos to a tactical advantage.

Your right and "were" right.

MAXtheMASTER wrote:Granted, good naval skills are a big advantage (and a skill to master!)

Yes its a key component to Defcon.

MAXtheMASTER wrote:ability to maneuver subs to the designated target, manage bomber waves, and use your silos to a tactical advantage.

Yes this as well a key component to Defcon.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:59 am

A vanity which determines the outcome of games
Abu Jazar
level2
level2

Postby Abu Jazar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:18 am

While Abu Jazar recognizes Legendary's achievements, those are nil in comparison with the feats of Abu Jazar. And even those of MAX the MASTER, given the continuity of his victories.

Abu Jazar finds the traits of the 1v1 «elite» most entertaining, and their attentiveness to a subsentence of his last announcement only serve to fortify Abu Jazar's statement that 1v1 is a decadent and dismal perversion of the game.

In case the kids forgot, Bert long ago developed a proper ranking system for all but the perverted 1v1 version of DEFCON, which as far as Abu Jazar knows still serves to generate ranking tables.
If anyone would be interested, the undersigned would consider to aid the development of a new ranking system.
MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 am

By the way. There is no such thing in Defcon as "stealing anyone's points". This is not a 13th century chivalry game. It is a nuclear warfare game. Being first to the post is pretty critical in the doctrines of nuclear warfare, I am told.
Stealth Mode
level1
level1

Postby Stealth Mode » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 am

hmm well I don't completely agree with that max, not that it bothers me but some games or even the styles of some players like to dispatch with opponents navy before striking in this scenario of game or players style points can be stolen from a player who's worked to get a better position,
MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:58 am

Absolutely Stealth, and I have the outmost respect for players who are able to take down all the opponent's defenses before striking. However, a quick and effective attack is the perfect counter to such a way of playing - and that makes it superior, not inferior, to the more time-consuming types of play.
Stealth Mode
level1
level1

Postby Stealth Mode » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:06 pm

hey endless the thing with FIDE\elo systems they work off a handicapped strength for eg: my elo is 2080 if I played a player say rated at 1100 even if I win the game my rating will drop because of the skill difference what this system would achieve in defcon basically no noobs and good players will play and everyone will be looking at wether the game is worth playing on the count of the ratings
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Well until someone develops this system, and it's fool proof, I'll just keep on keepin on with my list. Ok bro? OK BRO? OK BRO?
Stealth Mode
level1
level1

Postby Stealth Mode » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:18 pm

all good bro just saying that's the biggest problem with the chess rating system youll never see a GM play a low rated player in a rated game unless in tourney draw which is very unlikely swiss system tourneys keep the pools pretty balanced but still a unbalanced match will happen as the pools progress
Mr.Cows
level2
level2

Postby Mr.Cows » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Legendary should definitly be in top 5 if not higher. Where am I?
Mr.Cows
level2
level2

Postby Mr.Cows » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:17 pm

MAXtheMASTER wrote: The notion that "naval and other skills" are more important than the ability to win games is a continous plague in the Defcon community. It is vanity, and nothing else. Granted, good naval skills are a big advantage (and a skill to master!), but only if it helps you win games. I have endured countless 2v2 games where either my opponent or my comrade has wasted time, not to mention nukes and thereby points, by hour-consuming naval trips. It is no more important (actually less so) than the ability to maneuver subs to the designated target, manage bomber waves, and use your silos to a tactical advantage.

You should firstly get the basics down and then come speaking about naval.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Mr.Cows wrote:Legendary should definitly be in top 5 if not higher. Where am I?

You have to poke your head around more often :/ I'll update it here in a few.

Edit: Done. Took out cumiro. Moved Legendary to his spot. Has anyone seen Cumiro?
MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Yes, cumiro was around a couple of days ago.
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Not enough players for the remaining top 25??

Hi Endless,
May I suggest you look at Rad Poison, VSJ, Mr.MegaDeath, Zochin, Blitzkrieg, Arstotzka to fill up more of the top 25. All of them are active.

Just the other day, I watched the most dynamic 1v1, I have seen in a while, between Blitz and Arstotzka, I call him Mr.A. It was a Asia v Russia setup, I don't recall what server, one of them will have to post the link, but Blitz was Asia and Mr.A was Russia, They took what could have been a boring(like watching paint dry) get just the points game and made it so much more.

LHH

Return to “General”