Future tournaments - Vanilla rules?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Future tournaments - Vanilla rules?

Postby caranthir.pkk » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Just wanted to throw this out there, maybe future competitions should include rules that limit the modding that can be done to the game by players. My main issue would be the map modifications that show for example the maximum radar range of each continent etc., giving people an unfair advantage. I understand people might need these crouches in normal gameplay but I think it should not enter into the tournys we have. (enforcement would be very easy through mandatory screenshots)

my $0.02
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:19 pm

Should dimmer explosions be allowed?

One could argue that they obscure less of your territory, giving an unfair advantage. Not a big one, but still an advantage.
Michael
level0

Re: Future tournaments - Vanilla rules?

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm not sure, There are so many differences from one machine to the next. Try playing defcon with a 12inch screen and a track-point instead of a mouse!

There are differences in computer performance, screen size and distractions such as phone calls, girlfriends, your boss etc. There is never going to be a level playing field.

And if we were in a bombproof bunker commanding nuclear war I image we would have a good idea of what the enemy radar range was. I actually think that the default background should be one that show max radar range, or maybe just a tool on the toolbar.

I agree with the dimmer explosions point too.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:40 pm

Circumvention of the enforcement would be easy by disabling the mods before taking the screenshots.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:00 pm

yeah, you can enable and disable mods ingame if I remeber correctly.
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:12 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Circumvention of the enforcement would be easy by disabling the mods before taking the screenshots.

that sux...
diomedes
level2
level2

Postby diomedes » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 pm

i draw the enemies radar ranges on the whiteboard :?
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Guys, if you can't win just because your enemy has radar ranges marked on the map then you just play poorly, admit it. A bad dancer always blames on his balls. :lol:
NMO
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:11 pm

torq wrote:Guys, if you can't win just because your enemy has radar ranges marked on the map then you just play poorly, admit it. A bad dancer always blames on his balls. :lol:

I'm just talking about establishing the same conditions for tournament play; but thanks for the smart comment...
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:11 am

I don't use any modifications when playing except for a custom surfaced sub symbol. Whenever submarines surface a very clear "A" (A is for armed) appears above them since the differences between the different sub modes are so miniscule. Perhaps we should look at what's useful and isntead make it easily available in tournaments. That way, we can determine if something is fair and proper, or if it's a ridiculous advantage. More transparent explosions seem like something that should be in tournament play by default for example, along with clearly visible information of what a sub is doing.

Return to “General”