How to UNBAN yourself - DEFCON GESTAPO PROOF!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Dantesinferno
level3
level3

How to UNBAN yourself - DEFCON GESTAPO PROOF!

Postby Dantesinferno » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Been banned for quitting? KeyID locked out because the DEFCON GESTAPO didn't like the colour of your Tshirt?
Can't log onto SFCON?

I have been banned before and you know what? Its SIMPLES to sort it out!!

1. Uninstall DEFCON
2. Install Steam
3. Reinstall DEFCON through Steam
4. Profit
5. Seriously by this time you will have a new Key (steam install is demo but with full features) and as long as you don;t mess about again you won't get banned.

Notes: If you have steam already you will have to uninstall steam and then redownload it again. Make sure its a new account use a disposable e-mail address to register so your not spammed to death by Steam.

FXXK the DEFCON GESTAPO they cannot stop you playing your game if your smart.....
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Re: How to UNBAN yourself - DEFCON GESTAPO PROOF!

Postby nuclear cocaine » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Till I notice and bsn IP :)
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 pm

except you can't!

I am willing to show you if you like.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:33 pm

You don't even need to reinstall DEFCON. Just delete the cleartext key file in the installation and a new one will be generated.

Colytic
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 pm

<snip>
Last edited by Siсiliаn Ноundd on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 am

You don't even need to reinstall DEFCON. Just delete the cleartext key file in the installation and a new one will be generated.

The file authkey does autogenerate but its exactly the same key - you need a new steam unless I am doing it wrong?
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 am

@Dante

You can do it. But if you meet me in a good day I will do your work really hard...
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Just use the Demo version, then you have no keyID at all to worry about.

Dantesinferno wrote:Image

Since GeStaPo, means GeheimeStaatsPolizei, Secret State Police, it's surpicing how neat decorated that guy is.
You will just hear his nazi medal bling bling from 3 blocks away. Enough time to not only smoke but also roll your joint inbefore he can "surprice" you.

Well, I am talking nonsense, but really reminds me to think about my chrismas tree.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Dantesinferno wrote:The file authkey does autogenerate but its exactly the same key - you need a new steam unless I am doing it wrong?

I have a paid version and it regenerates for me - might not for the DEMO, I don't know.

trickser wrote:You will just hear his nazi medal bling bling from 3 blocks away. Enough time to not only smoke but also roll your joint inbefore he can "surprice" you.

Well, I am talking nonsense, but really reminds me to think about my chrismas tree.

LOL God bless you Sen.

Colytic
lacrosse1991
level1
level1

Postby lacrosse1991 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:15 am

Dantesinferno wrote:except you can't!

I am willing to show you if you like.

How would you go about bypassing the IP ban? Seems like it would not be worth the hassle
VSj
level2
level2

Postby VSj » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:24 pm

lacrosse1991 wrote:How would you go about bypassing the IP ban?

This is interesting :)

Where I live the ISPs usually (afaik) provide 5 dynamic IPv4 addresses per DSL line (or equivalent) and they may change quite frequently. I can switch between addresses by plugging the cable to another slot and/or changin the MAC address of my NIC.

Then there's always the mobile connections that seem to get a different IP every time I connect. To effectively ban me based on an IP range one would need to potentially ban hundreds of thousands of people (more if incompetent) and there's still the possibility of using proxies elsewhere.

I just wish people would behave so that there was no need to ban anyone.
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:36 am

What VSJ say's is true for me as well as I use a ISP which probably uses dynamic IP adresses- no hacking or proxy servers needed its all done by the pipe! :D

Dynamic allocation of IP addresses can complicate incoming IP address blocking, rendering it difficult to block a specific user without blocking a larger number of IP addresses (blocks of IP address ranges), thereby risking collateral damage caused by ISPs sharing IP addresses of multiple Internet users.

Like the IP address blocking of the Showtime website for non-US origins

IP address banning is also used to limit the syndication of content to a specific region. To achieve this, IP addresses are mapped to the countries they have been assigned to. This has been used to devastating effect most recently to target Nigerian IP addresses due to the perception that all business emanating from the country is fraudulent, thus making it extremely difficult for legitimate businesses based in the country to interact with their counterparts in the rest of the world. To make purchases abroad, it is rumoured Nigerians rely on proxy companies to mediate transactions.
lacrosse1991
level1
level1

Postby lacrosse1991 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Agreed, if a player wants to get back on a server, they will always find a way.

IMO banning IP address ranges or RDNS names is just stupid and overkill (in most situations), though under some circumstances I would not be against banning IP ranges or RDNS names of proxy/vpn providers that unsavory characters frequent. That would only be for certain providers of course, plus if a legitimate user wants to play the game bad enough, they can always use one of the many other providers out there (whereas the unwanted players ‘may’ give up after being forced to use a more expensive service, etc).

One other possible solution would be to monitor the server for login requests, check the login IP against a list of troublesome IP addresses and RDNS names, and then shoot an email over to the admins (only if an admin is not logged in at the time, to cut down on spam) notifying them of the login. The admin could then logon and make a decision of whether to ban or not based on their own discretion. This solution could quickly go south though if an admin has an itchy trigger finger.

You would of course have to identify the player under their new IP too, which could be a hassle if they are not obvious (though there are ways to narrow in on the players by using information gathered outside of the defcon server, but that is hit and miss).

It should not be forgotten that there is always the chance that multiple people are playing under the same IP (public libraries, hotspots, etc). Any time you ban an IP there is always a risk of banning innocent players, it should only be a last resort.

While I wouldn’t play defcon over my phone’s connection (lag/reconnection issues), phones are great for pestering people on IRC channels if they keep banning your IP ;) Can restart your phone and be back on the channel within a minute of being banned lol.

Return to “General”