SFCON Unban Request

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ivan le Fou
level0

Re: SFCON Unban Request

Postby Ivan le Fou » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Thank you sir. :)

Is it part of some "random-for-fun" ban campaign?
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Depends on how you look at it ;)
Ivan le Fou
level0

Postby Ivan le Fou » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, from what I read at least, there has been quiet an "issue" lately... gestapo things and such. Bit confusing...
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi
I will look into, but probably not today anymore.

btw, my name is spelled trickser. I am not picky about it, but hard to search for if spelled wrong.
Ivan le Fou
level0

Postby Ivan le Fou » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Thank you.

I tried to send you a PM to explain the situation, but it does not seem to work.

But take your time. Though this is a bit annoying, I am not in a hurry. ;)
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:Indeed, but I tried to bring up Mac Address banns, (& other forums of what I like to call a "Sure-Fire Ban" So it would be next to impossible to get around a Ban, but the discussion went no where. Also I am personally seeing this will be developed. Lastly I know these types of bans are "Frowned" upon by Internet Right Activist, but I really don't care, if you play the game and don't go looking for trouble you should not have to worry. :)

(Btw Connecting to a server automatically shows your Mac Address because the server logs information for many things like, recordings and other things. Not sure how that is a "Internet Right Violation".)

Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:05 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:You seem to be confused about MAC addresses. They do not show up automatically. They are unknown to the server and can only be determined in special cases (LAN games, mostly). The discussion about it went nowhere because it had nowhere to go.

There is a way to "manipulate" it, there is a way to get the Mac Addresses. This could go somewhere, but its being worked on.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:There is a way to "manipulate" it, there is a way to get the Mac Addresses. This could go somewhere, but its being worked on.

I'm not sure implementation of what you are speaking about would be legal.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Another argument against MAC adress usage:
The Internet is run by the IP protocol, which is pure logic abstraction, it says nothing about the physical layer it runs on, in fact there are many different hardware solutions it can be run on.
MAC adresses are part of the Ethernet protocol, which is a specification basically about the kind of wires the electrical signals run through. The protocol has some logical parts also. They care about what to do if signals are lost and how to find your desired partner, therefor the MAC adress.

As it happens: most internet connections, specially at home, are run on ethernet. But it's more like a random coincidence, the Internet doesnt need to be on ethernet at all.
A8U51V3 M0TH
level3
level3

Postby A8U51V3 M0TH » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 am

Basically Hound you believe that if you have "nothing to hide" then you have nothing to worry about. That's the attitude that turned the UK into CCTV central of the world. Which shocks me a little as I know you are a person who enjoys the more subversive parts of culture in particular the "ganga". So how would you feel if you were had a great Job and was working hard - when they suddenly decide to drug test you on the spot? You wouldn't be thinking I have nothing to hide so nothing to worry about, you would be thinking oh shit i am going to lose my job and possibly go on some record for being a drug abuser even though I got employee of the month.

Well same rules apply, you might not want to use the Internet for subversive purposes today but if you might in the future. Everyone has things they want to hide so its best not to go around infringing people's rights by blocking parts of the internet even small little public games servers. Its the wrong attitude and is typical byproduct of nanny states propaganda - they think the people want to be watched and protected by the goverment? Young people seem to think thats not such a bad thing - Seriously not cool!

I am pretty pissed with my ISP -as they have IP blocked 30 torrent and video streaming services in accordance with goverment rules. They are also starting a Blanket ban on "adult content" too - That's right I am going to have to call my ISP and ask them to unblock my internet soon if I feel like having a wank or trolling suicide websites.
Next I am sure it will be anything that has a possible link to terrorism till in the end the only thing you will get on the UK internet is BBC iplayer and Facebook. Yes I do think the Internet should be free and I also think I have the right to critic providers of internet services (including DEFCON server owners).

Also what you are discussing about MAC bans is "hacking" - Laika's is right its not exactly legal or ethical, even gov agencys get in serious trouble for those tactics. :)

To finish as well while I am on a top rant/troll- Endless is reputed to be a " all american policeman" and you (trickster) have employed a self confessed right wing tool of the united states to administer your freetime, good going again, it could only happen on DEFCON!
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Anyone from the UK on here, please do what you can.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/campaig ... eepwalking
http://stoptempora.com/

Colytic
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:43 pm

heheheh hardcore trolling (or maybe an IP address honeypot?)

F.A.H.E.S.
level1
level1

Postby F.A.H.E.S. » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Hello all,

I don't want to defend or judge LordMarshallPhoenyx. And I also don't want to put oil in a burning fire but...

the word GeStaPo fits very good. I don't want to charge anyone. Thats why I'm writing.

I just want to play DEFCON with many many different peaople. And I want to have a peacefull community.

Please don't missunderstand my writing. This is not about LordMarshallPhoenyx or any admins who have posted here. This is just about DEFCON and its community.

Think about new players who might get wrong impressions when they join a server and its all about "i can ban u if u want". I just wrote this because this discoussion reminds me on some things they sounds familiar.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:45 pm

A8U51V3 M0TH wrote:Basically Hound you believe that if you have "nothing to hide" then you have nothing to worry about.

YES! The only time I would even look at a "Mac Address" OR even IP's is if I was banning someone. So if you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about because no one is looking or using your IP and or Mac Address. The way I look at it, people always need something to gripe about, especially when it comes to "rights". So when it comes down to it, IF I do get this to work, I don't care if you like it, Its going to happen.

PS: I didn't want to read the 5 paragraphs you read, just read the first sentence.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 am

Ivan le Fou wrote:Sorry for the "necropost".

I am fairly new here (just a few minutes old actually) and, while I was going through different section, I found out I was quiet in the same situation LordMarshallPhoenix. So I didn't really want to create a whole new other thread.

Thing is I also have been accused of "ghosting", don't really get what that is, by NuclearCocaine and eventually kicked from sfcon servers.
More or less the same thing, a "SFCON: 2v2 Equalised 2013-12-04___17:41_-_18:38".

Apparently the video is on but can't watch it for some reason. He said I had to talk with "senator", though I have no idea who this can be since no "senator" can be found here...

I didnt ban you bro

Return to “General”