sfcon ban thread

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

sfcon ban thread

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 am

I was thinking a thread where the mods can post dcrec and explanation of why that specific person was banned would be a good idea. Also the people that are banned can come here and voice their opinion. I have been cataloging keyid's lately because theirs alot of people quitting mid game and ruining the game itself for their partner. I for one am against this and will ban people for it period! My aim is to make sfcon a server where you know no one is going to quit on you and ruin a 2 hour game for their partner for no reason. Problem I'm having is when peoples computers give out and it says they disconnected how do I know the diff? I don't so if I do ban and this is the case I will post dcrec and explain why I did it and length of ban on this thread with the recording so everyone can watch it and agree or disagree on my decision. If I banned in error then tell me I will lift it but if it continues weather you have computer issues or not play on another server please :)
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: sfcon ban thread

Postby kudayta » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 am

nuclear cocaine wrote:I was thinking a thread where the mods can post dcrec and explanation of why that specific person was banned would be a good idea. Also the people that are banned can come here and voice their opinion. I have been cataloging keyid's lately because theirs alot of people quitting mid game and ruining the game itself for their partner. I for one am against this and will ban people for it period! My aim is to make sfcon a server where you know no one is going to quit on you and ruin a 2 hour game for their partner for no reason. Problem I'm having is when peoples computers give out and it says they disconnected how do I know the diff? I don't so if I do ban and this is the case I will post dcrec and explain why I did it and length of ban on this thread with the recording so everyone can watch it and agree or disagree on my decision. If I banned in error then tell me I will lift it but if it continues weather you have computer issues or not play on another server please :)

I don't see any reason to post recs and give reasoning. You were given admin rights because your judgement is trusted. And we've already spent a lot of time on these forums deciding that our intentions are to weed out the abrasive jackasses.

My suggestion, if you see someone rage quitting, tell them the very next time you see them that they will be banned if you see them rage quit again. Then ban them on the second offense. People that are egregiously abusing other players, the mechanics of the game (rage slowing, land ships, space bombers) or cheaters should be banned immediately with no warning.

Let them come here and whine about it if they must. If their posts are out of line, I'll simply remove them.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:29 am

I don't see any reason to post recs and give reasoning. You were given admin rights because your judgement is trusted. And we've already spent a lot of time on these forums deciding that our intentions are to weed out the abrasive jackasses.

My suggestion, if you see someone rage quitting, tell them the very next time you see them that they will be banned if you see them rage quit again. Then ban them on the second offense. People that are egregiously abusing other players, the mechanics of the game (rage slowing, land ships, space bombers) or cheaters should be banned immediately with no warning.

Let them come here and whine about it if they must. If their posts are out of line, I'll simply remove them.

I guess I think this thread is a good idea because a lot of new players are playing and even after being told the consequence of their action are still confused on why they got banned. Also I guess as I get older lol I look at things a little differently and feel the need for a ban be more of a learning experience than a definite doom for a person. Who knows they could potentially be someone who enjoys the tactical challenge and brain exersize of defcon and ends up becoming legendary like mor or ace. Both of us have done every dirty thing you can do on defcon I've never ghosted I'm sure you haven't either but you know what I'm saying. lol I've seen you rage quit I've raged before thank god sharewood lfo and sfcon servers admins were lenient people lol or maybe me or you were banned early while learning defcon for doing something alot of the admins would ban people for today. Theirs a chance we wouldn't be playing anymore that could have been avoided with this very thread. I use castle bravo for an example, Years ago I remember running into him in a 2v2 he was a demo him loosing the game but I could tell he was wanting to learn. So me blackout and I think it was south america went to league and played. Mind you [DEMO] castle bravo didn't know the password to league I pmed it to him so he could play with us thinking the effort he was putting in to learn the game was enough to make me think he was gonna be one who stays and becomes decent comp and good company and mite be worth the risk to give him the league password to maybe make the game more interesting to him than it already was. Next time I seen him he bout the game and respected it like we all do today. :) I don't know about you but I really want to help this game stay alive and grow as much as it possibly can. Gain the most competition as I possibly can and if teaching people that seem interested and being a little more lenient not definite as an administrator will help do that I'm all for it :) I was also thinking if we ever attain the ability to unban someones key or pi then every admin has the ability to see why the person was banned. Maybe discuss if it's reasonable and justified with another person whom's judgement is trusted as an administrator or players. Also this thread will stop confusion between admins. For instance, theirs a brand new player named raw war. He is nub and most don't know him and I wouldn't put a rage quit past him and you seen him do it 2 times in a day you would ban him I know you would ku. lol Normally he wouldn't do that in my experience with the guy, must be one of those days everything he does goes honorably wrong lol you've been there done that, we all have. lol The problem is I'm sure the amount of effort he puts in makes me think he is gonna be a long time player in this game. So instead of being confused I know why he was banned without having to ask comment on it in a less conflicting manner knowing all the information beforehand. Once again making a definite situation for a person more of a learning experience maybe adding more players to the long term community using a different approach than we as defcon veterans have in the past. lol Can you imagine how many people all of us have run off. haha I'm not into that anymore I guess. I am way more lenient than most people since I've learned instead of thinking I can do this because I have the authority to maybe I should make my impact or reaction in every part of life more structured and maybe have a more positive impact on everything I do than I have in the past. My child plays defcon so I guess also I feel the need to be more fair and explain myself a little better as his example.. The fact is everyone deserves a second chance and through this thread everyone can see and learn from their mistakes or someone else's why not do it?
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:01 pm

nuclear cocaine wrote:

I guess I think this thread is a good idea because a lot of new players are playing and even after being told the consequence of their action are still confused on why they got banned. Also I guess as I get older lol I look at things a little differently and feel the need for a ban be more of a learning experience than a definite doom for a person. Who knows they could potentially be someone who enjoys the tactical challenge and brain exersize of defcon and ends up becoming legendary like mor or ace. Both of us have done every dirty thing you can do on defcon I've never ghosted I'm sure you haven't either but you know what I'm saying. lol I've seen you rage quit I've raged before thank god sharewood lfo and sfcon servers admins were lenient people lol or maybe me or you were banned early while learning defcon for doing something alot of the admins would ban people for today. Theirs a chance we wouldn't be playing anymore that could have been avoided with this very thread. I use castle bravo for an example, Years ago I remember running into him in a 2v2 he was a demo him loosing the game but I could tell he was wanting to learn. So me blackout and I think it was south america went to league and played. Mind you [DEMO] castle bravo didn't know the password to league I pmed it to him so he could play with us thinking the effort he was putting in to learn the game was enough to make me think he was gonna be one who stays and becomes decent comp and good company and mite be worth the risk to give him the league password to maybe make the game more interesting to him than it already was. Next time I seen him he bout the game and respected it like we all do today. :) I don't know about you but I really want to help this game stay alive and grow as much as it possibly can. Gain the most competition as I possibly can and if teaching people that seem interested and being a little more lenient not definite as an administrator will help do that I'm all for it :) I was also thinking if we ever attain the ability to unban someones key or pi then every admin has the ability to see why the person was banned. Maybe discuss if it's reasonable and justified with another person whom's judgement is trusted as an administrator or players. Also this thread will stop confusion between admins. For instance, theirs a brand new player named raw war. He is nub and most don't know him and I wouldn't put a rage quit past him and you seen him do it 2 times in a day you would ban him I know you would ku. lol Normally he wouldn't do that in my experience with the guy, must be one of those days everything he does goes honorably wrong lol you've been there done that, we all have. lol The problem is I'm sure the amount of effort he puts in makes me think he is gonna be a long time player in this game. So instead of being confused I know why he was banned without having to ask comment on it in a less conflicting manner knowing all the information beforehand. Once again making a definite situation for a person more of a learning experience maybe adding more players to the long term community using a different approach than we as defcon veterans have in the past. lol Can you imagine how many people all of us have run off. haha I'm not into that anymore I guess. I am way more lenient than most people since I've learned instead of thinking I can do this because I have the authority to maybe I should make my impact or reaction in every part of life more structured and maybe have a more positive impact on everything I do than I have in the past. My child plays defcon so I guess also I feel the need to be more fair and explain myself a little better as his example.. The fact is everyone deserves a second chance and through this thread everyone can see and learn from their mistakes or someone else's why not do it?

Ok first off. Use paragraphs man. Walls of text are difficult to read.

I get that you want to grow the game and teach people. Wonderful. You can be the good cop, I'll be the bad cop. If you want to discuss anything with me: I'm ready, willing and able. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll hash it out with you.

I agree that the ability to unban people should be granted to us, but that's up to trickser. Initially when he assigned admins to his servers, we were in the middle of an epidemic of mouth-breathing, knuckle dragging twats and there wasn't much need for an unban. That situation has clearly been resolved, and granting us more power seems appropriate now. But, as I said, it's up to trickser and I'll leave that decision in his hands.

Regarding your Raw War example: I wouldn't ban him for a rage quit, unless I saw him make a habit of it and only after I had warned him. He is clearly a smart and decent guy and there's no reason for me to suspect that he's unwilling or unable to take guidance. My wrath is reserved for those whose arrogance exceeds their abilities.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm

kudayta wrote:I agree that the ability to unban people should be granted to us

Meanwhile I am thinking alike, but it requires some work by me, so I can't grant it immediately.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:27 pm

trickser wrote:Meanwhile I am thinking alike, but it requires some work by me, so I can't grant it immediately.

You know its quit easy to keep track and have temporary bans, we use Google docs, where the admins post all the info about the player they banned like, key, IP, and nick name, and the reason why he was banned & the log file, or in your case the recoding. It takes 60 seconds to do it when you ban someone and easy to remember to un ban and keep it organized. That is my suggestion.

PS: Of course the document is secure so no one but the admins can see and edit it.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Haha I was stooooned lol but made alot of sence to me at the time lol....
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:17 pm

trickser wrote:
kudayta wrote:I agree that the ability to unban people should be granted to us

Meanwhile I am thinking alike, but it requires some work by me, so I can't grant it immediately.

Are you grepping ban entries from logs ? If yes, you may be interested - first one is for "simple" logging, second is a bit massive but works for logs where each line is started with a timestamp.

Code: Select all

awk 'match($2, /^banned./) { print "Ban",$(NF-1) }' *.txt >> /Defcon/stuff/banlist
awk 'match($2, /^unbanned./) { print "UnBan",$(NF-1) }' *.txt >> /Defcon/stuff/banlist

Code: Select all

awk 'match($2, /^banned./) { print$(NF-1) }' *.txt  | cut -d \: -f 2 | cut -c 3- > /Defcon/stuff/ban.tmp ; sed -e 's/^/Ban /' /Defcon/stuff/ban.tmp >> /Defcon/stuff/banlist; rm /Defcon/stuff/ban.tmp
awk 'match($2, /^unbanned./) { print$(NF-1) }' *.txt  | cut -d \: -f 2 | cut -c 3- > /Defcon/stuff/unban.tmp ; sed -e 's/^/UnBan /' /Defcon/stuff/unban.tmp >> /Defcon/stuff/banlist; rm /Defcon/stuff/unban.tmp
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:24 pm

opps double post
Last edited by Dantesinferno on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Thing is a ban of SFCON means jack-shit - if you have got steam you can just reinstall and voila - unbanned.

Even if you can't be bothered with that hassle there's still a myriad of other servers to play on.

All you elitist w@nkers do on SFCON 2v2 is have stupid long games with the same people so you can post your "EPIC" game reviews (YAWN) or pro-stack on noob's and then whinge about them rage-quitting. Why not keep your elitist games for private servers instead of threatening people who dont play your way.

Listen to you puffing out your chests like roosters in a chicken yard - well guess what? you only have admin rights to emulation of a server for a abandonware game! Its not exactly welding real power like my favourite lighter!

Look at that beauty - Ban me - this special lighter and a can of petrol is coming to your house for a little visit

I got a long memory Cocaine I have made you rage quit in fact i think i remember making a cartoon about it: yeah not so cock a hoop now are you??

P.S. I lam just breaking your balls a little - I hate these DEFCON GESTAPO like threads....

WHERE IS CAREBEAR??? Have you seen him?
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Thing is sdcon is the best server in defcon to date andbanning people who constantly abuse the game will show that while playing on sfcon the odds of getting a better game are increased .:)
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:30 am

kudayta wrote:My suggestion, if you see someone rage quitting, tell them the very next time you see them that they will be banned if you see them rage quit again. Then ban them on the second offense. People that are egregiously abusing other players, the mechanics of the game (rage slowing, land ships, space bombers) or cheaters should be banned immediately with no warning.

Yeah bust out the iron fist. Give them the kudaygra!

I do think that there should be a little more leniency with ragequitting. I think a lot of noobs, not knowing the etiquette of the game, just assume that it's ok to leave without comment when it's clear that they are losing. Some non-jackasses might get caught by the punishment. Maybe there could be a line about that in the SFCON welcome spiel?
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:52 am

Heres an asshole I didnt get his key before he lost the game for warclown using an alias and pwned me for it but he qui before I copied his key so please give me key so I can ban lol.

http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2013-11/2v2Random-2013-11-10_05.18.zip

Return to “General”