Curing The Disease

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Curing The Disease

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 am

Conflict Europe has been a parasite and nothing but trouble for Defcon, I am proposing we come together as a community to get rid of this humiliation and embarrassment to Defcon! There is a way to permanently get rid of him, its called a Mac Address Ban. A Mac Address is almost like DNA for humans, you can not change it, you cannot mask it. Once its banned you would have to buy a new computer in order to play on Defcon. But currently Defcon douse not hold that technology to do this. Only if we came together and developed a way to do so, we can once and for all not only get rid of this slimy disgrace to Defcon but any other trolls like him to come!
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Curing The Disease

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 am

I am asking, Burt The Turtle, Trickser, Laika, The Doctor, and anyone who is knowledgeable and able to accomplish this problem.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Re: Curing The Disease

Postby The_Doctor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 am

Only Bert can do this one, but afaik mac addresses can be spoofed.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:44 am

I changed my new net card mac adress to match of the old one in order to connect to provider (they register one mac per user). Youcan change it using standard windows routines, there is no need to even spoof it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+change+mac+adress

Finally I have no idea how you'd get IV to implement this.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:51 am

1. MAC addresses can be spoofed easily.
2. MAC addresses are only visible on the local network, if at all. No chance the server can determine it.

What can sort of work is if the client is modified to generate a fingerprint of the system (which may or may not include the MAC) and sends that with the login data. As that requires client changes, it is unlikely to happen.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:17 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:2. MAC addresses are only visible on the local network, if at all. No chance the server can determine it.

...as that requires client changes, it is unlikely to happen.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Colytic
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Disease is a good analogy when talking about defcon brats. Because it carries over how to deal with them.

You cannot ban diseases out of the world. You have to accept thier existence. You need to adapt your behavior to the threat to avoid an infection. And if your are infected and feel nausea you need countermeasures.

Tell me when and where you felt nausea and I can help you with the countermeasures, but for the hygiene, thats up to everybodys self.

(Recording with insult and I ban him and so on)
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 pm

trickser wrote:Disease is a good analogy when talking about defcon brats. Because it carries over how to deal with them.

You cannot ban diseases out of the world. You have to accept thier existence. You need to adapt your behavior to the threat to avoid an infection. And if your are infected and feel nausea you need countermeasures.

Tell me when and where you felt nausea and I can help you with the countermeasures, but for the hygiene, thats up to everybodys self.

(Recording with insult and I ban him and so on)

Sounds good!
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:52 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:1. MAC addresses can be spoofed easily.
2. MAC addresses are only visible on the local network, if at all. No chance the server can determine it.

What can sort of work is if the client is modified to generate a fingerprint of the system (which may or may not include the MAC) and sends that with the login data. As that requires client changes, it is unlikely to happen.

So sad :/
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:05 am

You don't say much but when you do its worth every penny.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 am

Dantesinferno wrote:

You don't say much but when you do its worth every penny.

Very True.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:41 am

Dear Sicilian have you seen the xbox one and play station 4 reveals + the E3 conferences?
If so please take a look at the ps4 E3 show towards the end when the CEO of Sony says no DRM for ps4 games.
Look at how the crowd reacts.
Also note that Microsoft changed their drm policies right after that bombshell.

In short - PEOPLE HATE STUPID DRM AND MAC ADDRESS / IP SERVER SHIT. PEOPLE HATE VIOLATIONS OF PRIVACY. PEOPLE HATE THE NSA AND SIMILAR ENTITIES.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:04 pm

The_Doctor wrote:Dear Sicilian have you seen the xbox one and play station 4 reveals + the E3 conferences?
If so please take a look at the ps4 E3 show towards the end when the CEO of Sony says no DRM for ps4 games.

In short - PEOPLE HATE STUPID DRM AND MAC ADDRESS / IP SERVER SHIT. PEOPLE HATE VIOLATIONS OF PRIVACY. PEOPLE HATE THE NSA AND SIMILAR ENTITIES.

But think of it this way, if you have nothing to hide, and you did nothing wrong then why should you be so paranoid and so against it? (That is for the NSA, and This subject or any other subject about "internet rights".)
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:
The_Doctor wrote:Dear Sicilian have you seen the xbox one and play station 4 reveals + the E3 conferences?

But think of it this way, if you have nothing to hide, and you did nothing wrong then why should you be so paranoid and so against it? (That is for the NSA, and This subject or any other subject about "internet rights".)

I won't think of it that way because it's an incredibly stupid way to think. The power of any government is derived from the consent of the governed. And limited rights to privacy are guaranteed by the US's and other western governments' defining and founding documents. It is the hallmark of a tyrannical government to treat its citizens with contempt.

And to further highlight the absurdity of the 'nothing to hide' argument: You wouldn't mind if I took your debit card number from your browser logs, right? Neither one of us has or will do anything wrong, so you should have nothing to hide from me right?
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:22 pm

kudayta wrote:And limited rights to privacy are guaranteed by the US's and other western governments' defining and founding documents. It is the hallmark of a tyrannical government to treat its citizens with contempt.

But see the internet was made by the U.S Military and is still considerably ran and operated by the U.S. The way I look at it there is nothing on on our Constitution that says that they can't read our emails, listen to our cell phones, and what not. More power to them if they want to waste there time listen to some very weird conversation. In fact I see that it can be very useful to not only protect our self, but be used on other country's :D

Believe it or not I am all for the NSA listening into this conversation and any other, because I have nothing to hide :D

PS: The only time I would be against it, is if they start to sell personal information. Witch I don't see likely they will get away with that so I am not really worried.

Return to “General”