Page 1 of 1

Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm
by The_Doctor
So I got a 16/9 monitor (huge 27 inch 2560 x 1440).
Before I had a 16/10 monitor (decent 22 inch 1680 x 1050).

I learned defcon and have been playing for the past months and I got used to having a black border above russia and below sa/africa.
I even learned that it's a cheat to take bombers there. When playing as eu or russia or when going above us in arctic I got used to having that black border.
I could scroll up and have my fleet in the center of the map (almost).

Now with the new huge monitor everything looks great just that the black border has gone away almost fully.
Now my fleet in arctic is always in the top part of the screen regardless of zoom.

Is there anything I can do?
Pls help if you can. This will set my game back about a months worth. I will suck more with 1 month exp I mean. It's just hard to fight with your fleet in the top part of the screen. It just feels wrong.
Thank you.

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 pm
by Laika
That's easy, install your old monitor back.

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:46 am
by Siсiliаn Ноundd
The_Doctor wrote:I even learned that it's a cheat to take bombers there.

Your slow :lol: :lol:

The_Doctor wrote:So I got a 16/9 monitor (huge 27 inch 2560 x 1440).

The_Doctor wrote:Now with the new huge monitor


Stop bragging :p I have a 84 inch XBR 4K Ultra HD LED TV (Sony) witch right now is going for 24k 8) Witch btw I play defcon on.


Laika_rus wrote:That's easy, install your old monitor back.

Yep lol

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:14 am
by The_Doctor
I was hoping for a fix in the settings, like making the world bigger or changing the zoom factor etc.

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:16 am
by The_Doctor
Laika_rus wrote:That's easy, install your old monitor back.


Once you had that resolution as a nerd you never want back.
I can have 2 intellij IDEA at the same time on the screeen with perfect space for the code.


Sicilian wrote:Stop bragging :p I have a 84 inch XBR 4K Ultra HD LED TV (Sony) witch right now is going for 24k 8) Witch btw I play defcon on.


When I was a child I used to go to the porsche website and look at the 911 and want one. But I never wrote on the forums bout it :)

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:12 pm
by Siсiliаn Ноundd
The_Doctor wrote:When I was a child I used to go to the porsche website and look at the 911 and want one. But I never wrote on the forums bout it :)

What??

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm
by bert_the_turtle
What you see is a bug in the map scaling code. No setting can fix it :( Your only way of getting the old behaviour back is to play in "taller" resolutions. Are you really only playing in 1080p right now? That would mean it's not native and you get scaling blur. Try convincing your computer and defcon that 2304x1440 is a legitimate resolution and use that. Instruct your monitor to display it pixel perfect with small black borders left and right. If your monitor does not allow it, your GPU may. How to do all of that depends on your GPU, operating system and monitor, but as I understand it, it should always be possible.

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm
by Laika
Actually, you could try editing resolution settings that are used as default ones every time you launch game. It's the first two lines of defcon/preferences.txt.

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:07 am
by Siсiliаn Ноundd
Laika_rus wrote:Actually, you could try editing resolution settings that are used as default ones every time you launch game. It's the first two lines of defcon/preferences.txt.


Hay when I bought Defcon awhile ago... I didn't have anything that was saving my preferences (when Version 1.6 came out) So I had to go and create my own preferences.txt. I just want to know why that it isn't programed or downloaded through the disk, I mean as much as I hate steam, it comes with it though. But the disk or the download don't have that for you. Just wondering why.

Is ...........Introversion poor? :?

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:34 am
by Colytic
Sicilian Hound wrote:Hay when I bought Defcon awhile ago... I didn't have anything that was saving my preferences (when Version 1.6 came out) So I had to go and create my own preferences.txt. I just want to know why that it isn't programed or downloaded through the disk, I mean as much as I hate steam, it comes with it though. But the disk or the download don't have that for you. Just wondering why.

Is ...........Introversion poor? :?


Yes, it costs $1 to bundle a preferences.txt with the game and they couldn't afford it :)

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am
by The_Doctor
bert_the_turtle wrote:What you see is a bug in the map scaling code. No setting can fix it :( Your only way of getting the old behaviour back is to play in "taller" resolutions. Are you really only playing in 1080p right now? That would mean it's not native and you get scaling blur. Try convincing your computer and defcon that 2304x1440 is a legitimate resolution and use that. Instruct your monitor to display it pixel perfect with small black borders left and right. If your monitor does not allow it, your GPU may. How to do all of that depends on your GPU, operating system and monitor, but as I understand it, it should always be possible.



10x Bert I will try when I get the time. Or second option, get used to the new style.
At any rate I just hate that all the compatible fixes you made (compatible branch in svn) never made into the game.
Why they would not accept free fix idk.

I guess I have all that I could have, since you are the guy who knows the code.
I consider this thread closed.

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:21 am
by roomftrhaver
Just to be clear, there are quite a number of projectors that can do true 4k (but are quite expensive), there are also many projectors that use pixel shifting, which is what I think you are trying to describe, although it doesn't work the way you are describing. You generally can't tell the difference between pixel shifting and native 4k in projectors. There isn't much reason to not get a 4k capable projector. Typically, you are almost never going to be able to find a projector that can perform the same as a TV for the same price. But there are a number of other benefits of projectors, like screen size, not having light/radiation shined directly at you, etc. For me, those benefits far outweigh any negatives (including having to buy new lamps, which I just bought my fourth lamp for my Panasonic AE8000u, going on 7 years now that I have had it).