Easy suggestion for CPU-only "Joshua" game/scrnsav

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:56 pm

I would if I didn't always have my computer doing stuff while I was away.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 pm

Meh, for a computer monitor (or TV etc.) it is more econimical to keep it on always than turning it off each night etcand turning it back on.
Serathii
level2
level2

Postby Serathii » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:53 pm

Where'd you hear that?! :shock:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:02 pm

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/admin/estates/work.php wrote:STATEMENT: Its better to leave a monitor on because continually turning them on and off uses more energy

CONCLUSION: FALSE

REASON: A PC monitor only consumes one seconds energy worth of running time when being started up or closed down. As monitors account for 70% of the PCs energy use, its always better to turn them off when at lunch or at meetings

SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Serathii wrote:Where'd you hear that?! :shock:

:oops:

Erm woops. My dad told me that a long time ago, although he often told me a lot of stuff which sounds like it could be true, but is in fact BS.

So yer.. blame my dad....
Serathii
level2
level2

Postby Serathii » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 am

It does take juice to boot, but it's a fallacy that it's more efficient to leave it on. The best way is to turn it off, then unplug it from the wall, saving a ton of power.

As far as moniters go: they take little or no juice when off, so just click the little button.

HOWEVER: it is better for you computer if you leave it on 24/7, because it's not good to have a million tiny pieces cooling and reheating a lot.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:09 am

Serathii wrote:HOWEVER: it is better for you computer if you leave it on 24/7, because it's not good to have a million tiny pieces cooling and reheating a lot.

That's what my physics teacher told me but according to that website I found that too is a fallacy.

Regularly turning a PC off not only saves energy but also extends the machines life due to a reduction in mechanical wear. Manufactures now recommend that users turn off their machines when not being used

I would have thought there was more mechanical wear starting and stopping the machine, mainly in the hard drive.

Dimension Jump
level1
level1

Postby Dimension Jump » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:03 am

Or perhaps you could just do the world a favour and turn your monitor off.

Well I for one, turn the monitor off if I leave the room. But when I'm in the room I like to leave it on so that I know if IMs or Email are incomming. At the same time, I may not actually want to use the PC so running a screen saver is a good compromise. It also provides a form of "art" too. Who wants to stare at a motionless painting when you could watch an all out war being played on your monitor? =D
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Was that inspired by Antitrust?

Dimension Jump
level1
level1

Postby Dimension Jump » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:04 pm

No it wasn't but thanks for reminding me that I do actually have that movie on DVD somewhere =D It's a UK version which funnily enough doesn't display the title unless you squint at the edges where it is displayed in very tiny writing. Bizzare (or however you spell that).

In fact, is there a spell checker for this forum? I can't seem to locate one.
Serathii
level2
level2

Postby Serathii » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:57 pm

Leaving metal hot does wear it out, but starting and stopping the little motors that power the mechanical portion of your computer wears them out more than leaving them on. The fans and disks will wear out faster if the computer is turned on and off constantly. The parts of the computer that do not have an electromagnetic motor do not get worn out as much from getting turned on and off.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Serathii wrote:Leaving metal hot does wear it out, but starting and stopping the little motors that power the mechanical portion of your computer wears them out more than leaving them on. The fans and disks will wear out faster if the computer is turned on and off constantly. The parts of the computer that do not have an electromagnetic motor do not get worn out as much from getting turned on and off.

Thus being I can't wait for the day where we have solid state storage.

NeoThermic
Hairy
level1
level1

Postby Hairy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 pm

Dimension Jump wrote:No it wasn't but thanks for reminding me that I do actually have that movie on DVD somewhere =D It's a UK version which funnily enough doesn't display the title unless you squint at the edges where it is displayed in very tiny writing. Bizzare (or however you spell that).

In fact, is there a spell checker for this forum? I can't seem to locate one.

Open another tab in your browser, go to google and type in the word. It'll offer you a correction if you misspelled it.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:36 pm

Good call, it was only 3 months late. :P

AliMente
level1
level1

Postby AliMente » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:06 pm

Hey, at least he cares. And who knows, perhaps dimension checks this page every day, waiting for an answer...
Show me your nuke and I tell you who you are

Return to “General”