Easy suggestion for CPU-only "Joshua" game/scrnsav

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

pez
level0

Easy suggestion for CPU-only "Joshua" game/scrnsav

Postby pez » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:14 pm

I hope there's an option for a CPU-only mode without any humans. This would be perfect for a Wargames screensaver, provided that the screen occasionally scrolled around a bit to prevent burn-in from a stationary map.

I imagine that including a CPU-only option would not be difficult at all to add, considering that a single-player game already has 5 CPU opponents.
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:32 am

the last case of screen burn i witnessed was an ancient cash machine monotone screen, do people even suffer from this anymore?
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:51 am

Nah, screen burn is virtually non-existent anymore. My old CRT ran the same screen for a week when I was away and it was fine.

Roasting hot, but fine.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:58 pm

vooshy wrote:the last case of screen burn i witnessed was an ancient cash machine monotone screen, do people even suffer from this anymore?

Its a problem in some of the new plasma TVs (much to the detriment of many console gamers), but is generally not a problem with modern CRTs or LCDs, though LCDs are still prone to the problem from time to time.

xander
practisevoodoo
level0

Postby practisevoodoo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:44 am

The screensaver is a nice idea I'd definately like one and if the great introversion gods are listening I'd probably be willing to pay a couple of quid for it (although if someone wants to make one for free......).
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Screensavers are literally just .exe files renamed to have .scr at the end. Although they need to load quickly and run smoothly, even on lower end PCs, they can practicly do anything you want them to.

Could scrap out all of the player code, network code, menu code, and leave it with nothing but the PC AI, graphics, and the game, and add in the code to close it on activity. Add some code to randomise the difficulty of the AI, and the external settings like sound muting, number of AI, difficulty settings (range, or stuff) and other stuff to change it, and voila! Your own Defcon screensaver! ;)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:42 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Could scrap out all of the player code, network code, menu code, and leave it with nothing but the PC AI, graphics, and the game, and add in the code to close it on activity. Add some code to randomise the difficulty of the AI, and the external settings like sound muting, number of AI, difficulty settings (range, or stuff) and other stuff to change it, and voila! Your own Defcon screensaver! ;)

Oh! Is that all you have to do? :p
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
benjiwenjifoofoo
level0

Postby benjiwenjifoofoo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:02 am

you know, i don't think it would be all that hard, and it would look wicked cool to have a global thermonuclear war happening on your screen while you're away.

as far as burn in goes, i doube it would be an issue, but if it is, you could just toggle something in the settings to get it to move slightly (say,the entire map translated by 1 pixel in a random direction every 10 seconds?)
falcon9xr
level0

Postby falcon9xr » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:23 am

so ummm. are there plans in the works to do this? perhaps some command line toggles that can set the number of AI players and lose the unnecessary functions?
reforged
level1
level1

Postby reforged » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:08 am

i have ethical doubts, imagine mankind dieing, and no one is watching,
would that be ...waste :P
Soldats
level0

Postby Soldats » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:09 am

dude a global thermonuclear war playing out everysecond of the day on my home PC? That would be like a dream come true.....
la_Rapiere
level1
level1

Postby la_Rapiere » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:56 pm

Screen burn in should be easily solved. Once the war completes, the nukes set the whole screen to white for 2 seconds, then it goes black for 2 seconds, then reset and start again.

Alternately, you could have it 'zoom in' to each nuke hit...

-Rapiere
Bolka
level2
level2

Postby Bolka » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:42 am

I really like the screen saver idea, it could look really good.
thaimodz
level1
level1

Postby thaimodz » Sat May 13, 2006 3:29 pm

Very great idea! I would love having a global crisis on my desktop whenever I'm away!
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat May 13, 2006 9:36 pm

I'd like it if a screensaver mode could be made.

In such a mode, the speed would have to be set at somewhere around 57600x Real Time (approximately two complete games playing out every second)
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.

Return to “General”