A simple and a major suggestion

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

njaakkola
level0

A simple and a major suggestion

Postby njaakkola » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 am

...what a brilliant idea, and a great game this seems to be -- this has to be the most fun since Theatre Europe!

Now, I had two suggestions as to features that I would like to see. One should hopefully be pretty straightforward and could be implemented as an option; the other one, well, possibly for Defcon 2?

- the 'rumbles' of distant nukes could be optionally delayed to account for the speed of sound through Earth - some 7 km/s. This would mean that the rumbles would probably have delays of some minutes, assuming distances of hundreds to thousands of km's from ground zero to the underground HQ.

- Ideally, Defcon would take into account the fact that the Earth is a sphere. Should the the good old cold war have ever ignited, US and Soviet missiles would have crossed paths somewhere over the North Pole. How to implement this easily, though?

You could have a rotating globe (think Xcom/UFO: Enemy Unknown), or instead (and I like this idea more) several map displays, the traditional (Plate carree?) projection and two polar projections, one for each hemisphere? With large monitors, all could be displayed simultaneously for that Wargames atmosphere...?

Anyway, I'll definitely be looking forward to the game being finished.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Re: A simple and a major suggestion

Postby elDiablo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:04 am

njaakkola wrote: - the 'rumbles' of distant nukes could be optionally delayed to account for the speed of sound through Earth - some 7 km/s. This would mean that the rumbles would probably have delays of some minutes, assuming distances of hundreds to thousands of km's from ground zero to the underground HQ...

This might be quite nice, but then, you would see the explosion on screen, and then the sounds would be disjointed from the effects, especially at a few minutes apart! Maybe a small selay, like 1 or 2 seconds would be more appropriate for a game :)

- Ideally, Defcon would take into account the fact that the Earth is a sphere. Should the the good old cold war have ever ignited, US and Soviet missiles would have crossed paths somewhere over the North Pole. How to implement this easily, though?

You could have a rotating globe [...]

This would be cool, however, it would probably need the entire engine of Defcon to be recoded. Looking at it now, its a flat, 2D map, so making it 3D would require a LOT of time and effort (I woulda thought). Still, sounds good.

...With large monitors, all could be displayed simultaneously for that Wargames atmosphere...?

Thats a small problem, seeing as not everyone can afford lots of large monitors, making the game's target audience quite small. So not a lot of money for Iv. I mean, on a game box, if you saw "Minimum requirements: 2 19" screens. Recommended: 4 30" screens", would you (well, most people) even think of looking twice at it? I like the idea of a 3D world better, but again, recoding.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
njaakkola
level0

Postby njaakkola » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:47 am

elDiablo wrote:This might be quite nice, but then, you would see the explosion on screen, and then the sounds would be disjointed from the effects, especially at a few minutes apart! Maybe a small selay, like 1 or 2 seconds would be more appropriate for a game :)

I know, which is why realistic delay should be an option only for purists.

Myself, I would love the cold detachment of neon signals on the screen indicating that the Eastern Seaboard has just been fused into glass; then, ten minutes later (game time), a series of barely audible, ghost-like low rumbles echoing, reminding you of what has really just happened...

Mind you, assuming the endgame often collapses in massive exchanges, you probably wouldn't bother to hang around to hear the final symphony?

elDiablo wrote:
...With large monitors, all could be displayed simultaneously for that Wargames atmosphere...?

Thats a small problem, seeing as not everyone can afford lots of large monitors (...)

Again, optional stuff. I'm using a 15" CRT currently, and I'd have to resort to switching between the different views. But with a single 19" screen, you should be able to fit three maps on simultaneously?

Agreed, though, this may be too fundamental a change to implement so far into development.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:13 am

Also, IV dont seem likely to do seqeuls, certainly not with Uplink, which is self evident.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
kneecaps
level1
level1

Postby kneecaps » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:05 pm

I think requests for things like sound effects, 3D globes etc have missed what I feel to be the point of defcon.

Its a game of global thermonuclear war! The graphics are simply a vehicle, 2d, 3d blah blah blah matters not.

I think in fact too much glitz and SFX would heavily detract from the gameplay.

How many games have come out in recent years with mind bogglingly good graphics but the gameplay has been poor.

Lets not get hung up on fancy GFX.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
njaakkola
level0

Postby njaakkola » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:55 pm

kneecaps wrote:I think requests for things like sound effects, 3D globes etc have missed what I feel to be the point of defcon.

Its a game of global thermonuclear war! The graphics are simply a vehicle, 2d, 3d blah blah blah matters not.

Indeed, I'm not advocating 3D spinning globes (if I was above, heck, I plead temporary insanity). The screenshots look just right at the moment!

I'm maybe slightly finicky as far nuclear annihilation is concerned, its a pet obsession on mine. Even if the gameplay is (superficially) simple, it's just too cool a subject to give an 'arcade' feel! I'm all for simple gameplay, but creating an authentic atmosphere never hurts a game. Little hardcore details for those hard of core...

Re the exchange of missiles across polar regions -- must be being Finnish -- having lived next to Soviet Union, the missiles flying overhead would've provided us with one last nighttime spectacle...
Supreme Soviet
level1
level1

Postby Supreme Soviet » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:54 pm

njaakkola wrote:

You could have a rotating globe

NO!! Then people will have to have to have a freakin super-computer to even run tha damn thing!(like with superpower 2)
practisevoodoo
level0

Postby practisevoodoo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:52 am

freakin supercomputer? just how bad is your computer? my mp3 player can display a rotating globe
idrinkpaint
level0

Postby idrinkpaint » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:09 am

If rotating globes and a 3D UI is your thing, check MAD - Global Thermonuclear Warfare out by the company Small Rockets. I tried it by suggestion from somebody here, and it's not bad for a few hours fun.

The problem with a 3D interface - in this case- is the inability to see what's happening on the other side of the planet! If the idea of the game is to simulate a superpower commanding role, do you think they would fart around with a fancy graphical engine at the cost of functionality?

Also, I don't think you'd stand a chance crushing Kieron Gillen's Wargames dream...
MrDictionary
level2
level2

Postby MrDictionary » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:10 am

Happiness is a screen called Geoscape.
Unofficial official Introversion Devil's Advocate.
Rynthas
level1
level1

Postby Rynthas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:32 am

Ooo. I'm all for the option to have realistic rumble delay. I, for one, would be willing to sit in my nicely chilled, dark apartment at 3 AM, reviewing the 'projected casualty' (end game scoring) data after the endgame while waiting for the final deluge of rumbles. Hooray for cheap underground bunker simulation.
Krytoss
level1
level1

Postby Krytoss » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 am

what's realistic isn't neccesarily what's good, something lost on some gamers (and developers, though i have full confidence in IV).
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:18 pm

yes yes. good call krytoss
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:39 am

idrinkpaint wrote:The problem with a 3D interface - in this case- is the inability to see what's happening on the other side of the planet! If the idea of the game is to simulate a superpower commanding role, do you think they would fart around with a fancy graphical engine at the cost of functionality?

Unfortunately yes but im very sceptical of government and super powers.
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:59 am

well it would be a neato addin if you could switch between globe and map
and even better if there was a neato transition for it :D

Return to “General”