Fluffy little, pink teddybears with sugar on top;-)

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Fluffy little, pink teddybears with sugar on top;-)

Postby Radiant Caligula » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:17 pm

Will this be a third?

I still think IV should focus more on pleasing the players (consumers actually) than their own coding testicles.

How about finally including some of the million requests made on this site instead of spending week after week coding a cross platform version that no one will play?

Boggles me. (on second thought it doesn't and all this explains why IV is such a small company...)
Last edited by Radiant Caligula on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
zkl
level2
level2
Location: (zkl aka bonsai), Doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby zkl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:25 pm

be a good emperor and play the new smooth super beta patch against me ;)
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=4290
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:30 pm

Im not good in any sense, especially not a good Emperor. I have the patch, yes. Play like now?

lemme get sum food first. (grapes, 400 slaughtered politicians and 50 steam cooked babies)
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:32 pm

Radiant, stop it already. Stop acting as an asshole. With 1.41beta it is OK now...

PS. I was pissed with 1.4 too and still think IV screwed that one up, but community should help them with that issue, esp. hardcore players, such as you and (possibly) me...
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:35 pm

One of the few threads with an actual issue/question in it, and it gets locked. There won't be an answer anyways. Just don't get too upset about it, RC. Who knows, santa might have something in store for us.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Yes I have seen it Neo. But my (2nd) locked post still v

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:How about finally including some of the million requests made on this site instead of spending week after week coding a cross platform version that no one will play?

Without sales figures, you're not in a position to postulate on what is plaid or not. I can assure you that there is a market for IV's games in the Mac and Linux communities, else IV wouldn't bother porting.

As for the requests, I've talked to Chris about some of them, and they would require a major re haul in the way network games are done. They are not a quick-fix item, and they are not something that could be done in a small amount of time.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:How about finally including some of the million requests made on this site instead of spending week after week coding a cross platform version that no one will play?

As a member of the Mac community, and one of the Mac beta testers, I can assure you that there are people playing the Mac version.

xander
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:04 pm

NeoThermic wrote:

Without sales figures, you're not in a position to postulate on what is plaid or not. I can assure you that there is a market for IV's games in the Mac and Linux communities, else IV wouldn't bother porting.

As for the requests, I've talked to Chris about some of them, and they would require a major re haul in the way network games are done. They are not a quick-fix item, and they are not something that could be done in a small amount of time.

NeoThermic

I'm just guessing from how many are playing the PC version that Mac/Linux isnt exactly a whopping market. I think their best money would be spent on marketing before jumping to other (less populated) platforms.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:18 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:I'm just guessing from how many are playing the PC version that Mac/Linux isnt exactly a whopping market. I think their best money would be spent on marketing before jumping to other (less populated) platforms.

You know, Radiant Caligula, there are thousands of Mac and Linux users that have been waiting since October for a release for our platforms. We have waited through 3 patches to get our version. We have been very patient. Perhaps you could learn some of that patience...

xander
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:27 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:
Who plays this on Mac (or Linux?????????) anyway. Have you done any research?

Yes, we have done lots of research. Have you? I can confidently say that both Uplink and Darwinia have enjoyed excellent sales on the Mac, as I know the exact sales figures and you do not. I'm certain Defcon will also do very well. Right now we have around 60 game servers running at any one time. Before we launched the mac version we had 20 - 30 game servers running max at any one time. Where do you think those extra game servers came from?

Radiant Caligula wrote:
...sadly the community is steadily shrinking and as I see it, Defcon was already on its deathbed before IV decides to make a cross platform edition for a game no one is playing.

You need to think about the logic of your argument better. Firstly you complain the community is shrinking, and then you complain at us for launching Defcon on a new platform. Where do you think you get new players from? You keep saying "Marketting" without any understanding of what you mean - we made a massive push of Defcon onto PC when we launched it, and will never be able to manage the same sized push again because Defcon is now old news. In order to bring in new players we have to push into new markets and new platforms.

We have just sent 50,000 copies of Defcon into the US retail market. We have another massive retail launch coming in Europe soon to be announced. We are brining new players to the game all the time - and that involves other platforms and new groups of people.

The real problem here is that the new 1.4 patch has some serious performance problems, and for that we are genuinely sorry. We are working flat out and will release a patch as soon as its ready, for PC AND Mac. Companies make mistakes sometimes and we admit this is one of them for us. Feel free to help us test any future patches - we always run open Betas of our new PC patches.
zkl
level2
level2
Location: (zkl aka bonsai), Doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby zkl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 pm

defcon boxes in eu supermarkets are great news :)
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Chris, you ROCK.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Radiant Caligula, you've dug yourself a rather large hole, and have had all your so called points destroyed, plus two topics locked. At this point it would be wise for you to give up and possibly reconsider before posting on here again, if ever.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:20 pm

PWND
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:21 pm

ouch...

Return to “General”