General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Xocrates
level5
level5

Defcon School - Everybody Learns!

Postby Xocrates » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:58 pm

DISCLAIMER:

Are you happy simply because you didn't had a negative score?

Do you still believe Africa sucks?

Are mixed fleets such an efficient technique?

Do you still launch bombers as close to the target as possible so they get there faster?

And do you still send them one at a time?

Then Defcon School is for you! Sign up and learn how to properly conduct mass genocide.

---

Have you mastered the arts of nuclear warfare?

Did you in your last game get second place, though you weren't even in the room?

Can you defeat entire continents with one bomber?

Wish there was someone out there able to face you?

Maybe there might! Join the teaching staff of Defcon School and help turn the Newbs into Pros!

Get the challenge back!

---

Okay, as you may or may not know, it has been suggested in another thread that a Defcon pratical school to be created. Basically we would have experienced player scheduling games with new players or players intending to improve their skills.

So, right now I wanted to know how much interest in this there currently is.

Any amount of players is free to sign up and we'll do our best to serve their needs.

Obviously, the school would also have the access to some of the best theoretical support (namely the upcoming Ace's video guides, the crossing the Bering straight videos and other stuff from)

---

Teaching Staff:

Xocrates
Radiant caligula
Feud
Ace Rimmer (Adjunct Professor)
ynbniar
Hank Scorpio

Students:

Wasgood
church
Orzelius
luke02
Ikarus
world idiot
Nilocy
glowsticky
therealhatikva
deathtoyou
skull13
freeloader
Angel of Death

Scheduled games:

Guides:

Strategic Air Command

Basic tips

Bomber runs

Target priority (read following posts also)

Crossing the Bering Strait

Other:

Student Game log (includes examples)

Hamachi (Use to chat with teachers and students)

email
Last edited by Xocrates on Thu May 31, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm

I'd very like to be a student I love Defcon but frankly suck at it.
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:15 pm

joining the administration! And as you know, an Emperor cant be anything less than headmaster. Hope y'all can cope with that (you just have to - if you love your head...)

JK!

I'd be glad to be of assistance.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:32 pm

While I'm not one to read much more than a few sentences at a time (unless necessary), I'm sure I'll be reading this thread simply to help out with making my video series. And to use it against Radiant :wink:

Edit: See, I didn't even read all of the first post before I replied. Feel free to use any of my video material. Suggestions for the series to help this school along would be ok as well.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:42 pm

I want someone to teach me or produce a video of these 3 situations:

1. Defending Russia from 24 subs and 80 bombers coming from the west side of India when Africa and Asia are allied.
2. Defending Europe from a 12 sub / 40 bomber attack from Russia
3. Being the first of Russia/Europe/Asia to hit Cairo as soon as possible after Defcon 1.

If your school can teach these tactics, consider me signed up as a student. :D
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:48 pm

roflamingo wrote:I want someone to teach me or produce a video of these 3 situations:

1. Defending Russia from 24 subs and 80 bombers coming from the west side of India when Africa and Asia are allied.
3. Being the first of Russia/Europe/Asia to hit Cairo as soon as possible after Defcon 1.

1. Easy, you don't. Cities aren't that important anyway.
2. Easy, you do the same to Russia just a little sooner.
3. Easy, don't wait until Defcon 1 to target it.

:wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:19 pm

If there are any new players wanting some advice, I would be happy to help out. I"m not that great at the game, but I think I could give a couple pointers. Sign me up!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
roflamingo wrote:I want someone to teach me or produce a video of these 3 situations:

1. Easy, you don't. Cities aren't that important anyway.
2. Easy, you do the same to Russia just a little sooner.
3. Easy, don't wait until Defcon 1 to target it.

Hey! You're not part of the teaching staff, what makes you think you can go around teaching people? :evil:

By the way, want to join the staff? I could also set you as Assistant if you're willing to produce the videos for the school.

Additionally, I would like you guys to give suggestions of general topics, strategies and lessons that might be taught. I'll post some ideas later on, but would like to hear more ideas (heck, I could use some lessons on some advanced topics myself).

Oh and rofl, if you want we can set a practical lesson on those topics :wink:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Xocrates wrote:Hey! You're not part of the teaching staff, what makes you think you can go around teaching people? :evil:

Who me?

Xocrates wrote:By the way, want to join the staff? I could also set you as Assistant if you're willing to produce the videos for the school.

How about being an Adjunct Professor (as opposed to Assistant)? I don't mind putting the videos together based on what's needed here.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:28 pm

Rule nr 1: Do not defend.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Weps wrote:

Rule nr 1: Do not defend.

I spectated on a game yesterday where you were Africa Weps. You launched your silos early against USSR then followed up with bombers runs, while at the same time positioning your fleet at the Falklands, before laying waste to SA.

SA was inexperienced and thought it was Christmas pounding Africa, when in fact it was pointless.

Thing is...do you defend your silos...in this game you launched early so couldn't care less, but scenario 2 above, massive USSR attack on EU, in my experience, means you loose all your silos before they can get any missiles away.

:?:
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:52 pm

I'd like to be a student as well, I am by no means a newbie, but you can never stop learning. Every tactic i know i taught myself and i'd like to see what some of the greats have thought up.

even i can comment on that. Simply get better at naval combat and controlling the skies. don't allow your opponent those options in the first place.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Yes, silo's. In fact, nukes are what you need to protect. So that's what I will try to do. I've tried several silo arrangements (a few days ago actually) and they confirm what I already 'knew'. It doest matter how you place them, nor where. A good launch will always(* see below) hit the major cities.

If I can see a silo I will try to wreck it, unless it isn't in my way. Now, if my silo's are exposed or detected (and I can expect an attack on them) I will launch 'm.

Use 'm or lose 'm.

- Hide your silos. Don't place them in visible range of enemy radars (or ships) and dont place them in enemy fighter flight range. The longer they stay hidden the better.

- Keep silos together. (Because you can then group nukes easily, also, you only need to guard one place and it saves a few radars)

- Place silos such (if possible) to get a clear launch trajectory.

- Avoid fleet battles if possible. Especially when you're outnumbered or are easily flanked.

(* always, well, it's random hits, so it might just as well be that you won't anything. But I've hardly seen that happen.)
TheGeno
level0

Postby TheGeno » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:28 pm

I'm not that good, but I can offer navy tactics

Lesson 1: Don't be afraid to experiment with your formations. Lots of people like doing the default 6 ship fleet, but if you can micromanage lots of ships fast and organized with the orders tool, then you can do a lot of fun formations

ynbniar
level5
level5

Wise words...

Postby ynbniar » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Weps wrote:Yes, silo's. In fact, nukes are what you need to protect. So that's what I will try to do. I've tried several silo arrangements (a few days ago actually) and they confirm what I already 'knew'. It doest matter how you place them, nor where. A good launch will always(* see below) hit the major cities.

If I can see a silo I will try to wreck it, unless it isn't in my way. Now, if my silo's are exposed or detected (and I can expect an attack on them) I will launch 'm.

Use 'm or lose 'm.

- Hide your silos. Don't place them in visible range of enemy radars (or ships) and dont place them in enemy fighter flight range. The longer they stay hidden the better.

- Keep silos together. (Because you can then group nukes easily, also, you only need to guard one place and it saves a few radars)

- Place silos such (if possible) to get a clear launch trajectory.

- Avoid fleet battles if possible. Especially when you're outnumbered or are easily flanked.

(* always, well, it's random hits, so it might just as well be that you won't anything. But I've hardly seen that happen.)

Cheers Weps...not many DefConers would reveal their tactical thinking like this...it can only benefit the community I think.

:)

Return to “General”