DEFCON42 DEFCON ladder - Update (v1.2) - Mail notifications!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 14, 2007 7:37 pm

After a week of hard coding and bug-fixing, I have managed to put the challenge function to work. People can now challenge each other through the system, and submit the match afterwards.

During the testing, I found a lot of bugs in my previous code (the system in it's previous state) making it impossible to actually both submit and confirm a match. I'm dumbfounded, but I also fear I haven't fixed everything. Please contact me immediately if you experience a problem.

If the page accuses you of hacking, please note down the exact sentence. I used quite some forms of saying 'Hacking attempt.', and if you can tell me which message you got, I can look it up in my code.

I've also written a miniscule script which I can use to fool the server into thinking I'm logged in as someone else. I can check if it has to do with your account that way, and that will save me a lot of hassling. If something does occur at your computer but not at mine, we know my scripts aren't wrong.

I've also updated the 'DEFCON42 for Dummies' page, a guide to the system. It explains the basic features of the challenge function, so it should get you along.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon May 14, 2007 7:49 pm

hey jelco.

How about joining KOTH and your system?

I could post a link to your ladder and KOTH could have an own group?
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Err...who the hell is KOTH?

Sorry if I sound arrogant, but I'm a little tired and wired right now...

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Masaq
level2
level2

Postby Masaq » Mon May 14, 2007 8:45 pm

KOTH is the Defcon 1v1 King of the Hill that Radiant Calligula drew up. Viewable currently only via the forums, here:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=4449

Linking the two would be a good way of your league table gaining lots of matches played, and KoTH would gain a nice visible front-end for the match history etc.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 14, 2007 8:59 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. There's no real trouble in everyone joining DEFCON42. Please be a little specific in what you mean. I like the idea, though.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Just a short notice about a major update to DEFCON42. The system now sends out mails every time a challenge or match is posted, so people know when they have been challenged, when they have to confirm a match, and the issuers know when someone accepts, decline, confirms or reports a challenge or match. I wanted to add this for a long time, but was afraid of messing up with the mail() function in PHP. It turned out to be fine, but I have been under quite some stress to finish this before the upcoming weekend.

The other function I have improved is the duplicate check on matches. Whenever someone posts a match that is identical to an already submitted match, the system locks and doesn't submit the match. Although this may sound simple, it is quite complicated to add something like this. I already added this function a few months ago, but the problem with that version was, you couldn't submit two matches played by the same gamers, no matter what scores they had. I found the problem in adding two apastrophes around the name of a variable, practically turning the name of a variable into a value. One of the most stupid mistakes I've made in my life, I guess...

I hope this gets people willing to use the system a little more, because it's pretty dead nowadays.

Enjoy the game!

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “General”