Avenged
level2
level2

DEFCON Comes to North America

Postby Avenged » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:27 pm

I found this article on wargamer.com

"Press Release : DEFCON Comes to North America
Posted by Sean Drummy @ 11:49 EST

Introversion licenses publisher Encore to bring the world-endingly fun title to North America.

Introversion Software announced today that it has signed a deal with U.S publisher, Encore, to grant them the exclusive North American retail rights to their latest global nuclear war title, DEFCON. (review)

Encore placed an initial order for 50,000 units of the DEFCON retail box for the retail market, demonstrating their confidence that the game will be well received by the US market.

Here's the DL on DEFCON:
DEFCON is an impressive online, multiplayer strategy game that simulates the devastation of global thermonuclear war. The game, inspired by the 1983 cult-classic film, War Games, superbly evokes the tension, paranoia and suspicion surrounding the Cold War era. It was described by UK PC Gamer as ‘pure, deep utterly unconscionable fun” and given their highest honour, the 5-Star Must Buy rating.
DEFCON is now available in North American retail outlets for $29.99. Get more information from the delightfully titled official website, Everybody-Dies.com. "

So does this mean potentially alot more people will be online from the US?
I thought the game was released globally first time round? Or is it just another publisher they are distributing through? Either way i cant find any info on this forum on this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retail here we come and all those new victims, er players...

Proof
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:58 pm

I'd like to state for the record that I've had nothing to do with the packaging, manual or anything else related to that version.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:07 pm

Interesting timing...
Ambrosia Software, as of April 3rd wrote:The final candidate release should be coming out at the end of the week. For now we're making some final bug fixes, and doing administrative work on the website, user manual, etc.

In regards to the Mac version

Edit: This makes me want to play.

*goes home 5 min walk starts Defcon*
CortexIndustries
level0

Postby CortexIndustries » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 pm

PREPARE FOR DESTRUCTION OF INTROVERSION FORUMS BY WHINY TEENAGE BRATS WITH NO MANNERS, er i mean... "new players"
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:59 pm

CortexIndustries wrote:PREPARE FOR DESTRUCTION OF INTROVERSION FORUMS BY WHINY TEENAGE BRATS WITH NO MANNERS, er i mean...Americans

Fix'd

Will my interminable prejudice ever end? No, never.
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:14 am

BrianBlessed wrote:
CortexIndustries wrote:PREPARE FOR DESTRUCTION OF INTROVERSION FORUMS BY WHINY TEENAGE BRATS WITH NO MANNERS, er i mean...Americans

Fix'd

Will my interminable prejudice ever end? No, never.

Wouldn't be very interminable if it did.

Also, I thought the boxed copy of DefCon I saw on the shelves at a local game shop to be an exceptionally odd sight.

Until I realized I was in GameStop, and they'll buy anything from anyone to put on their shelves as "almost new".
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:39 am

MoonHill wrote:
BrianBlessed wrote:
CortexIndustries wrote:PREPARE FOR DESTRUCTION OF WHINY TEENAGE BRATS WITH NO MANNERS, er i mean...Americans IN INTROVERSION FORUMS BY xander

Fix'd

Will my interminable yet somehow humorous prejudice ever end? No, never.

Wouldn't be very interminable if it did.

Also, I thought the boxed copy of DefCon I saw on the shelves at a local game shop to be an exceptionally odd sight.

Until I realized I was in GameStop, and they'll buy anything from anyone to put on their shelves as "almost new".

Now it's Fix'd.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:37 am

Nutter wrote:I'd like to state for the record that I've had nothing to do with the packaging, manual or anything else related to that version.

Argh, yes. Why the tagline? Do Americans require one for everything? First it was Uplink: Hacker Elite, and now it's Defcon: Global Nuclear Domination Game.

*sigh*

NeoThermic
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:03 am

NeoThermic wrote:
Nutter wrote:I'd like to state for the record that I've had nothing to do with the packaging, manual or anything else related to that version.

Argh, yes. Why the tagline? Do Americans require one for everything? First it was Uplink: Hacker Elite, and now it's Defcon: Global Nuclear Domination Game.

*sigh*

NeoThermic

Most likely it's because "everybody dies" wouldn't go over nicely. But yes, tag lines galore!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:24 am

System Requirements wrote:Windows® 98/ME/2000 SP4/XP (Home & Pro) SP2/Vista, Pentium® III 600 MHz processor or higher, 128 MB RAM, 60 MB free hard-disk space, 8X CD-ROM drive or faster, DirectX® 8.1 or later compatible 3D hardware accelerated video card with 32 MB of video RAM, DirectX 8.1 or later compatible 16-bit sound card, Keyboard and mouse, Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, internet access required for multiplayer games.

Why do we need Internet Explorer?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:25 am

shinygerbil wrote:Why do we need Internet Explorer?

So they can add a shortcut the the distributor's IE6-compatible website at install, most likely.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:26 am

NeoThermic wrote:

*sigh*

NeoThermic

The original box version was apparently not "American enough", thats all I know. But DEFCON already had a tagline: Everybody dies
CortexIndustries
level0

Postby CortexIndustries » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 am

Thats a little too grim for those sissy americans. :twisted:
lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:44 pm

CortexIndustries wrote:Thats a little too grim for those sissy americans. :twisted:

We are sissy about a lot of things.

But whomever said that about the game cover is simply wrong. I think they just wanted to flex their distributive muscles.

Return to “General”