Ace's (potential) Defcon Video Tuturial

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Ace's (potential) Defcon Video Tuturial

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:20 pm

I've been thinking about this. I watch those "do-it-yourself" guides like on CNET all the time and figured that I'd share my strategies, tips, and tricks in the same manner (at some point eventually). However, I'm trying to determine the best way to record Defcon. I've used the demo version of Fraps with NFS Most Wanted, but I'd want the full version if I was to go the screen capture software route. I'm not sure if $37 is worth it.

I've been trying to see if I could use my camcorder (Cannon Elura 100), but only had mediocre results. I've played around with different setting and it seems that using the clone mode (ATI 9600xt AIW) at 768 x 480 with the camera as the primary display yields the best results so far. It's just not very impressive on the monitor played back later. Looks crisp and clear on the flip out LCD screen though! Heh, miniature global thermonuclear war.

I even pulled out the old VCR, but d'oh! no S-Video. My video card has a second VGA, a composite video in/out, and S-Video in/out. The camcorder only has a A/V jack that is composite.

Anybody got any advice? Anybody interested in a video guide?

See my last test here. I was just trying to get an idea of the quality and clarity.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Ace's (potential) Defcon Video Tuturial

Postby Montyphy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Excellent idea.

Ace Rimmer wrote:See my last test here. I was just trying to get an idea of the quality and clarity.

Not too shabby. It's definitely watchable
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:13 pm

I don't suppose you happen to have a video capture card? I've always wondered if it were possibly to get them to record themselves, by plugging the output into the input.

But, same as Montyphy, that vid's certainly watchable, especially considering how harsh the compression is on that sort of site.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:44 pm

Well, my graphics card can record from one source whilst playing another. However, I don't have any software that could record the game, which is what I would need. As far as getting it to record itself... I don't think that would work. I'm not sure if it could recognize itself as another device and thus record. I might just try that to see what happens though. :wink:

If this does work out, most likely what I would do is create quick "guides" and make it a series. I would use a dummy game to demonstrate the main tip/trick/guide, then show it being used in a live action game with real players. I'd also try to have it narrated. Although I'd need someone with a nice voice because I have a heavy southern (Texas - American) accent that would definitely degrade the value of the videos. If done, I'd also try to see if someone with their own site and enough space/bandwidth could host them.

Something like
  1. Defcon 5/4: Unit Placement
  2. The Importance Of Radar
  3. Best Use of Your Navy
  4. Effective Bombing Styles
  5. Maximize Your Silo Strike
  6. Effective Submarine Tactics
  7. Backstab With The Best Of Them
  8. Other Interesting Titles I Can't Think Of At The Moment...
Also, knowing that there are other players out there with serious skills, I'd like to take their tips/tricks/guides and include them (with full credit to that player of course). Perhaps have them narrate and then put together a guide that would fit the standard format of the series.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:13 pm

I'm willing to work on a 'Traversing the Bering Strait' series which would show how to navigate the strait with various sized fleets. Currently nailed a fleet of 6 but messing around with compression and frame rates to make it as pretty as yours.

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Here's the same video on YouTube. Enlarged shows it's flaws much better. Still think it's watchable?

See here.

A Bering Straight guide would be a good addition.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:51 pm

Im really looking forward to the full version, as I'm a complete Defcon geek. Anything fresh about Defcon and Im there.

but question:

Do you really launch a ton of fighters first? Or was it just for the demo...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:59 pm

No, I don't do that, I just wanted to see how clear fast action was when recored under that setup. The video wasn't speed up either. You'll notice that there is only radar on my territory (Africa), nothing else. Also, I don't launch directly at enemy ships either.

I did a test recording with the fraps demo, I'll post it in just a few minutes to give you a comparison.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 pm

The videos seem watchable enough. However you could try and get a colour scheme for the background with more contrast against the units (white maybe?) and see if it works better (although it would probably look hideous)
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:07 pm

cuz you are one of the few generals we have and launching all fighters from carriers is a complete n00b tactic. It looks impressive for about 1 min and then everything is gone.

Didn't think you used this tactic, but I had to ask.

I get off pretty much every bomber perpendicular ASAP from carriers whenever I know the enemy cant be far off, but I have started to launch 1 fighter from each carrier before I switch to bomber mode. Gives fast intel and bearings when u have ur entire bomber fleet airborne. no fleet survives long distance sweeps from 24 bombers, esp not if you get land support too...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:25 pm

Just about done with the Fraps test. I took several 30 sec clips of an entire game. Only me and CPUs. I'll post the link here as soon as it's up.

Here it is, fresh off the press. You may have to wait for YouTube to process it before you can see it. Remember, this was merely to determine "view-ability" in comparison to the other video. Nothing fancy or complicated, just a test.

Edit: the original file looks awesome on Winamp video. we'll see what YouTube does to it.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:53 pm

DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 1), my attempt with Fraps to make a tutorial. How does it look to you lot?

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:56 pm

Pretty nice.
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 pm

hey, thats really cool. But getting it in a bigger format would help. u2be isnt exactly a high-definition kingdom... (my big screen doesnt work there)

EDIT: We simply MUST get someone to record some of the most deciding games in our tourney, at least the final. Why isnt there a Defcon channel up already? Would be fantastic if Defcon became as popular as Starcraft and they made it into a spectator sport...
Last edited by Radiant Caligula on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:10 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:hey, thats really cool. But getting it in a bigger format would help. u2be isnt exactly a high-definition kingdom... (my big screen doesnt work there)

Short of uploading a file to rapidshare.com do you have any recommendations of where to upload?

Return to “General”