Ace's (potential) Defcon Video Tuturial

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:31 am

KingAl wrote:
Trident wrote:... in Afghanistan women are not allowed to attend school, children are bombed, people are repressed...

All while the US are occupying... oops, did I say that?

Don't get confused with Iraq. In Afghanistan the situation is actually quite the contrary. Just take a look at this article of how it's people, expecially women, where treated under the Taliban regime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:46 am

I'm not getting confused with Iraq. According to news services, the Taliban government was toppled, Taliban presence was driven from major communities, and NATO forces are now fighting a Taliban insurgency. However, you said that Afghani's 'are' being treated this way. As at this current point in time US forces are in Afghanistan, my comment was entirely relevant.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:17 am

KingAl wrote:I'm not getting confused with Iraq. According to news services, the Taliban government was toppled, Taliban presence was driven from major communities, and NATO forces are now fighting a Taliban insurgency. However, you said that Afghani's 'are' being treated this way. As at this current point in time US forces are in Afghanistan, my comment was entirely relevant.

I guess i worded that wrong :oops:
i'd be a perfect candidate for a job at CNN
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Trident wrote:I guess i worded that wrong :oops:
i'd be a perfect candidate for a job at CNN

I think you've just lost that job opportunity for admitting you're wrong though.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:52 pm

Trident wrote:yeah watermarks are cheese, but i'm sure you could find other footage of the b-2. as for the depth charges i couldnt find any others either but there is some excellent scenes from the movie 'U-571' with depth charges being launched and exploded. . anyways the intro to your tutorial as not the main event and perhaps it dosen't really matter that much.

I'm sorry Ace my dvd rom does not seem to want to work right now :(
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:40 pm

Another contribution...

DEFCON - Circling Bombers

Not exactly the most useful of techniques but some may find use for this. Here's a rough guide on how to make bombers (and, well, figthers too) circle/orbit carriers and airfields. There is one snag with this technique and that is a current bug with bomber turning circles sometimes being tighter than normal (as seen in part 2 of the following videos).

If you do plan to use this technique, remember that the bombers will eventually run out of fuel so keep a eye on their fuel ranges.

In the following picture take note of how the bomber has been made to pass the airfield such that its wing tip touches the edge of the target circle. The time to give the order for the bomber to land (making it circle) is when the line from the bomber to the target pointed at by the cursor is pendicular to the direction the bomber is traveling i.e as shown in the image.

YouTube Links:
DEFCON - Circling Bombers (part 1) - Making a bomber circle an airfield
DEFCON - Circling Bombers (part 2) - Making multiple bombers circle an airfield and how it may go wrong.
DEFCON - Circling Bombers (part 3) - Making a bobmer circle a carrier.

Higher Quality Videos:
Get them while you can...
DEFCON - Circling Bombers.rar
DEFCON - Circling Bombers (MIRROR)
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:58 pm

I was able to work on my first video in the series Sunday, but am going back to the drawing board. My first attempt gave me plenty of thoughts on improvement for the actual series but nothing worth showing.

I also realized how time consuming this could be just from having to compress and format the video before ever editing it. Thankfully, I believe I have thought out a way to reduce this time significantly.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I also realized how time consuming this could be just from having to compress and format the video before ever editing it. Thankfully, I believe I have thought out a way to reduce this time significantly.

Compressing before editing? Aren't you at least compressing only the bits of footage you know you want?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:56 pm

Montyphy wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:I also realized how time consuming this could be just from having to compress and format the video before ever editing it. Thankfully, I believe I have thought out a way to reduce this time significantly.

Compressing before editing? Aren't you at least compressing only the bits of footage you know you want?

I only recorded what I wanted. Saved myself the trouble of having to edit out the garbage later.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59 pm

For those wondering about the progress of this...

I have written a first draft script for the first video in the series "Placing Your Units", and sent it off for review. I need only to complete the very end and will then have it narrated. Once that is done, the actual video will finally be put together with the audio. In short, I would say less than a week till it's public release.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:17 am

So who's narrating then?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:00 am

BrianBlessed wrote:So who's narrating then?
A very nice volunteer with just the right voice.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:52 am

some say i do a good Barry White...oooooooooohhhhh baaaaabbby.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:51 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:A very nice volunteer with just the right voice.

Well to get just the right voice it better be Alec Guiness or Graham Chapman and they're both dead, so it doesn't look too hopeful for you.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Been fooling around with some music and some of the sound f/x. looking for some feedback on the music...

I have the f/x for most of it, just haven't had time to put it all together yet.

Anyway, take a listen... here It still needs a little bit more work, but not much. I've cut out a few seconds shortening it to 43.

Return to “General”