A sad design flaw (that will be fixed hopefully)

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:36 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
lukasbradley wrote:But in the southern hemisphere, that shortest line would curve toward the south pole, not towards the equator.

Launch from South America to South Africa, and you'll see what I mean.

That is correct, yes, but then having the nukes always curve the way they currently do saves programming time ;)

Yes, to make time for writing the LINUX version? :lol:
Nameless_
level1
level1

Postby Nameless_ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:56 pm

Birds of fiery armageddon are in the air, you're the president of a nation able to stop the end of the world. Wouldn't you start shooting them down?

I know I fuzzling would.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:21 pm

lukasbradley wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
lukasbradley wrote:But in the southern hemisphere, that shortest line would curve toward the south pole, not towards the equator.

Launch from South America to South Africa, and you'll see what I mean.

That is correct, yes, but then having the nukes always curve the way they currently do saves programming time ;)

Yes, to make time for writing the LINUX version? :lol:

Exact...ly? Heh. But in all truth, there's quite a few things that Defcon does to save programming time and to good effect (although to bad effect in the case of one thing..)

NeoThermic
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:24 pm

xander wrote:This has been mentioned before. Many, many times. You have added nothing new to the debate. Most of the community disagrees with you. Go away until you can come up with something original.

xander

yeah um... ok, some people can't read every post because they have lives,and who cares if people disagree thats the whole point of these discussions
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Trident wrote:
xander wrote:This has been mentioned before. Many, many times. You have added nothing new to the debate. Most of the community disagrees with you. Go away until you can come up with something original.

xander

yeah um... ok, some people can't read every post because they have lives,and who cares if people disagree thats the whole point of these discussions

So, basically, you are saying that because some people are too lazy to search, or read through the archives (and, quite frankly, the archives are not that deep, so it doesn't take very long to skim them), they should be allowed to do whatever they want?

xander
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:13 am

NeoThermic wrote:
reggo wrote:And I really like true to life simulations, that's probably why I find uneasy to cope with this 'issue'.

Then I find it strange you have an issue with this. Defcon uses Equirectangular projection. Ergo if you draw a line between two points, it'll be curved. Incidnelty, despite the fact that people flag this as incorrect often, it's one of the most correct things in Defcon!

NeoThermic

the curved line would only carry into the z-axis, which is not represented in defcon. for example a icbm launched from Africa towards middle Asia would not first travel north over Russia, or from western to eastern USA would not be sent over Canada, in a 2 dimensional map it would appear to travel in a straight line, but that wouldn't look as cool.
as far as the selective targeting goes i dont like the idea because having to ally with a nation so that your nukes can travel freely over it adds another element to the game, and if there not you ally thats who you should be attacking (Russia and Europe are my enemies, but as Asia i think i'll try to attack Europe first. That way I'll have 12 silos to contend with) now is that a good strategy or what!
NICE GUY
level0

GREAT CIRCLES

Postby NICE GUY » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:16 am

If the game engine used "Great Circles" which are used in all aeronautical/aviation flight paths for all objects that fly long distances, then you'd still get arcs, but they'd be less aggressive which would be a nice compromise for those who are for and against them.

Technically, great circles represent the most efficient path between 2 points: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle but are inextricably linked to the physical projection of the map or surface you wish to use.

Personally, I'm all for arced ICBM flight paths for SILOS and SUBS however, tactical nukes from bombers should really follow a linear flight path as they only really change altitude in their short flight distance.

What does everyone else think?
[Nice Guys always come last!]
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Re: GREAT CIRCLES

Postby BrianBlessed » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:36 pm

NICE GUY wrote:What does everyone else think?

I've always thought that cornflakes look a bit like people.
Erasmus J Homeowner
level2
level2

Postby Erasmus J Homeowner » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:14 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
reggo wrote:And I really like true to life simulations, that's probably why I find uneasy to cope with this 'issue'.

Then I find it strange you have an issue with this. Defcon uses Equirectangular projection. Ergo if you draw a line between two points, it'll be curved. Incidnelty, despite the fact that people flag this as incorrect often, it's one of the most correct things in Defcon!

NeoThermic

Are you saying the paths are geodesics? i doubt it!
May the blessing of the bomb almighty descend on us all, this day and forever more.

Return to “General”