48%
2 different time zones
4%

Total votes: 25
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Are all the signups in? Anyone else, or are we going ahead with what we've got?
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 pm

DueAccident wrote:Are all the signups in? Anyone else, or are we going ahead with what we've got?

Hear hear!

Count me in: preferrably in the evening/night on weekdays, all-day/night on weekends.
GMT+1 timezone
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Added. :)
Nilocy
level1
level1

Postby Nilocy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Count me in please :D

Player name - Nilocy
Timezone - GMT +0
FAvourite playing time : 18:00 - 23:00 (6 pm till 11 pm GMT)
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Sure.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:34 pm

DueAccident wrote:Are all the signups in? Anyone else, or are we going ahead with what we've got?

We still need another 13 or so players to join (and play) for the prize (that I would like very much to give away) offer to be valid.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:05 pm

If you can find another 13 players then by all means, but I don't know where we are gonna get them :P
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey Ace, your scheme looks good, but I have one suggestion:

To have 1 game knockouts leading to the final seem ok, but dont you agree that 1 final game is not enough?

Some players can be lucky and get Africa for instance, which is top dog as far as scoring IMO.
Shouldn't we have the final being "best of 3" at least? Combined score from those 3 games defines the winner?
And the commercial value is tripled, since I EXPECT it to be broadcast live on ESPN.

Thoughts?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:37 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:Hey Ace, your scheme looks good, but I have one suggestion:

To have 1 game knockouts leading to the final seem ok, but dont you agree that 1 final game is not enough?

Some players can be lucky and get Africa for instance, which is top dog as far as scoring IMO.
Shouldn't we have the final being "best of 3" at least? Combined score from those 3 games defines the winner?
And the commercial value is tripled, since I EXPECT it to be broadcast live on ESPN.

Thoughts?

I could then argue that all of the matches in the tournament would need to be a best out of... :wink:

Seriously though... the actual format of the tournament has yet to be decided so this is a distinct possibility and I'm growing to like the idea of a 3 player finale.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:Hey Ace, your scheme looks good, but I have one suggestion:

Thoughts?

Pft! Three games is hardly enough to determine who the best player is! You would need at least 30 games to figure that out. Even then, you would probably need at least 30 games with every possible opening setup. So, each person needs to play 30 games against every other person as each continent. That would be 6! * 30 games! And that is just the beginning!

xander
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:25 pm

erm, my suggestion was that 3 games is far more accurate than 1 game on random territories... And it would only add to the excitement...
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:45 pm

Radiant : I will certainly take it into consideration, don't worry. Once we have a final roster of players, we can
decide on the tournament setup, and any suggestions are welcome. :)
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Xander, you are very wrong IMO. I totally agree with Radiant Caligula on this one.

In tournament final, with like 90% of probability, I can give you the winner. Not the player name, but the continent:
Africa. Why just 90%?? Couse stupid things like "OK, I am Asia/Europe/Whatever, and cannot win, but my friend XXX can, so i will help him...." might happen.

And i can give you the sore looser also. But I think you played enough (at least you act like it) that you already know the odds against some less fortunate countries.

And that is it.

At some level of gaming, with worthy opponents (and only those will meet there, I hope...), things like NA hitting Cairo and Moscow just can't be true. Why something as impossible as that? That is victory condition for NA, proven correct with several pro players (like ROFL, Sarp, Weps, and myself* ) - just ask them how hard some territories are, when profficient players are on the other side of the border...

I would vote for at least "best of three" final. With more cities than default. Otherwise it will be race for big cities, when only 3 territories really matter.
But then again, I am not participating, so why should I care:) **

*just that I play on European time and have less time for gaming now doesnt mean I am inferior to some mentioned there.

**Oh, wait, I DO participate, so I DO care:)
Last edited by KudrigY on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:53 pm

City population can be equalized so there are no "big" cities.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:00 pm

But then again, I am not participating, so why should I care:)

You...aren't? I've got your name down, I'm sure you must have entered somewhere.

Return to “General”