Cheat or Tactic?.. however it sucks

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Korvin
level1
level1

Cheat or Tactic?.. however it sucks

Postby Korvin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:05 pm

First of all.. please excuse my english.. it´s not my mothertounge..

however.. to the topic:
I´ve experienced a really strange kind of "tactic" in a game yesterday"..

Sometimes I use to build up an alliance in defcon 5 with one of my neighbours and place my units in a reference to the alliance ( of course with the possibility of backstabbing or getting backstabbed).

Some guy joined the alliance in defcon 5 and I´ve thought.. sweet 3v3.. however..
At the middle of defcon 4.. after me and the other guy in the alliance finished our placement he slowed the gamespeed to realtime.. than he left the alliance and placed his units afterwards..(damn I haven´t noticed that he doesn´t place his buildings)
so he has known the location of all our buildings and fleets.. and of course we aren´t able to see where he placed his units because he left the aliance before placing them...
He build up an alliance with another player.. and I am quite sure that he shared the locations on the whiteboard..

Of course me and the guy left in the alliance got pwnd.. and I was pretty pissed...

I think this is not a real tactic.. it´s a bit like bug using.. or using the game mechanic..
Under real sircumstances the silos and fleets won´t be build in the minutes between the Defcons. So even if a player leaves an alliance before defcon 3 you should see his placed building.

So right now I am a bit astonished .. is this supposed to be like this.. when yes it´s a pretty strange tactic of backstabbing someone.
Last edited by Korvin on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Actually this is a rather valid tactic, one I've actually used myself during diplomacy games. It's more along the lines of you should only ever let people in your alliance who you can trust enough not to do that to you. Obviously though don't trust them too much... ;)

NeoThermic
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:15 pm

It's a tactic. A great one. I've done it before...but I did feel terrible after :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Yes, it is a valid tactic. But, in most games that I have played those that do it (or that try to "recon" by joining then quiting an alliance) usually get ganged up on by everyone esle. So if you try it, you had better make it good!
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

whenever I feel like a devil (which is mostly always) I trick unsuspecting players with this.

But most of the time I'm a team player all the way and I cherish a team win as high or higher than individual victory.

A tip: If you are playing 5x games or whenever (be careful in diplo as you will be kicked more likely),
place fleet and subs FIRST. You save time and you have an equal hand if someone tries to doop you by joining you purely for intel...
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:10 am

I have to agree with valid tactic. Not one I've ever used though.

It's one of the things that always goes through my mine if someone tries to ally with me, I evaluate whether they are likely to do that.
parrot of doom
level2
level2

heh Korvin

Postby parrot of doom » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

That was me :) IIRC, you were Africa, and your teammate was Asia. I was the USSR.

Asia asked me to join, so I did. Of course Asia had placed everything, I took stock of the situation and immediately left to join with the EU.

I couldn't see any African sites. Only Asian. Which is why, at the end of the game, Asia was completely dead.

The thing is, neither Asia or Africa bothered to sacrifice any fighters over my territory, to seek out my stuff. Which is why you were both owned, because both the EU and USSR were last to launch their silos.

Oh, and I didn't share anything on the whiteboard - which is why the EU left Asia alone.

Choose your alliances carefully.
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:06 am

hehe, i remember multiply times with this used against me, 9/10 of the times i've won, the most recent being when I had planned to do recon on the enemies for my allies of USSR and ASIA, ( who I betrayed at the 30:00 vic timer and won :roll: ) when I tried to join another player, he seemed to be waiting for me to place my units as he had none down halfway to Def 3, he quickly quit and placed his, i already had placed mine but it didnt matter ! he lost ! muhahaha !
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:11 am

I must honestly say I've never really, really understood the tendency to implicitly trust otherwise-unknown people just because they click 'yes' to an offer of alliance.

If anything, I tend to look at my allies with more suspicion than at my enemies... 'cause at least, with my enemies, I can somewhat tell what their next move is going to be (something bad towards me).
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:55 pm

Trust is a weakness.

Return to “General”