Anyway, Can't wait for the Beta! :P
kneecaps
level1
level1

Postby kneecaps » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:39 am

Leman Russ wrote:Yeah, can't wait for betas! Where is my Beta! Its March
*begins to cry*

Realistically speaking I think its probably a bit too late for a public beta of any scale since the product is due for release in April.

Only leaves at worst, less than a month, or in the best case most of two months to organise a beta.

There woul not seem to be enough time for distributing the product to testers, allowing for some play testing, collatingbug reports and actually fixing bugs and implementing any changes. Before any final release there would need to be another solid test of the release candidate produced after the beta. Seems like too much to get done in the next two months.

Still, it would be great if there is a public beta.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:20 am

kneecaps wrote:
Leman Russ wrote:Yeah, can't wait for betas! Where is my Beta! Its March
*begins to cry*

Realistically speaking I think its probably a bit too late for a public beta of any scale since the product is due for release in April.

Only leaves at worst, less than a month, or in the best case most of two months to organise a beta.

There woul not seem to be enough time for distributing the product to testers, allowing for some play testing, collatingbug reports and actually fixing bugs and implementing any changes. Before any final release there would need to be another solid test of the release candidate produced after the beta. Seems like too much to get done in the next two months.

Still, it would be great if there is a public beta.

You must be new here. IV is pretty notorious for not meeting deadlines. Polish and quality are more important than deadlines. Also, given the nature of Defcon (from what we have seen), I wouldn't be suprised if beta testing only took a month or two. If they have been playing it and testing it fairly constantly for the last several months, I am certain that they have most of the show stoppers ironed out. Beta testing would probably consist mainly of tweaking, and hardware compatibilty testing. However, I am just talking out of my ass -- I am sure that we shall all be enlightened at some point.

xander
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:24 am

your ass can talk! interesting
IV damn well better have a beta. no game is complete until the betas are complete. and so therefore, my logic dictates that defcon will not be complete until the betas are over, and so we must have a beta!
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:11 am

Freeloader natives are getting restless...
iGAME...on the PC
kneecaps
level1
level1

Postby kneecaps » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:05 am

What development company is not notorious for breaking deadlines? :D

Well simply rejig what I said. If a public beta were to be distributed tomorrow, that would leave roughly two months to complete a satisfatory period of beta testing and to incorporate any required changes to the code. Who knows how long such code modifications may take since at this point in time its impossible to know what will need changing.

Say best case changes/bugfixes needed from the beta test take a few days to fix. A release candidate will then need some extensive playtesting.

So logically given time constraints I would say, April release, no beta. Later than April release, potentially a beta.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:41 am

Sorted. I've got admin privelages again :)

Thanks for the help :D

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
SS25_Launcher
level1
level1

i wanna beta test as well

Postby SS25_Launcher » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:58 am

yep
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:23 pm

So many people are gonna join this forum purely to beta test as they think it "r0x0rz!!1" to do so. Is there gonna be any prevention of freeloaders? How did they choose the beta testers for Darwinia?
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:40 pm

i think IV picked active members of the community with a wide spread of hardware to begin with, and then added more people randomly at every few releases or so
but maybe not, i seem to recall a few people becoming testers who had never posted or only posted once, so we shall see
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 pm

Hmm, I wonder how exactly, if at all, one can update their system specs at the IV DB, assuming there even is one such in existance.
iGAME...on the PC

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:44 pm

There is a link in the Darwinia forums regarding testing of their latest Darwinia Patch, you can update your information in there. Also once the beta is accounced there will be a link about it to submit your data. Long time community members tend to be picked over newbies, at least in general, but that could change this time around.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
kryptic
level1
level1

Postby kryptic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:03 pm

I bet they'll use a similar system to Darwinia's beta.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Rkiver wrote:Long time community members tend to be picked over newbies, at least in general, but that could change this time around.

Well, for Darwinia they picked a largish number of tech testers, and then selected some full game testers based on the people who gave good bug reports and stuff
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:48 pm

hehe, the introversion database
IVsoft Mainframe, containing 100 gq of user data

Return to “General”