General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ynbniar
level5
level5

Sad

Postby ynbniar » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:19 am

I love DEFCON.

I play it too often...in fact I've all but stopped playing anything else.

Most of the people I play against are great...win or loose it's the playing that counts...trying out new tactics...joining forces...winning at the death with your last handful of nukes...

DEFCON is a fantastic game.

Sometimes, and I hate to label folk, players from the USA mostly, probably younger players, seem more interested in hurling abuse at each other. But that's OK...it's just banter.

Very rarely you come across....well...the only way to put it is.... evil.

Check out the comment by The Reich at the start of a diplomacy game....

I refuse to play with scum like this. Away and bile yir heed ya muppet.

:evil:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:39 am

I believe it may be a comment linked to this image

Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:46 am

Montyphy wrote:I believe it may be a comment linked to this image

Do you?...I think it's just a sad, ill informed and xenophobic comment by a knuckle dragger.
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:13 am

I do not see the fun in this. Too bad someone has to make tastless stuff like that picture.
Chucko
level3
level3

Postby Chucko » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:33 am

God dammit....freaking idiots like those give a bad name to everyone from their country whether it be US or any other....
"There is no fate but what we make"
luke02
level1
level1

Postby luke02 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:06 am

I've done that to europe a few times...
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:02 am

So you mean you don't find that funny....?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:28 pm

ynbniar wrote:I think it's just a sad, ill informed and xenophobic comment by a knuckle dragger.

Although I can understand your point of view, I think you're overreacting.

Why is it xenophobic anyway? We're playing a games where mass genocide is the goal. And you get mad because someone commented that AIDS on africa was over?

AIDS is a problem in Africa, and so is hunger. I saw many comments like this in several of my games, and I possibly even made some myself, not only related to Africa but to whatever continent I was playing or attacking. It's the sort of dark humour that arises in this type of games. Either you take the game too seriously and have no fun, or make fun of stuff as you go, aware that this is only a game.

Stereotypes are the common target of jokes, blonde jokes being a good case, just because you tell them that does not mean you believe in them.

You're insulted by a joke, but you play a game where millions are killed on a regular basis?
Centurion Wind
level1
level1

Postby Centurion Wind » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:47 pm

Great, I feel the need to make a serious post about something, for once. :roll:

I'm with Xocrates on this one. I'm probably one of the more sensitive and altruistic people you'll meet (though a bit of a realist), and yet I make and tolerate tasteless jokes like that all the time. It's a little something called humor, and it's not serious. If I made a joke about AIDS in Africa, does that mean I automatically hate people of African nations and want them all to suffer? No, not at all.

I think it's going a little overboard to quit a game and/or post a topic complaining just because some random guy made a tasteless comment. Like Xocrates noted, this is a game where you nuke millions of lives out of existence. In-game, you're simulating a tragedy that could never be surpassed - the end of the world as we know it. So, it's okay to make jokes about that whilst jokes about AIDS in Africa are somehow an outrage? C'mon, that's just ridiculous. A joke is a joke.

Though it's sort of on a different subject, I also think it's pretty lame to generalize against Americans and claim that DEFCON's more immature and young players are predominantly American. Sure, to European eyes, you could argue Americans are stereotypically a bunch of apes who invade sandy countries. That's not true, though.

The trick in life is to figure out when things are serious and when things aren't. This is the internet, and DEFCON is just a computer game: it's just entertainment. This guy's joke, while tasteless, did not cause some random African person to contract HIV. Nobody has suffered because of it.

*steps off soapbox* Sorry about that. Continue. :oops:
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:03 pm

I chuckled. If you don't like it, stop crying and ignore it.
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:34 pm

It's the Internet. Grow up and go outside.
Torp
level1
level1

Postby Torp » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:37 am

Oh, but americans are a bunch of apes who invade sandy countries...

I will side with Xocrates and that gang on this one. It's a joke. I didn't find it very funny (not because it offended me, but because I just didn't find it funny), but it was still a joke.

I am personally a fan of dark humour like that, and have probably made several similar statements over the years. Nothing bad is meant by them.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:04 am

If you guys think that is in poor taste, you really don't know the definition of "poor taste." Personally, I don't find it to be a very funny joke, though it did cause me to grin for about half a second. If the same joke were made by replacing Africa with Asia, and AIDS with SARS, would it be any more or less funny? Probably not. Would anyone find it less offensive? Probably. That strikes me as a sign that some people are just overly sensitive, and easily offended. If it doesn't strike you as funny, ignore it. By making a big deal out of it, you call attention to it, and ensure that it will last longer.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:31 am

xander wrote:If you guys think that is in poor taste, you really don't know the definition of "poor taste." Personally, I don't find it to be a very funny joke, though it did cause me to grin for about half a second. If the same joke were made by replacing Africa with Asia, and AIDS with SARS, would it be any more or less funny? Probably not. Would anyone find it less offensive? Probably. That strikes me as a sign that some people are just overly sensitive, and easily offended. If it doesn't strike you as funny, ignore it. By making a big deal out of it, you call attention to it, and ensure that it will last longer.

xander

I think the best change is to replace Africa with America, and AIDS with Americans ;)

The World and Mac users would also suffice :)

[size=0]And for those quoting me saying OMG! You're evil, look up the word sarcasm[/size]

NeoThermic
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:30 am

sarcasm(sar*caz*em) n. 1: The fantastic gulf between a statement by NeoThermic and the concept of "funny"

(*ducks, runs*)

Return to “General”