Nearing the End

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

el_cascador
level2
level2

Postby el_cascador » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Australia first damn it!

Australia is probably already under it
Darksun
level5
level5

Re: Nearing the End

Postby Darksun » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:39 pm

FedRebel wrote:North Korea only has a hand full of short range nukes, and they'll piss of China (NK's only 'ally') if they use them

There's no evidence of this. They have some short range missiles, maybe capable of hitting Japan but the missiles themselves still have some problems.

They have detonated at least one nuclear device. Note I say 'device' and not bomb, it's probably a huge thing needing a massive system of support equipment (comparable to the first H-'Bomb' tests). As far as the evidence shows, they don't have a reliable delivery mechanism or any significant stockpile of nuclear devices.
L`zard
level0

Postby L`zard » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 am

What REALLY scares me is this discussion.........

The world is still full of NUKES, yet we pay no attention to where they are?

Some One hit me with the 'funbat',.

Guess who has the most , pointed 'where' ?
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Australia first damn it!

Wiki wrote:The treaty was negotiated in Kyoto, Japan in December 1997, opened for signature on March 16, 1998, and closed on March 15, 1999. The agreement came into force on February 16, 2005 following ratification by Russia on November 18, 2004. As of December 2006, a total of 169 countries and other governmental entities have ratified the agreement (representing over 61.6% of emissions from Annex I countries).[6][7] Notable exceptions include the United States and Australia. Other countries, like India and China, which have ratified the protocol, are not required to reduce carbon emissions under the present agreement despite their relatively large populations.

>.>

STABBITY STAB STAB STABBITY STAB STAB STAB.
Its USAs fault.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Deliverable nukes? Then the USA. source

*grabs Super Mini Funbat, laughs maniacally, begins hitting posters randomly*
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
adam_the_scouser
level1
level1

Postby adam_the_scouser » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:10 am

What I wondered about is why do the USA and Russia have so many nukes? Britain has 4 submarines with enough nukes to hit every country and we all know it would only take a few nukes to totally mess up our world. So if you have a million nukes or a thousand nukes it doesn't really matter cos once somebody fires one then they are dead! :shock:
Chucko
level3
level3

Postby Chucko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:30 pm

I can't wait for global warming. It means I will have ocean front property and can simply walk to the beach. Plus the waves might get better due to the terrain under the water. Plus a lot of people will drown which is great because that just means less traffic for me to deal with on a daily basis.
"There is no fate but what we make"
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:38 pm

adam_the_scouser wrote:What I wondered about is why do the USA and Russia have so many nukes? Britain has 4 submarines with enough nukes to hit every country and we all know it would only take a few nukes to totally mess up our world. So if you have a million nukes or a thousand nukes it doesn't really matter cos once somebody fires one then they are dead! :shock:

Redundancy.

Having four subs with enough nukes to hit every country is dandy, up until someone manages to sink three of them. Then you can only mess up a quarter of the Earth's population, which is just not trying all that hard.

The nuke building of the Cold War was done, in part, as a sort of machismo-style one-upsmanship. A sort of mutual "It doesn't matter if you destroy all the silos you know about, we've still got enough missiles to ruin your day, and the day of the entire planet, ten times over!" "Oh yeah, well we can say the same thing, except twelve times over!"
Chucko
level3
level3

Postby Chucko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:41 pm

MoonHill wrote:
adam_the_scouser wrote:What I wondered about is why do the USA and Russia have so many nukes? Britain has 4 submarines with enough nukes to hit every country and we all know it would only take a few nukes to totally mess up our world. So if you have a million nukes or a thousand nukes it doesn't really matter cos once somebody fires one then they are dead! :shock:

Redundancy.

Having four subs with enough nukes to hit every country is dandy, up until someone manages to sink three of them. Then you can only mess up a quarter of the Earth's population, which is just not trying all that hard.

The nuke building of the Cold War was done, in part, as a sort of machismo-style one-upsmanship. A sort of mutual "It doesn't matter if you destroy all the silos you know about, we've still got enough missiles to ruin your day, and the day of the entire planet, ten times over!" "Oh yeah, well we can say the same thing, except twelve times over!"

If the nukes don't kill you, the fallout will. If the fallout doesn't kill you hopefully the guilt will! If guilt doesn't kill you...don't worry, we're developing biological agents that will spread and kill everyone.
"There is no fate but what we make"
Firestarter
level0

Nukes, nukes, nukes.

Postby Firestarter » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:22 am

Do the words "arms race" mean anything to you? Seriously though, the truth was we and Russia were so scared of each other we thought we could intimidate the other side into backing down by having more nukes than the other. Nukes are hard things to get rid of safely, so, unfortunately, they're still around. It isn't exactly because we need them. Really, it isn't us and Russia you have to worry about anymore, it's us and China. The word is, in 60 years, the USA and China are probably going to go head-to-head. I can hardly say that this assertion is based on hard evidence (they mention it in the movie The Departed). But it is not unthinkable that China would finally come to the point where they can and will challange the our vaunted American "dominance," an encounter that could escalate to, say, DEFCON 1. But we're not about nukes anymore, not really. We're pretty sure nobody wants to instigate M.A.D. Our biggest problem right now is the kind you can't really nuke anyway.

Yes, this document admits I'm an American. And yes, we get it, we're unpopular.
"The only winning move is not to play." --Joshua
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Nukes, nukes, nukes.

Postby Montyphy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:35 pm

Firestarter wrote:(they mention it in the movie The Departed)

And in the movie "Planet of the Apes" they mention we will all be ruled by apes.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
erratic
level0

Postby erratic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:57 pm

Montyphy wrote:

And in the movie "Planet of the Apes" they mention we will all be ruled by apes.

Well, we *are* apes, so that one has already been fulfilled.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:49 pm

erratic wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

According to 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe', we are ruled by mice from another dimension.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
erratic
level0

Postby erratic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:04 am

Montyphy wrote:
erratic wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

According to 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe', we are ruled by mice from another dimension.

Frankie and Benjy - I'd forgotten about them!

Return to “General”