Accused of cheating for the first time

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

FiveDollarYoBet
level1
level1

Accused of cheating for the first time

Postby FiveDollarYoBet » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:32 am

Wow, just played in a match (6 ply, N v S) and I got acused of cheating. I was NA and the accuser was SA. Two minutes into defcon1 he launches from his silos. Luckily my bombers were already airborne and I had subs within range. I have to admit, once he started accusing me of using a bot(?) and cheating I made sure that I unloaded every nuke I had at him.

I guess people handle getting pummeled differently. He was decent and didn't shut down the server.

-FiveDollarYoBet
"This is Lawrence. This is Lawrence, Kansas. Is there anybody there? Anybody at all?"
MadSeven
level2
level2

Postby MadSeven » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:02 am

So how did he think you cheated? By launching your bombers early??
FiveDollarYoBet
level1
level1

Not Sure

Postby FiveDollarYoBet » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:37 pm

I don't know and he wouldn't say. He kept going on about how he had proof that I was using a bot (which I don't understand. Isn't a bot just a cpu player?). The he started going on asking how many chances should I be given to stop cheating before he bans me. Eventually he stopped accusing me and must've walked away from the game (he was hosting so at least he didn't shut it down).

He never did present me with any of the "proof" that he had from the game logs.

How can you launch your bombers early? I launched mine about 2 min before defcon1.

-FiveDollarYoBet
"This is Lawrence. This is Lawrence, Kansas. Is there anybody there? Anybody at all?"
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:43 pm

In other games, small programs can be used to auto-aim for you and the like. I'm not sure how such a 'bot' could be applied to Defcon, though: as far as I know, your client only knows what you can see.
FiveDollarYoBet
level1
level1

Exactly

Postby FiveDollarYoBet » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Yeah, I've heard of aim bots and stuff from Battlefield 2 but I thought the only way to cheat in Defcon was to communicate with a spectator via IM or phone or something.

-FiveDollarYoBet
gerph
level1
level1

Re: Exactly

Postby gerph » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:00 pm

FiveDollarYoBet wrote:Yeah, I've heard of aim bots and stuff from Battlefield 2 but I thought the only way to cheat in Defcon was to communicate with a spectator via IM or phone or something.

Yeah, and that involves precisely zero technical knowledge. And can be prevented from happening by disabling spectators - please don't though, 'cos I love spectating :-)

There is, however, a more technical way to cheat which isn't monitorable by any of the other players and which can give you an advantage, particularly in diplomacy games. Sadly there's nothing as players that you can do to avoid it. I doubt this was what the complainer was talking about.
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:52 pm

We call these sore-losers and morons.

Like the one guy who fell victim to my massive nuke launch about an hour into the game. I told everyplayer I would have a launch on warning policy, and I would launch my entire arsenel.. Well, he launched at my navy with Bombers. Guy wouldn't shutup about realtime, neither would anyone else, but picking targets with about 130 nukes takes a while.

End-result: He got last place with about 9m people left.
el_cascador
level2
level2

Postby el_cascador » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Thats just plain evil
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Apart from talking to spectators (which can be disable), it's impossible to cheat in defcon, just because of the way the game works. Anyway kind of cheat applied by a person, would be incompatible with the other players defcon, and would cause an 'out of sync' error.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:00 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:Apart from talking to spectators (which can be disable), it's impossible to cheat in defcon, just because of the way the game works. Anyway kind of cheat applied by a person, would be incompatible with the other players defcon, and would cause an 'out of sync' error.
As per current thinking, I still highly doubt it's impossible to cheat, just quite hard. Something may be possible with external tools, or some very very complicated spoofing. But so long as there aren't ranks, I don't personally think anyone will actually bother.
Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:52 pm

PsychicKid wrote:We call these sore-losers and morons.

Like the one guy who fell victim to my massive nuke launch about an hour into the game. I told everyplayer I would have a launch on warning policy, and I would launch my entire arsenel.. Well, he launched at my navy with Bombers. Guy wouldn't shutup about realtime, neither would anyone else, but picking targets with about 130 nukes takes a while.

End-result: He got last place with about 9m people left.

Poor him i wonder what he said when all your nukes came

Sore loser wrote:mumy these big boys are mean to me
NORAD
level1
level1

Postby NORAD » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:44 am

He's a coward. Don't worry about it.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:58 am

i believe if you buy another SN, you can run another copy & logs in to a game twice, once as a spectator & once as a player. I've done player vs player on my comp but never tried spectator. Is that considered cheating or a "tactical advantage"? :)
FiveDollarYoBet
level1
level1

Postby FiveDollarYoBet » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:17 am

That would definitely be considered cheating. That's why I always feel more comfortable in a game without spectators.

-FiveDollarYoBet
Jcbturbo
level1
level1

Postby Jcbturbo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:46 pm

Hi everybody
perhaps some people get confused between chaeting and unfair play,
I have been on servers to see and feel everyone seemingly targeting one player,
it certainly feels like your being cheated when on the recieveing end,

at a guess where 5 dollar is concered, I would assume the other player did not lauch his bombers untill defcon 1
where as 5 was airborne,
I say this because I wasnt aware myself that the bomber would change from naval to nuke if it took of b4 defcon 1,
what is interesting is why didnt his fighters shoot you down,

Return to “General”