Postby VaultTek » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 am

It's rude. That is all.

Thanks,

Fink / VaultTek
Torp
level1
level1

Postby Torp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:42 am

I'm okay with people who have been completely decimated quitting, actually. I would probably not do it myself, at least if I had something left, but I'm not going to expect a person to sit through possibly hours of doing nothing just to please somebody who thinks it cowardly to quit.

If it's just a matter of being hit early on and losing half your silos and several of your population centers, then you still have a fight in you, and can through manipulation of your allies, great tactics or just sheer luck, still win. Or at least, you could be able to go for a team win, propelling your ally to the top while maximising your own score. But if you have left 10% of your population, a single silo, a couple of airbases and maybe half a unit of subs, and the game is 20 game minutes into defcon1, then it's completely acceptable to quit.

When the player is the server it's a different thing, though. The server should never quit, not unless he has to.
Flaps
level1
level1

Postby Flaps » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:08 am

I think quitting is ok if:

You're not the server
You're not playing one on one
You haven't got much left to contribute (i.e. nukes all gone/destroyed)

Or you have the agreement of other players.

I once totally wiped out a guy early on in a one on one - i offered him the chance to stop playing and he took it.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Torp wrote:I'm okay with people who have been completely decimated quitting, actually. I would probably not do it myself, at least if I had something left, but I'm not going to expect a person to sit through possibly hours of doing nothing just to please somebody who thinks it cowardly to quit.
I thought decimated mean that 10% of somehting had been destroyed? :P

But I know what you mean.
Torp
level1
level1

Postby Torp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Yes. Decimation means something like "removal of a tenth", and was the highest form of diciplinary punishment in the roman army. If a cohort was punished by decimation, 1/10th of the members of that formation, chosen by lots (which included ranking officers), was executed by his fellow soldiers.

The word has taken on a different meaning in modern times, meaning almost the opposite (that is, having 1/10th remaining).
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:58 pm

Here lately in a lot of the games that I host, that even if they have lost do not just quit. They stay around and ask questions about my strat and how can they improve on their game. I think that if you a nice host (or player) that you can contribute to the game and teach those that ejoy the game for what is.
prozachar
level1
level1

Re: Don't quit when you're losing.

Postby prozachar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:26 pm

VaultTek wrote:It's rude. That is all.

Thanks,

Fink / VaultTek

It's rude to expect people to continue playing a game they have no chance of winning and are not having fun playing.
SODsniper
level3
level3

Postby SODsniper » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:43 pm

I can see both sides of the issue.

It is annoying for the winning player..

On the other hand, real life can (and often does) intrude on game playing. There are a multitude of reasons why a person would have to drop, even if only because they would rather be doing something than getting their asses handed to them..

In my case, I have seven workstations around the house, so I can always just let the game run while I do something on another station. And, since I get my ass kicked a lot, I do that a lot too.. :D

Anyways, just keep in mind that the person dropping may not be doing so just because they are losing. There might be very good reasons why he/she had to bail.

SODsniper
SODsniper
www.specialopsdivision.com
Building A Better RavenShield Community......One Map At A Time.....
Torp
level1
level1

Re: Don't quit when you're losing.

Postby Torp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:02 pm

prozachar wrote:
VaultTek wrote:It's rude. That is all.

Thanks,

Fink / VaultTek

It's rude to expect people to continue playing a game they have no chance of winning and are not having fun playing.

It's even more rude to promise people a round of good, fun gaming, and then, once it shows you're not going to come out on top, deny these people the good fun they're having. That only happens if the quitter is the server, though.

That's the only kind of quitter I really don't like. I mean, sure, I get a bit irritated if, in a fourway game, my ally drops because he got hit bad by both our enemies, but it's not the end of the game. At least he won't backstab me :-)
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:00 pm

I have absolutely no problem with someone dropping out of a game, for whatever reason. It might be done rudely (dropping following a stream of invective and anger), it might be done unintentionally or without any choice (I've had to drop because something came up. It happens), it might be done with a nice little "Great work guys" message. It's all cool.

Dropping when you're the host, though, sucks. Still could be totally unavoidable, and with no ill intention behind it, and with no real cause to blame the dropping host for the annoyance, but it still sucks. :?

Return to “General”