Warning: VTP

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ERTO
level1
level1

Warning: VTP

Postby ERTO » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:25 am

I hate bitching about people, but I thought I'd give gamers here a heads up. For the most part, almost all Defcon servers I've played on have been great; however, I've had a few very bad experiences on a server run by "VTP". The games are usually called "Veterans Day 3x3" or somesuch. Basically, so far as I can tell, VTP only hosts games to mess with people. All sorts of crap; going on and on about how he's "monitoring IPs" the whole game, threatening to shut the server down if people drop below 5x (despite spending 10+ mins at a stretch at 1X himself, while everyone begs him to go to 5x), IP blocking at the server level players he's pissed off with (effectively kicking them) and refusing to kick abusive players (like his friend, who was all-silo teamfragging everyone on a no-defection game right after he stated that he was walking away from the computer, which he'd left running at 1X). And, of course, three games now he's just randomly shut the server down -- twice because he'd just been attacked with a huge blitz, and once because everyone was mad at him for being such an idiot. Point is, VTP's a bit of a jerk and is only running servers to laugh at people as he messes with them. Since he always names his games the same thing, he should be easy to avoid. :)

I really would like to have some sort of key-based player registry, not for ranking's sake, but to make it easier to brand and filter the jackasses out there.

Fun screenshot from the game where he refused to boot the teamfragger, (Jaddie) then shut the server down (I'm Col. Ripper):

Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 am

Sure he was an idiot, but there was a reason that the "Grievers List" was locked. That was beacuse everyone can change his name so easy so its inpossible to know its who it is. I can easily name myself Col. Ripper and be a jackass then you get the blame.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Re: Warning: VTP

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Yes, but...
ERTO wrote:Since he always names his games the same thing, he should be easy to avoid. :)
So he clearly doesn't care what people think of him.
Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:13 pm

But if he reads this post (not likely beacuse hes surely a steam player (no offence all mature steam users)) he will surely change his
andym00
level0

Postby andym00 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:59 am

Just had it with him as well..
Complained non-stop throughout the game, then with half an hour to go (set time limit game) he started demanding people launch their nukes in the next minute otherwise he'll shut the server down.. And he did..
I'm steering clear of him or any other servers with his IP.. What a waste of an evening that turned out to be..
mobius
level2
level2

Postby mobius » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:24 am

yeah ive come accross the red team there and im under the impression that MSTCROW and VTB are either the same person or two people in the same room.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Slinken wrote:Sure he was an idiot, but there was a reason that the "Grievers List" was locked. That was beacuse everyone can change his name so easy so its inpossible to know its who it is. I can easily name myself Col. Ripper and be a jackass then you get the blame.

Griefer management is a HUGE issue in online games, still to this day you can't must individual players' voices or text chat in Unreal Tournament 2004 and as such hardly any servers use voice anymore, which really takes a lot of the fun away.

I'm a big fan of things like IP tracking, muting and kick voting to keep griefers from ruining everyone's good time.

That being said I've definitely enjoyed the occasional round of griefing when I get stuck on a team where some n00b decides he's Cobra Commander and screams at everyone to do what he says! :D
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:03 pm

Slinken wrote:But if he reads this post (not likely beacuse hes surely a steam player (no offence all mature steam users)) he will surely change his

I am a Steam Player and I read this forum every day.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Slinken wrote:no offence all mature steam users

what is is you dont get?
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Angel of Death wrote:
Slinken wrote:But if he reads this post (not likely beacuse hes surely a steam player (no offence all mature steam users)) he will surely change his

I am a Steam Player and I read this forum every day.

Me too. Just a question, if MSTCROW and VTB are the same. And the griefers list was set up my mastercrow. Is there a connection? Is it for an ego trip? In which case it would be pretty funny because we kept asking him to add his own name to the list and he wouldnt.
Amerigo Vespucci
level1
level1

Postby Amerigo Vespucci » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:56 pm

mobius wrote:yeah ive come accross the red team there and im under the impression that MSTCROW and VTB are either the same person or two people in the same room.

Unlikely. I've played matches with both, and there's an enormous difference in skill level and maturity both. MSTCrow is by far the superior player.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:35 am

great game we had tonight Amerigo, I am [1337]WOPR by the way.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:58 pm

mibias wrote:

what is is you dont get?

I'm confused why he would label an abuser as a steam user. I know he's not bashing all steam users, but it still confuses my why he would even make that assumption.

wwarnick
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:10 pm

wwarnick wrote:
mibias wrote:

what is is you dont get?

I'm confused why he would label an abuser as a steam user. I know he's not bashing all steam users, but it still confuses my why he would even make that assumption.

wwarnick

Because the stereotypical Steam user is not all that mature. It is all about stereotypes.

xander
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:46 pm

Right, I'm not trying to stir things up, but I'm curious what about the steam version would attract more immature users than the standalone?

wwarnick

Return to “General”