What will you be doing?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: f

Postby xander » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:35 am

rome87 wrote:im around 50 miles from London what kinda death can i expect.
quick or painful
?
:shock:

Well, possibly quick and painful, but much more likely very slow, and very, very painful. Radiation sickness ain't no kinda fun.

xander
User avatar
N0ught
level3
level3
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:55 am
Location: Los Angeles. Yeah, thats it, Los Angeles...

Postby N0ught » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:37 am

These are jammy dodgers by the way


Oh ok... like jam cookies, or tarts. Gotcha. ;)
chaz1356
level1
level1
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:38 am

Postby chaz1356 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:44 am

Try living in San Diego.....I'm surrounded by targets. Then again mab the Ageis can shoot em down.
User avatar
ERTO
level1
level1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 pm

Postby ERTO » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:49 am

chaz1356 wrote:Try living in San Diego.....I'm surrounded by targets. Then again mab the Ageis can shoot em down.


Nah, they're only designed to defend against air to ship and ship to ship missiles. There is no current way to destroy inbound warheads once they exit the boost stage. The U.S. is working on a ground-based space interceptor, but it's not designed to stop the Russians -- it can handle maybe a few inbound warheads, tops, and even then it currently sucks at actually killing them.
User avatar
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: London

Postby Gen. Ripper » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:24 am

ive just been reading these links (and in a paraniod moment i downloaded them :P ) very intresting if you put the effort in to read all the sections -

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/7906/index.html

(but thats what you can expect i assume) so basicly we would be screwed whatever happens.....kind of scary some of the wording too, such as....

(direct quote)

"evacuation might reduce fatalities to a range of 25 to 35 million, but if the united states were to target the evacuated population, some 50 million might be killed"

anyway, enjoy
Torp
level1
level1
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:48 pm

Postby Torp » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:08 pm

1. I live in Norway. No cities in the entire scandinavian peninsula (at least not in standard mode).
2. Nucler winter will be a bitch, though.
3. I think I need a stockpile of food, a vast underground vault with space for a good set of different animals, some factories to produce vital stuff, a nuclear reactor (preferably thorium, we just need to make one that works first), enough uncontaminated water, and all my friends, family and their friends and family, the guys from Introversion, some other tech people (as a student at a tech university, I've got enough of them around too), and I'd be set for life.
4. Oh, and a fricking huge amount of lead to stop radiation.
User avatar
BrianBlessed
level4
level4
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Postby BrianBlessed » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:49 pm

ERTO wrote:The U.S. is working on a ground-based space interceptor.....


To my memory the UN is trying to push (or was drafting) a new Space treaty to stop the use of any weapons at all to be used in outer space, whereas currently the Outer space treaty only covers nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction. Although to my knowledge that and the laws over space and moon ownership are the only laws that cover space, so space itself is much like the old high seas. Hurrah!
User avatar
rome87
level2
level2
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:40 pm

Re: f

Postby rome87 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:49 pm

xander wrote:
rome87 wrote:im around 50 miles from London what kinda death can i expect.
quick or painful
?
:shock:

Well, possibly quick and painful, but much more likely very slow, and very, very painful. Radiation sickness ain't no kinda fun.

xander
o well if that happens ill have some fun before it happens take my mind of the burning pain for a while untill i start growing a 3rd arm.

Anyways would primary targets for a 1st strike be miltary targets like airfields radar stations,army headquaters etc and not civilion targets?

Would they use small nuclear or big nuclear weapens to take out things like power stations water works farms industrials areas etc ?

just wodered, kinda paranoid about this cos im only 1 mile from a power station :x :x
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:16 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:To my memory the UN is trying to push (or was drafting) a new Space treaty to stop the use of any weapons at all to be used in outer space, whereas currently the Outer space treaty only covers nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction. Although to my knowledge that and the laws over space and moon ownership are the only laws that cover space, so space itself is much like the old high seas. Hurrah!

Once nuclear war starts, treaties won't matter anymore.

wwarnick
User avatar
BrianBlessed
level4
level4
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Postby BrianBlessed » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:29 pm

Well I doubt that someone could place anything in orbit during a nuclear war, I mean by the time they prepped a rocket everyone would be dead anyway.
Ninja Overlord
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:25 am

Postby Ninja Overlord » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:02 am

BrianBlessed wrote:Well I doubt that someone could place anything in orbit during a nuclear war, I mean by the time they prepped a rocket everyone would be dead anyway.


Well, the point is, if nations were place space stations armed with ICBMs in orbit before a war breaks out, they'd be able to pretty much hit anyplace on earth very quickly. That would be possible, as far as I know, since ICBMs already enter into space (the highest parts of the atmosphere, I think, but people still call it space), and a missile would be able to use its fuel to aim, and just free-fall the rest of the way to earth (it would have to be well-shielded).

Anyway, if multiple nations have such stations, and one of them launches a nuke, people probably wouldn't be able to figure out what nation launched the nuke until they calculated the trajectory. I imagine that would take some time. A heck of a lot longer than it takes to point fingers and turn launch keys, at any rate.
User avatar
ERTO
level1
level1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 pm

Postby ERTO » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:50 am

Torp wrote:1. I live in Norway. No cities in the entire scandinavian peninsula (at least not in standard mode).


In reality, though, Norway is NATO. 750kt airburst targets would likely be:

Bodø main airstation

Orland Air Station (an AWACS is based here)

Andøya Air Station

Mathopen Naval Base

NATO JWC at Jatta

Figure everything up to 3 and a half miles out from ground zero is totally destroyed by the blast wave, and most everything up to 6 miles from ground zero catches fire. At 8 miles out, it's bright enough to set the grass and trees on fire. At 10 miles out, you're still getting second degree burns.

I'm pretty sure Norway would catch more than it's fair share of nukes in a full-scale strategic Russian attack.

2. Nucler winter will be a bitch, though.


Actually, I think the science is still out on that one. Most modern weather models don't predict the cataclysmic "winter" effects that people were so worried about in the 80s.

Don't forget, you'll need to have animals down there in that mineshaft with you, to be bred and slaughtered. ;)
Torp
level1
level1
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:48 pm

Postby Torp » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:06 am

Yeah, I know. And whether I'm at home or studying, I'll be close to one of those (Jåttå and Ørland, to be precise).
bOgan_X
level1
level1
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Contact:

Postby bOgan_X » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:20 am

I would load up my car with essentials and drive the 300KM to my house in the Australian country side
and reflect on how good it is to be an Australian, far away from all that crap....then get started on the
fire wood pile, ready for the never ending winter.

At least ill live 6 > 12 months longer than all u guys. :lol:
User avatar
BrianBlessed
level4
level4
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Postby BrianBlessed » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:39 pm

Ninja Overlord wrote:Well, the point is, if nations were place space stations armed with ICBMs in orbit before a war breaks out, they'd be able to pretty much hit anyplace on earth very quickly. That would be possible, as far as I know, since ICBMs already enter into space (the highest parts of the atmosphere, I think, but people still call it space), and a missile would be able to use its fuel to aim, and just free-fall the rest of the way to earth (it would have to be well-shielded).

Anyway, if multiple nations have such stations, and one of them launches a nuke, people probably wouldn't be able to figure out what nation launched the nuke until they calculated the trajectory. I imagine that would take some time. A heck of a lot longer than it takes to point fingers and turn launch keys, at any rate.

That's why the treaty is there....so people can't actually keep nukes or weapons of mass destruction in orbit. I mean they do actually check what space authorities are launching into space....

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests