Nuking Allies without Breaking the Alliance. Cheap?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Nuking your ally's Silos/Radar/Airbases without breaking the alliance. Cheap trick or acceptable tactic?

It's acceptable. War is war; if your ally nukes you, too bad. For you, at least. :)
85%
It's unacceptable. It's not fair to sneak attack someone like that, even if it is war.
9%
Not only is it acceptable, I can't think of a time I wouldn't do that! :)
No votes
You mean people nuke their allies? Now, why would someone do something like that?
5%

Total votes: 55
Ninja Overlord
level1
level1

Nuking Allies without Breaking the Alliance. Cheap?

Postby Ninja Overlord » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:44 am

Woo hoo, first post. I guess I'll start off with a poll.

So, if you weren't already aware, it's possible to nuke an ally's silos, radar stations, and airbases (and destroy them in the process) without breaking the alliance, or even incurring collateral damage penalties (since no one was actually killed).

What do you think about this? Is it a perfectly viable strategy, or a really cheap trick?

Personally, I think it's perfectly acceptable. I've been on both sides of these sorts of sneak attacks, and they are indeed quite effective. If you don't spot your "ally's" nukes in time, it can be devastating. On the other hand. it can be a very effective tactic to use if your ally is winning.

P.S.

I was so close to voting for the third option. :D
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:03 am

The option I would choose isn't up there. I would say it is acceptable, but exceptionally cheap.
Ninja Overlord
level1
level1

Postby Ninja Overlord » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:08 am

Hmm. Why do you think that?

If anybody has thoughts on the discussion they would like to add, please do.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 am

i'm with feud on this one. it IS cheap because they have no way of defending. Period. I don't belive that was intended in the game.

but it IS in the game so it's legal. :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:13 am

Well, if I am going to backstab someone, I'm going to let them know I"m doing it. That moment might be just before the first bomb falls, but I will still do it.

If someone is going to double cross me, at least look me in the eye when it happens. If the backstab is pulled off right, it won't really make much of a differance.

Sort of the differance between beating someone up, and beating someone up and then spiting on them. It's almsot a slap in the face.
Ninja Overlord
level1
level1

Postby Ninja Overlord » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:17 am

i'm with feud on this one. it IS cheap because they have no way of defending. Period. I don't belive that was intended in the game.

That's not true, if I understand you correctly. There are two ways to defend against the attack if you realize that you're being betrayed.

1. Click on his units/nukes. Of course, if you do this, you might as well just defect. But if you see his bombers flying over your territory, and you're in a big alliance, you can shoot down the bombers, and your other allies might not realize what's going on.

2. You can disable the ceasefire. Now, you'll automatically shoot down his units, although you'll probably be kicked.
rawera
level1
level1

Postby rawera » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:30 am

I've actually had some diplo games in which an ally and I waged our own little war while staying in the alliance. It started when I nuked 2 airbases and a radar simultaneously. When he saw this he responded with bombers to my airbase but I scrambled fighters to intercept. Then he started launching from ships so I moved more ships and planes in. All the while we were both trying to convince the alliance to kick the other.

It's acceptable, it sucks when it happens, but you need to pay closer attention.
Ninja Overlord
level1
level1

Postby Ninja Overlord » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:42 am

Wow rawera, that's cool. Usually in diplomacy, if someone does that, they get kicked immediately. In default mode, it's usually not as quick I guess.

And I'm almost surprised that someone voted for "I can't think of a time I wouldn't do that!"

:lol:
Timmeh
level1
level1

Postby Timmeh » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:55 am

It's perfectly fair IMO. If he doesn't want you nuking his units, he can just nuke yours first.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:59 am

It may be cheap, but as I've always made 'cheap' moves in all games so long as they're legitimate and not an exploit . More fool those who don't, and then lose.
parrot of doom
level2
level2

Postby parrot of doom » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Theres nothing cheap about it. It just adds to the danger of playing :)

I think its hysterical. If it happens to me, I tend to sneak all my remaining nukes out of sight, and wait for the moment to retaliate.

Theres nothing quite so funny as seeing your former ally on his way to winning, before you send in the nukes and smash him back to mid-table mediocrity. :D
Dave the Dude
level0

Postby Dave the Dude » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:02 pm

Feud wrote:Well, if I am going to backstab someone, I'm going to let them know I"m doing it. That moment might be just before the first bomb falls, but I will still do it.

If someone is going to double cross me, at least look me in the eye when it happens. If the backstab is pulled off right, it won't really make much of a differance.

Sort of the differance between beating someone up, and beating someone up and then spiting on them. It's almsot a slap in the face.

...a slap in the face.... except that it's a GAME man. Noone has a personal vendetta against you, they just want to win. I reckon the fact that it CAN be done just means you have one more factor to consider when planning your strategy.

The fact that we all have such strong opinions about it highlights what a good game it is :D
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:33 pm

Ninja Overlord wrote:That's not true, if I understand you correctly. There are two ways to defend against the attack if you realize that you're being betrayed.

I'm assuming you won't be able to know. IE you're EU & allied with Africa. Africa fires nukes at (what you think) us Russia, then they hit you. They normally fly over you so nothing suspicious. If someone can easily tell (IE NA & SA alliances & NA launches against SA) then you better just keep your eyes on homeland defense. That's REALLY obvious!

I don't THINK that's the way ally feature was intended, but it IS in the game, so i just consider it a cheap move, (like being a camper in Q3) but a good strategy (like camping. Snipers rifles were included for a reason). Until IV changes that (if they do), you better just do it first. :D

So want to take out EU early? Everyone ally with them then nuke their silo's/airbases. :D
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:33 pm

I've had it happen.

Its cheap, but the thing is....when you see your team mates nukes incoming to you cities, do you just sit back..or maybe not even notice?

It doesn't take more than a few seconds to drop the cease fire or end alliance.
--

I don't think its a major problem at all.
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:20 pm

DEFCON: £10
Computer: £500
Internet connection: £20

Nuking your closest ally to get the top position on the scoreboard: PRICELESS

Return to “General”