Mediterranean?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

the Med - should it be accessible for ships?

yes
62%
no
38%

Total votes: 68
Mr_Friendly
level0

Mediterranean?

Postby Mr_Friendly » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:50 am

poll
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:59 am

Yay! Another yes/no poll!

xander
SODsniper
level3
level3

Postby SODsniper » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:40 am

Also passage thru the Suez and Panama Canals would be nifty...
SODsniper
www.specialopsdivision.com
Building A Better RavenShield Community......One Map At A Time.....
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:45 am

As a mod yes...

as a whole, no, for the sake of keeping the 'classic' Defcon map.

Someone should make a mod with a very specific sailable map. Would look funky I think, but it would offer new strategies for coast huggers.
Ninja Overlord
level1
level1

Postby Ninja Overlord » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:06 am

Hmm.

I think that that's bad idea.

Having more than three or four ships in the Meditteranean would make things way too crowded.

What's more Europe, Russia, Africa, and Asia (assuming Asia can put ships in the Meditteranean) would all put one or two carriers there just to ferret out subs.

On that note, I imagine that, judging from the size of the Meditteranean in the current map, one carrier could cover most of the sea if it's in anti-sub mode. The carriers' anti-sub sonar pings probably have a diameter of several hundred real-life miles.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:13 am

lol

Gibraltar is wider than Panama Canal. If anyone wants Panama, then I want Gibraltar on the basis that it's a wider passage of travel. Plus I couldn't care less about space there- It's a sneaky move to nuke Cairo from the sea from just a few miles offshore of the city itself.

Unless you want to use something called strategy. One has to choose where fleets go in the case of the Americas- there is no turning back and better players adapt with an unfortunate situation they're given. But this isn't about Panama...

Nevertheless, Gibraltar/Med sea first, then panama, and perhaps the suez canal while we're at it, even though you can't sail anywhere near there.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:53 pm

I'd say no, becuase of its size. It is way too small.
Eldkraft
level1
level1

Postby Eldkraft » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:37 pm

If they make Panamacanal available I think they should make the Suez/Med as a similar alternativ, namely a transport for the African and Asian fleet to the Atlantic because this is what the Panamacanal would be for North and south America. But I don't really see the point, the game is fine as it is right now, sure some bugs should be removed and there is some small issues that could get patched but otherwise I'm all into keeping it as simple and clean as possible. Changing the gameplay too much might ruin the game.
mods mods mods for the people..
Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:43 pm

I voted no beacuse it would be so crowded in there and it would look really bad, beacuse ships would crash into each other all the time.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:18 pm

no, it's too small, just like the bering straight. Visualy it would mean ships going over the land masses of north Africa and spain, it would just look wrong.
Keywork
level1
level1

Postby Keywork » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:51 pm

I once got a carrier into the gulf of mexico, but it had to travel over cuba first. ;) a landship lol. It made for good backup radar coverage.
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:03 am

no, it's too small, just like the bering straight. Visualy it would mean ships going over the land masses of north Africa and spain, it would just look wrong.

Spacemonkey is right, but if your still interested... all you have to do is edit the water.bmp and rename it to sailable. Here's an example of what it looks like
http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sailableyi2.png

This is also opens up the Gulf of Mexico, Panama Canal, Suez Canal, and Bering Straight. Figure out the travel nodes yourself, or...*sigh*...let me know and i can work on them if your really interested.
Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:no, it's too small, just like the bering straight. Visualy it would mean ships going over the land masses of north Africa and spain, it would just look wrong.

Mr_Monday wrote:...and Bering Straight. Figure out the travel nodes yourself, or...*sigh*...let me know and i can work on them if your really interested.

Bering Strait is passable you just have to focus on what you doing you cant just tell the ships to go there.
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:11 pm

Bering Strait is passable you just have to focus on what you doing you cant just tell the ships to go there.

Sure you can, but you can also have ships sail over Africa if you focus on what your doing. It is a glitch, the files indicate it should'nt be passable. Editing the travel nodes will also make it so the AI can do it and you won't have an extremely unfair advantage, in addition to being able to "just tell the ships to go there".
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Reported.

xander

Return to “General”