Diplomacy etiquette

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

dutch_camel_NL
level1
level1

Postby dutch_camel_NL » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Same here. Anything goes. If other users make plans, and fit me is their plans, fine with me. But the moment those plans dont fit me, I will backstab, or plan a course of my own. I mean, its a bout war, nothing nice about that. I always prefer to wipe my allies out, at the end of the game.

I dont really like the crying game you sometimes get, when a 2 vs. 4 situations araise. I mean, grow up, its all in the game. Have I eliminated the crying over the spreading of territories by starting a random territories game, do I get this. It is how the game is played, it brings out the best/worst of the players. That is why I really like this game.

:twisted:
Eldkraft
level1
level1

Postby Eldkraft » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:30 am

last night we were 4 against 2 (the two being Africa and Europe), Europe took some hard beating but on the whole he remained intact and our attacks was futile. I was Asia and Russian silos were long gone so I allied with Europe and we made a coordinated attack on the whole of America and ended up winning the game, me 1st and Eu 2nd. That is the thing with Survivalmode, just hang in there...work on the defences.
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:02 am

MrBunsy wrote:I'm an 'anything goes' fan. Not that that would stop be begging for an ally if I ended up outnumbered, but I would still continue playing.

I dont believe you one little bit, you couldnt even hold it back when falken leeched his image you cock
How about a nice game of chess?
GlassThatRock
level1
level1

Postby GlassThatRock » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 am

I've had three games now where nobody backstabbed, though one did get VERY tense in the last half hour with me and another guy getting very nervous about each other's subs and bombers! Was a great game and I do enjoy team wins.

However having had three in a row I had to backstab in my last team game just for a change :wink:

Didn't work very well :roll:
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:19 am

Studders wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:I'm an 'anything goes' fan. Not that that would stop be begging for an ally if I ended up outnumbered, but I would still continue playing.

I dont believe you one little bit, you couldnt even hold it back when falken leeched his image you cock

There's really no need for that, the insult or bringing a seperate topic into this one. :roll:
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:20 am

ah well, ban me
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 am

If I could...if I could. :lol:
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:29 am

----
Last edited by Studders on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:37 am

Grow up. :roll:

Demo users do not get the same privileges as someone who has bought the full game.
Demo users can't create more than 1 on 1 games.
Demo users can't use anything but the default mode.

I think demo players are a good thing, as I get a larger population of different players to play with.
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:38 am

sure, ban me, but this is the game experience i get from demo users.

In my experience, one most often gets exactly what one brings with them.

At this point, I have absolutely no sympathy for your argument.
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:52 am

DueAccident wrote:Grow up. :roll:

Demo users do not get the same privileges as someone who has bought the full game.
Demo users can't create more than 1 on 1 games.
Demo users can't use anything but the default mode.

I think demo players are a good thing, as I get a larger population of different players to play with.

They cant create more than 1 on 1 games but they CAN join them.
Eldkraft
level1
level1

Postby Eldkraft » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:48 am

DueAccident wrote: Demo users can't use anything but the default mode.

Apparently they can play other modes if they join a default server and then the host changes game mode or so I've read on this forum. Maybe something should be done about this?
davejk
level1
level1

Postby davejk » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:51 am

Eldkraft wrote:Apparently they can play other modes if they join a default server and then the host changes game mode.

No. I tried this, and it simply switches the demo player to spectator and doesn't let them change back unless the game mode is set back to being Default.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:34 pm

The Black Knight wrote:I spectated a Diplomacy game the other day where they kicked out USSR and blew it to oblivion. The USA then unexpectedly backstabbed SA and went up to first. Then, unfortunately, SA, Africa, and China stuck together to plan for maybe 1 1/2 HOURS of gametime to strike US (surrounded with navy, simultaneous launches, etc). The funny thing was they sucked and didn't even hit NY.

HOWEVER, the person that was in 2nd did NOT backstab the person in 1st even though he was 3 points behind. How boring! Another spectator and I tried to goad them into backstabbing, but they went into this crap about how it was a team win. VICTORY IS ONLY GIVEN TO ONE PERSON! This mindset is what makes diplomacy great.

P.S. USSR was the HOST, and she was completely annihilated first. I want to give the player "Samantha" praises for sticking through the game and not shutting down the server.

So... you didn't win? I don't care if you were spectating. The Black Knight always triumphs!
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:03 pm

Studders wrote:I dont believe you one little bit, you couldnt even hold it back when falken leeched his image you cock

We don't want to hear it.

What sets Defcon apart from other games is that the complexity and depth aren't in the gameplay mechanics, it's in the overall player-to-player relationships, just like a real nuclear war. Diplomacy is the name of the game. You can be the best rts player around, but if you aren't careful with how you interact with the other players, you'll be gone in a minute. It's that paranoia that Chris wanted to reproduce. You can't trust anybody.

Those who complain about unfair play don't realize that that's what the game's about. Getting the better alliance in the beginning is the challenge. You can stink at coordinating attacks, but rank high anyway because you can talk. You have to speak their language. If someone's complaining and you want to ally with them, complain. If you want to ally with a peacemaker, make peace. But never fall for it yourself.

But for those who get mad at the "team players", they're just another variable to the game. Everyone plays different. If they didn't, where would the variety be?

The only players worth complaining about are those who play to frustrate the other players (unless there's only one of them and five of you) and those who drop when they aren't satisfied with how the game's going (especially as hosts). But anybody who plays to win (without outright cheating) is playing right. Machiavellian methods are welcome.

There are no ethics nor etiquette in nuclear war.

wwarnick

Return to “General”